Skip to Content

Four attacks in Germany, Switzerland in 24 hours

Unknown attackers launched a tear gas assault on a train in Hamburg, Germany, leaving at least six injured, while 50 passengers were affected, including a three-year-old girl. A massive police presence was deployed at the Hamburg train station soon after the attack.

Published: March 11, 2017, 7:17 am

    Read more

    The train was travelling to Hamburg Airport was packed when a gas attack overwhelmed passengers.

    Paramedics on the scene treated passengers for respiratory ailments, the German paper Bild reported. Two young children, aged three and six, were treated for burning eyes and breathing difficulties.

    The latest incident follows a 24 hour period in which the country witnessed an axe attack on a train and at the main railway station in Dusseldorf and a machete attack that injured an 80 year-old man in Dusseldorf earlier on Friday.

    On Friday evening passengers on a train in Hamburg on the S-Bahn line 11 were subjected to a tear gas attack by two young assaillants.

    The attack occurred just before the train reached Sternschanze station in the centre of Hamburg and passengers had to flee into the station to escape the gas.

    Federal police at the train station confirmed reports that the perpetrators were likely two young men who had fled the scene. Rüdiger Carstens, spokesman for the federal police added: “The recordings of the surveillance cameras were secured. The investigations continue.”

    Less than a month ago Hamburg airport had to be partially evacuated as the result of a similar attack when an unknown toxin was released through the airport’s ventilation system. Some 68 people had needed medical attention for breathing difficulties.

    In Düsseldorf, German police arrested a attacker who allegedly went on a rampage with an axe at the city’s main station on Thursday night that left at least seven people injured.

    The suspect jumped from a bridge in an attempt to escape police, but was apprehended and brought to a nearby hospital with severe injuries. Düsseldorf police later identified the suspect as a 36-year-old “from the former Yugoslavia”, while media reports say the man was Bosnian.

    German authorities called the suspect a “mentally ill” person who had “acted alone”.

    In the Swiss city of Basel, police on Friday were hunting for two gunmen who opened fire in a cafe leaving two people dead and a third critically wounded. The victims were identified as Albanians.

    A statement from the office of the local prosecutor said two men entered Cafe 56 early on Thursday and opened fire. They escaped on foot in the direction of a nearby railway station.

    While prosecutors said the motive for the crime was unknown, they believe the assailants specifically targeted the cafe. A police officer told The Associated Press that the attack was not terror-related: “This is a local incident. It has nothing to do with Islamists or terrorism.”

    [mashshare]

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    France joins the race for a militarized space

    ParisThe militarisation of space is being intensified, as an area of growing strategic importance, given that the main arms systems, beginning with nuclear weapons, depend on spatial systems.

    Ex-General: Merkel has shaken the foundations of Germany

    HannoverA former Federal Armed Forces general Joachim Wundrak has accused Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) of undermining Germany's foundations.

    Italian regional court lifts docking ban on Open Arms

    RomeAn Italian regional administrative court (TAR) of Lazio lifted a ban on NGO migrant rescue ship Open Arms entering Italian waters on Wednesday.

    Ocean Viking takes more Africans on board

    RomeThe ship Ocean Viking cruising off Libya has taken another 105 Africans on board. The new arrivals are, according to information from the AFP news agency, exclusively men. Most of them come from Sudan.

    Europe’s energy under threat

    An ongoing Bulgarian legal circus is threatening Europe’s energy diversity.

    The amazing second life of migrant rafts

    BerlinThe inflatable boats of the migrants are transformed by a Berlin company into bags and tote bags sold on the internet... as fashion.

    Salvini mocks Hollywood actor’s intervention on migrant rescue vessel

    On Friday, August 9, the 69-year-old American Hollywood actor Richard Gere boarded a migrant rescue vessel, demanding that Italy stop "demonizing" migrants.

    Italy’s coalition government in tatters after Salvini calls for early elections

    RomeDeputy Premier and League leader Matteo Salvini on Thursday called for Italy to have early elections, saying that the coalition that supports Premier Giuseppe Conte's government has broken down.

    Salvini’s Security Decree wins final approval

    RomeDeputy Premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini's new security decree won final approval this week after clearing the hurdle of a confidence vote in the Italian Senate.

    SOS Méditerranée sends new rescue ship to the Mediterranean

    BerlinThe rescue organisation SOS Méditerranée has set out again for a new mission in the Mediterranean to pick up migrants waiting in Libya to come to the EU.

    Go to archive