MH17: Russian official reveals how Ukraine deployed BUK missiles
In court testimony about the MH17 Dutch tragedy, a Russian official revealed how Ukraine deployed 17 BUK missile launchers to eastern Ukraine.
Published: March 9, 2017, 10:55 am
The extent of Ukrainian BUK missile deployments in eastern Ukraine on the day that MH17 was shot down was revealed by Ilya Rogachyov, a Russian Foreign Ministry official. Rogachyov presented evidence to the International Court of Justice in The Hague, where Ukraine is bringing a case against Russia.
London lawyer Samuel Wordsworth QC, a visiting professor at Kings College, is defending Russia in the ICJ against the Ukrainian Government’s claims Vladimir Putin’s federation is financially supporting terrorism by backing “separatists”.
“There is no evidence before the court,” he told the judges, “plausible or otherwise, that Russia provided weaponry to any party with the intent or knowledge that such weaponry be used to shoot down civilian aircraft, as would of course be required under Article 2.1.” Article 2.1 is a key section of the International Convention for the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism.
The Russian authorities have for the first time revealed Ukraine’s deployment of these BUK missile systems, after satellite photos of some of these launchers were made public earlier.
According to Rogachyov: “It is noteworthy that in the summer of 2014 Ukraine’s 156th air defence regiment armed with BUK-M1 systems was in the area of the conflict. The regiment’s command centre and the first unit were in the area of Avdeyevka, near Donetsk, the second unit was near Mariupol, and the third, near Lugansk. All in all the regiment had 17 BUK-M1 systems at its disposal. All were identical to the one the JIT identified as the weapon that downed the air liner.”
The Malaysian Airlines MH17 air disaster in southeast Ukraine “could have been brought down by an accidental launch of a missile by Ukrainian forces during an anti-aircraft exercise”, Russia’s RIA Novosti agency reported, citing an unnamed source in the Ukrainian defence ministry.
“On July 17 the commanding officer of 156th Anti-Aircraft Regiment was instructed to conduct a training exercise of ground troops stationed near Donetsk, which involved deploying the troops, and carrying out a routine tracking and destroying of targets with the BUK-M1 missile,” the source said.
Military exercises with BUK missiles have been banned since 2001, when a Russian Tu-154 passenger airplane en route from Novosibirsk to Tel Aviv was shot down by the Ukrainian military.
It may well be that Ukraine deployed 17 BUK missile launchers to the war zone of eastern Ukraine in the summer of 2014, but that none of these launchers shot down MH17. It is therefore surprising that that Ukraine’s deployment of these systems was not widely known.
The only report on the tragedy done by the Dutch Safety Board (DSB), released on 13 October 2015, did not determine responsibility for the firing of the BUK missile, but the DSB concluded it had been responsible for the destruction of the airliner.
Rather, they narrowed the likely origin of the BUK missile to a 320 square km area that was contested both by the Donbass militia and units of the Ukrainian military.
“Appendix T”, an assessment by the Dutch security services, concluded that there was no evidence the “separatists” had possession of an operable BUK missile; no evidence that they had the training or expertise to fire such a missile and no evidence of any intention or motive to fire such a missile.
The second report that has been published is an interim report of a criminal investigation team under Dutch leadership and including representatives of the Australian Federal Police (AFP). Their deadline for producing a final report has been extended to 2018.
Another gap in the evidence is the data collected from the two US satellites in geostationary orbit over Donbass at the time — data which Obama administration official John Kerry boasted about after the disaster on August 12, 2014.
Fred Westerbeke, the Dutch head of the criminal inquiry, confirmed in a letter to the Dutch victim’s families in February 2016 that the American satellite data had been provided “confidentially” to the criminal investigation. The report, however, is silent about what those satellite images established. But Westerbeke, also said that “there was no evidence of direct involvement of a Russian unit” in the shoot-down of MH17.
In an agreement signed by Australia, Belgium, Netherlands and Ukraine on 7 August 2014, it was established that nothing shall be published arising out of the DSB or criminal inquiry unless all four parties agree. This effectively gives Ukraine a power of veto over any adverse findings.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
The home and car of a pro-Macron elected official from Charente were enveloped by Yellow Vest protesters in quite an unusual way.
RomeMatteo Salivini, Italy's interior minister, said he would meet with French President Emmanuel Macron to demand the extradition of left-wing activists in order to "bring those murderers back to Italy".
The crash of print media in Germany continues. More than 80 percent of major titles lost buyers in the fourth quarter of 2018. Top titles lost readers in the double-digit percentage range.
Brussels“The European Parliament’s fresh decision to increase funding for ‘Soros groups’ once again makes it clear that George Soros is practically dictating Brussels’ migration policy,” ruling Fidesz’s communications chief said on Thursday.
BerlinMerkel's party is now aiming to increase gender quotas. Their blind spot to leftist violence has not changed however.
BerlinThe Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution - as the secret service is called in Germany - has classified the AfD as a so-called "suspect case".
The head of the list for Marine Le Pen's party in the European elections, Jordan Bardella, ruled out the notion of a Frexit, suggesting that perhaps it was no longer so desirable in an "evolving" Europe.
ParisOn Sunday, Marine Le Pen launched her campaign for the May 26 European Parliament election with an appeal to the Yellow Vest movement in a bid to pressure beleaguered President Emmanuel Macron. She said: ”The battle is now between nationalists and globalists.”
ParisYellow Vest mobilization is on the rise, with 84 000 demonstrators counted by the Ministry of the Interior this weekend in Act IX of the French movement. Many clashes between protesters and law enforcement broke out, and more than a hundred arrests took place in Paris.
New YorkThe new friendship agreement between Germany and France will, according to a statement of the German Federal Government, contain a point confirming the support of the idea of a permanent seat for Germany in the UN Security Council.