Skip to Content

Milan demo; Matteo Salvini
Milan

Italian prosecutor blames collusion between smugglers, charities for migration crisis

According to the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR), some 182 000 migrants crossed the Mediterranean Sea into Italy during 2016, another record year, because, an Italian prosecutor says human traffickers might be colluding with NGOs.

Published: May 4, 2017, 9:03 am

    Read more

    This figure only includes those who were officially registered either by Italian officials or NGOs and not the massive wave of migrants who had gained illegal access.

    The vast majority of foreigners in the EU are illegal, undocumented immigrants, because during 2016, only 2.65 percent of those immigrating into Italy were awarded asylum as refugees, or 4 808 cases.

    Leader of the Northern League political party, Matteo Salvini, announced that he would bring a case against government leaders for promotion of illegal immigration into the country.

    “It is now clear that illegal immigration is organized and financed and for this reason we have decided to bring a case against the government, the President of the Council, the ministers and the commanders of the Navy and the Coast Guard,” Salvini said.

    A famous Italian prosecutor publicly accused rescuers of “colluding with human traffickers” in order to undermine the country’s economy. Carmelo Zuccaro, told Rai 3, a state-owned TV channel that NGOs from search-and-rescue missions are encouraging illegal immigration from Libya.

    Zuccaro is a heavyweight in Italy, fighting organised crime. He has handed down life sentences to some of Italy’s most infamous Mafia crimes.

    In an interview with La Repubblica newspaper on Friday, Zuccaro said the allegations came from credible sources and urged politicians to take action immediately. Salvini praised Zuccaro and said that NGO employees involved in the search-and-rescue missions “should be arrested” and their ships “sunk”.

    Last year Salvini complained that parts of Italy’s most populous city ware now “neither Italy nor Europe” as a result of the “organised invasion” in Milan. “I walked around Milan this morning and some areas of the city are neither Italy nor Europe. They are totally controlled by immigrants.

    “The problem is to block an organised invasion that is producing the ethnic cleansing of Italians and Europeans. In a year we’ll be talking about hundreds of thousands of people arriving.”

    Half of the migrants arriving in Italy, some 90 000, never bothered to request asylum, and disappeared as undocumented immigrants, known in Italian as “clandestini”.

    Two-thirds of the remaining 90 000 migrants who had applied for asylum, had their petitions rejected unconditionally. Another 21 percent were awarded “humanitarian protection,” enabling them to remain in the country, and 14 percent more were given “subsidiary protection”. Despite the fact that the vast majority of immigrants into Italy were denied asylum, fewer than 5 000 were deported in 2016.

    The first quarter of 2017 registered a 30 percent increase compared with the same period in 2016. Italy received another 8 500 migrants in a single weekend over Easter.

    More than 140 000 migrants were housed in Italian shelters last year, a seven-fold increase on 2013, with the migrant now crisis in its third year.

    Salvini told The Express that current slightly stricter measures of document verification by law enforcers were not enough: “The problem is that if a thousand immigrants arrive daily, and they only expel one person per day, those checks will never be enough.

    “Arrivals should be stopped because dealing with the people that are already here is worrying and more than enough. If they continue to arrive, spot checks on refugees will not be useful.”

    Marco Minniti, the Italian interior minister said thousands migrants have been put on flights home in April 2017, mostly to North African countries, including Tunisia – a 24 per cent increase from the same period last year in a bid to save face.

    Meanwhile in Germany, an economics professor confirmed that two-thirds of refugees pouring into the EU are illiterate, without the ability to find work, thus sabotaging the country’s economy.

    Ludger Woessmann, a professor of economics at the University of Munich, told German magazine Zeit 65 percent of Syrian refugees fail to meet international standards on basic reading and writing skills, which may force unemployment rates and demand for social welfare to rapidly go up.

    “With two-thirds regarded as functionally illiterate in accordance with international educational standards, so the necessary training to run local businesses is mostly missing,” Woessmann says.

    “We have to prepare ourselves that the majority of young refugees will fail three-year training courses that contain a high level of theory,” Woessmann says. “Seventy percent of trainees from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq who started training two years ago have already dropped out.”

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    World Cup is destroying UK’s anti-Russian propaganda

    The World Cup in Russia is turning out to be a stunning success and a PR disaster for Britain's anti-Russian cohorts. Even BBC sports journalists and pundits are ignoring propaganda narratives and going off-message to enthuse about everything Russian, especially the welcome they are receiving.

    Migrant accused of teen’s murder boasted about everything being free

    Ali B, the alleged murderer of a German teen, as well as his family raved to relatives back in Iraq that they would not have to work and that they would be given free money by the state.

    Matteo Salvini. Photo: matteoslavini.it

    Salvini calls for Roma census as top Vatican official heads for Bilderberg

    Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini on Monday announced the intention of holding a special census of Roma people in Italy with the intention of closing all illegal Roma camps in the country.

    Head of German job centre caught rioting with extremists

    WuppertalThe German state of North Rhine-Westphalia is already well-stocked with leftists. But the chief of an urban job center has taken his ideology to the next level.

    Salvini blocks two more NGO vessels from entering Italian ports

    RomeOn Saturday Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Salvini warned that another two migrant rescue vessels arriving from the Libyan coast would not be allowed to dock with their "human cargo" at an Italian port.

    Dutch teens are drinking themselves into a coma

    Dutch teenagers drinking themselves to the point of needing to be hospitalised rose again last year, the NRC said on Friday.

    Almost half of Syrian migrants suffer from mental illness Dutch study shows

    More than 40 percent of Syrian asylum applicants in the Netherlands have psychological problems like depression and anxiety or worse, according to a study by the Dutch social and cultural planning office SCP.

    Counter-terrorism gives green light to Wilders’ Mohammad cartoon contest

    Dutch PVV leader Geert Wilders has been given the green light to organise a Mohammed cartoon competition in the Dutch House of Representatives.

    Another teenage girl stabbed to death in Germany

    A Turkish migrant has turned himself in to German police, after the fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old girl in the German town of Viersen, near Düsseldorf.

    NATO announces expansion as trade war with EU hots up

    NATO unveiled new plans during a two-day meeting of its defence ministers in Brussels, ahead of a NATO summit to be attended by US President Donald Trump as the trade war between former allies grows hotter.

    Go to archive