Skip to Content

President Putin meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu. Kremlin

Russia calls the shots after truce in Syria

Moscow, and not Washington, is calling the shots in the Middle East after the announcement of a ceasefire in Syria.

Published: December 30, 2016, 8:51 am

    Russia and Turkey have acted without the West in establishing a truce in the war-torn country.

    Crucial to this agreement is that it does not include jihadist groups, an ongoing point of friction between Russia and the United States who repeatedly tried and failed to broker such an agreement earlier this year.

    The conditions of the peace negotiations to be held in Astana, Kazakhstan, are currently being discussed. President Vladimir Putin has confirmed that the ceasefire in Syria negotiated by Turkey and Russia is now formally in place.

    The Russian president added: “This agreement we’ve reached is very fragile, as we all understand. It requires special attention and patience, professional attitude, and constant contact with our partners.”

    Earlier on Thursday, the Russian president announced that agreements had been reached on a ceasefire in Syria and readiness to start peace talks. Three documents have been signed. The first document concerning the cessation of hostilities was signed by the Syrian government and the armed opposition. The second document is a package of measures to monitor the ceasefire, while the third one is a statement of readiness to start peace talks.

    Meanwhile the Syrian military command announced it would halt all combat actions throughout the country’s territory from midnight local time. Details of the ceasefire agreement have been provided by the Al-Masdar news agency, which is known to have sources within the Syrian military.

    Members of the UN Security Council are to convene for a closed meeting initiated by Russia to discuss the ceasefire brokered for Syria by Turkey and Russia that took effect at 12:00am on Friday, a diplomatic UN source said.

    “Russia requested this meeting. It is expected to focus on the ceasefire announced in Syria,” a diplomatic source at the UN headquarters told TASS news agency.

    Al-Masdar’s report represents a radical shift noted in the position held by the Turkish government. As Al-Masdar noted earlier, Turkey “facilitated the entry of these Jihadist groups in Syria”. But by sponsoring this agreement with the Islamic Republic of Iran, Turkey – the NATO member – has effectively renounced on its ambition to be further integrated into the alliance.

    The deal obligates some 60 000 militants, as well as the Syrian government and allied militias, to observe the ceasefire. Russia and Turkey are listed as guarantors to the deal.

    The Syrian state news agency SANA, said the agreement excluded foreign sponsored militants such as the Islamic State, Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, the group formerly known as al-Nusra Front, and “groups linked to them”.

    Iran and Egypt will be involved in these negotiations and the United States will be able to join them only once President-elect Donald Trump takes up his position on January 20, 2017. Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Jordan are not part of the negociations either.

    Earlier this month, Qatar, another sponsor of anti-Assad forces, withdrew from the war with Syria after reaching a deal with Rosneft, the largest company in the world, thereby linking its energy policy to Russia.

    karin.bredenkamp@freewestmedia.com

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Middle East

    Pentagon chief ‘no longer doubts’ Syrian chemical weapons

    Pentagon chief, general James Mattis says there is "no doubt" that Syrian government has chemical weapons.

    MIT weapons expert rubbishes White House paper on Syrian attack

    WashingtonAn American weapons expert from MIT believes the Trump administration’s reason for blaming the Assad government for the April 4 chemical attack in the Idlib province is based on lies.

    Trump warns of escalating Syrian conflict in letter to Congress

    WashingtonDonald Trump has written a letter to the US Congress justifying his attack on Syria. The letter would also appear to indicate that the American president is prepared to escalate the conflict.

    Former UK ambassador says no proof of Syrian gas attack

    The former UK ambassador to Syria, Peter Ford, believes the chemical attack in Syria was a false flag operation.

    US missile attack on Syria ends US-Russian cooperation

    WashingtonThe US has attacked a Syrian air base with about 60 missiles in retaliation for an alleged chemical attack in Idlib, US officials say, but Russian President Putin “regards the strikes as aggression against a sovereign nation”.

    UK, US, France blame Assad for chemical attack in Security Council draft resolution

    New YorkDuring an emergency meeting held by the UN Security Council (UNSC) on Wednesday, the suspected chemical attack in Syria's province of Idlib was blamed on the Syrian government. The United Kingdom, France and the United States introduced a draft resolution in the UNSC stating that the alleged April 4 chemical attack in Idlib was ordered by the Syrian army.

    Syrian government denies chemical attack

    The Syrian Air Force hit a warehouse in Idlib province where chemical weapons were being stockpiled for shipping to Iraq, according to Russia’s Defense Ministry.

    Syrian MP Fares Shehabi: ‘We want Turkey to withdraw its invading forces’

    INTERVIEWToday's Europe is shocked by Erodgan's insults and threats, the latest example being him telling Europeans that they "won't be secure on their streets anymore". Syria's Chairman of the Syrian Federation of the Chambers of Industry and member of the parliament Fares Shehabi explains in an exclusive Free West Media interview why he is not surprised at all by Erodgan's behavior.

    UN under-secretary resigns after Israeli apartheid report

    New YorkA United Nations diplomat had to step down Friday after refusing to withdraw a statement accusing Israel of apartheid against Palestinians.

    US to send Rangers and Marines into Raqqa

    RaqqaThe US has sent 400 additional troops to Syria in support of an effort to capture the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, the Islamic State's most important urban area in Syria.

    Go to archive