Skip to Content

Assange; Ny

Sweden drops rape investigation into WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange

Sweden has dropped the rape investigation into Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

Published: May 19, 2017, 12:13 pm

    Stockholm

    In a brief statement on the website of the Swedish prosecution authority, the country’s director of public prosecutions, Marianne Ny, “has today decided to discontinue the investigation regarding suspected rape (lesser degree) by Julian Assange”.

    The prosecutor and her deputy, Ingrid Isgren, will speak at a media briefing later on Friday, according to the statement.

    Marianne Ny filed a request to the Stockholm District Court to revoke his arrest warrant, to end the seven-year stand-off.

    The famous hacker, 45, has always denied the rape allegations against him and was interviewed in the embassy in London six months ago in the presence of Swedish officials.

    A second allegation of sexual assault, made by a second Swedish woman, was dropped by Swedish authorities in 2015 after the statute of limitations had expired.

    Assange, has lived in the Ecuadoran embassy in London since 2012, fearing extradition to the US if sent to Sweden. Despite Sweden’s decision, he could still be detained by UK police and face extradition to the US.

    Assange would probably stand trial in the US over the leaking hundreds of thousands of secret US military and diplomatic documents.

    Wikileaks tweeted after the Swedish announcement to drop charges that the “focus now moves to the UK”, adding that the UK had “refused to confirm or deny whether it has already received a US extradition warrant for Julian Assange”.

    But the Metropolitan police in London issued a statement confirming a warrant for the arrest of Assange following his failure to surrender to the court on 29 June 2012. It stated that the service was “obliged to execute the warrant should he leave the embassy”.

    But it added: “Whilst Mr Assange was wanted on a European arrest warrant (EAW) for an extremely serious offence, the MPS response reflected the serious nature of that crime. Now that the situation has changed and the Swedish authorities have discontinued their investigation into that matter, Mr Assange remains wanted for a much less serious offence. The MPS will provide a level of resourcing which is proportionate to that offence.”

    The announcement follows a letter sent to the Swedish government by the government of Ecuador saying there had been a “serious failure” by the prosecutor, including a “lack of initiative” to complete inquiries, the Telegraph noted.

    The press has gathered in front of the embassy in large numbers.

    The new CIA director, Mike Pompeo, appointed by president Donald Trump. called WikiLeaks a “hostile intelligence service” recently and a threat to US national security.

    The new US attorney general, Jeff Sessions, last month said Assange’s arrest was a priority. Although there are no charges against him as yet, media reports suggest that the US justice department is considering such charges.

    “We’ve already begun to step up our efforts and whenever a case can be made, we will seek to put some people in jail,” Sessions said.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Migrants don’t want to go to Portugal

    It appears to be the true picture of Portugal that migrants do not want to go to the country as other EU members await the imminent arrival of millions of Africans.

    Van rams into holidaymakers in Barcelona, police foil second attack

    The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack in which 13 people were killed and over a hundred pedestrians injured when a white van rammed into unsuspecting holidaymakers.

    OSCE Monitor on Ukraine: Deadly violence has doubled since last year

    INTERVIEWInterview with Alexander Hug, Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine.

    Cars as weapons: Could hackers be part of the growing problem?

    A car crashed through the front of a pizzeria on Monday evening in Seine-et-Marne, near Paris, killing a teenage girl. The 32-year-old male driver is believed to have "intentionally" crashed into the terrace on Rue du Commerce, Sept-Sorts in a "drugged state".

    Oligarch in trouble

    MOSCOWMoscow: Russian national oil company Rosneft joins a historical law battle against oligarch Vladimir Yevtushenkov

    MSF suspends its migrant rescue operations off Libyan coast

    RomeDoctors Without Borders (MSF) will suspend its migrant rescues in the Mediterranean, the organisation declared on Saturday after Italian government moved to halt the human trafficking from North Africa.

    Journalist who exposed German government bias in media coverage faces backlash

    German-Dutch freelance reporter Claudia Zimmermann faced innumerable hardships after exposing her employer, German public broadcaster WDR, for Soviet-style censorship of the migrant crisis. Zimmermann faced rejected contributions, calls to boycott her and even a public letter refuting her reporting which she says had been strictly factual.

    Knife crime surges in London with migrant influx

    LondonThe Weekly Standard (WS), a British daily, reported that the recent influx of African migrants, particularly from Somalia and the Congo, has caused a spike in knife crimes.

    Italian PM met Soros in secret as web of Soros-funded NGO’s is exposed

    RomeThe Italian Prime Minister met with George Soros in secret in May, just as concerned Italians were beginning to expose the spiderweb of Soros-funded NGO's operating in the country to promote immigration.

    Poland not considering deployment of US missiles, says minister

    WarsawPoland is not considering the deployment of US medium-and short-range missiles on its territory for the moment, Polish Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski told the Kommersant business daily.

    Go to archive