Sweden outsourced vehicle database, leaked huge amount of sensitive data
The Swedish vehicle database, containing all photos and addresses of car owners in the country, including persons with secret identities as well as military vehicles, has possibly been leaked.
Published: July 25, 2017, 9:11 pm
The possible leak occurred when the Swedish Transport Authority, Transportstyrelsen, decided to outsource it’s database to IBM to save money, a contract worth some 80 million euro. The data was migrated to a cloud server abroad and specialists from different countries were granted full access to the database with highest privileges without previous security screening required by law.
This has been leaked:
- All Swedish driver’s licences have been accessible to software developers in Czechia.
- Addresses of persons with secret identities if they had a vehicle registered in their name. Serbian specialists managed firewalls and communications.
- The leak included parts of the military vehicles database.
- The Police criminal record and record of suspects.
- Company secrets concerning new cars, since the Authority is responsible for approving new vehicle designs.
The leak has affected millions of citizens in Sweden and was called a “disaster” by Sweden’s PM Stefan Löfven. Together with the head of the Swedish secret police, SÄPO, Commander-in-chief, Minister of Defence and the newly appointed Director of the Transportation Authority, he held a press meeting on July 24th about the dire situation.
SÄPO Director Anders Thornberg said that it is not known if the sensitive data had reached a foreign power.
– We have done an assessment and we do not know if the information has been revealed, but we act as if it had been revealed and are taking necessary steps to protect our continuous work, Thomberg said.
Commander-in-chief Micael Bydén said that high level secret information concerning military vehicles is managed internally by the Swedish Armed Forces.
– The Swedish Armed Forces are affected when it comes to certain data regarding vehicles and high level classified personal identities, Bydén said.
The then Director of the Transport Authority, Maria Ågren, authorised the bypassing of the security regulation, signing a document titled “Departure from current jurisdiction”, which some critics translate as “breaking the law”. In effect three laws have been violated, governing the security of the state, protecting personal integrity and regulating what is public and what is not, as well as regulations within the agency it self.
Ågren did this despite the agency’s security department objections, and didn’t inform the government until SÄPO launched an investigation against her. Only then did she call her superiors, informing them that SÄPO instructed her to stop the ongoing work, but that she would carry on as planned anyway. She didn’t receive any instructions from the government after this.
Half year later, in January 2017, she was sentenced to a 7 000 euro fine and fired from her job. The government kept quiet about it until the scandal exploded in the media this July.
PM Löfven told reporters on July 24th that he still has full confidence in his Ministers.
MP Tomas Tobé for the conservative-liberal party Moderaterna and chairman of the Committee on Justice in the Parliament, tweeted: “It is obvious that the government tried to cover up this security scandal. Unbelievable!”.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack in which 13 people were killed and over a hundred pedestrians injured when a white van rammed into unsuspecting holidaymakers.
INTERVIEWInterview with Alexander Hug, Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine.
A car crashed through the front of a pizzeria on Monday evening in Seine-et-Marne, near Paris, killing a teenage girl. The 32-year-old male driver is believed to have "intentionally" crashed into the terrace on Rue du Commerce, Sept-Sorts in a "drugged state".
MOSCOWMoscow: Russian national oil company Rosneft joins a historical law battle against oligarch Vladimir Yevtushenkov
RomeDoctors Without Borders (MSF) will suspend its migrant rescues in the Mediterranean, the organisation declared on Saturday after Italian government moved to halt the human trafficking from North Africa.
German-Dutch freelance reporter Claudia Zimmermann faced innumerable hardships after exposing her employer, German public broadcaster WDR, for Soviet-style censorship of the migrant crisis. Zimmermann faced rejected contributions, calls to boycott her and even a public letter refuting her reporting which she says had been strictly factual.
LondonThe Weekly Standard (WS), a British daily, reported that the recent influx of African migrants, particularly from Somalia and the Congo, has caused a spike in knife crimes.
RomeThe Italian Prime Minister met with George Soros in secret in May, just as concerned Italians were beginning to expose the spiderweb of Soros-funded NGO's operating in the country to promote immigration.
WarsawPoland is not considering the deployment of US medium-and short-range missiles on its territory for the moment, Polish Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski told the Kommersant business daily.
Libyan General Khalifa Haftar has ordered his faction to bomb Italian vessels deployed in a mission to provide naval support to Libya, according to a tweet published by broadcaster Al Arabiya. The announcement comes after Italy impounded a German NGO vessel on suspicion of human trafficking.