Skip to Content

Threat of ISIS attacks in France ‘very high’ says minister

France says 271 alleged militants have come home from Iraq and Syria, pushing the threat of militant attacks in France to “very high”.

Published: August 6, 2017, 1:25 pm

    Read more


    French Interior Minister Gerard Collumb told the French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche that the suspected ISIS militants who returned to France are under investigation for terrorist activities in war zones.

    The number of returnees includes 217 adults and 54 minors, some who are currently in detention. Collumb told the Sunday weekly it was difficult to estimate exactly how many French nationals had been killed in the conflict in the Middle East. It is estimated that some 700 French nationals have fought for ISIS in Iraq in Syria.

    An undisclosed number of them have been detained while the rest are being vetted by public prosecutors, the interior minister said.

    France participated in the US led coalition in Iraq, along with other European countries, but many are now struggling with an influx of returnees from war zones.

    Collumb says France’s military interventions in such zones have exposed the country to attacks by ISIS militants. He cited two different incidences where police were targeted on Paris’ Champs Elysees as well as seven foiled plots so far this year.

    More than 18 500 jihadist suspects are currently listed, he said, as an increasing number of people are being flagged for radicalised behavior under a preventative monitoring system. But as in Britain, French authorities said that not all suspects were being constantly monitored; smaller numbers are investigated at regular intervals.

    A counter-terrorism bill is expected to be put before parliament soon to put anti-terror measures into law. Since the November 2015 attacks, France has been in a state of emergency, giving law enforcement extended powers.

    According to the US intelligence community, some 40 000 foreign fighters are estimated to have joined ISIS in Iraq and Syria since they first declared their “caliphate” in 2014.

    The returnees have become equipped “with a whole new set of skills, a whole new set of contacts, perhaps even specialized skills that go into the areas of weapons of mass destruction,” the Director of the US National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC), Nicholas Rasmussen, told the Aspen Security Forum last month.

    Adam Deen of London’s anti-radical Quilliam Foundation said ISIS losses would lead to increased danger in Europe. “What is important here is that the more Isis are under siege and the more territory they’re losing, the more they’re going to channel their efforts and energies into terrorism,” he said in an interview with The Independent.

    According to author Yves Mamou, in France’s Muslim population of at least six million, some 17 393 people had been listed as terror suspects, slightly less than the current figure cited by the Minister.

    In April 2017, the French Senate published its “Prevention of Radicalism and Regional Authorities” report, showing that since the beginning of March, 17 393 people listed as terror suspects.

    The head of the counter-terrorism coordination unit in France, Loic Garnier, told Le Figaro in January that around 700 French citizens were currently in Syria or Iraq.

    In May, the general secretariat of Interpol, published a list of Islamic State fighters who were thought to have already returned to Europe and may be planning suicide attacks in different countries. US intelligence had gained such information from terrorists captured during the assault on ISIS in Syria and Iraq.

    Interpol has circulated a list of 173 Islamic State fighters it believes could have been trained to mount suicide attacks in Europe in revenge for the group’s military defeats in the Middle East.

    European counter-terror networks are concerned that as the ISIS “caliphate” collapses, there is an increasing risk of determined suicide bombers attacking Europe.

    But in the last 30 years, more mosques and Muslim prayer centers have been built in France than all the Catholic churches built in the last century.

    In France, strict laws protect old trees, but the state is free to demolish old Christian churches. A wrecking crew demolished the famed Chapel of Saint Martin in Sablé-sur-Sarthe, built in 1880-1886 and deconsecrated in 2015. The site will be used as a parking lot.

    Confusion meanwhile reigns in Germany, for example, as to how many such conflict-hardened individuals there are. According to a report from the Federal Criminal Police Office [Bundeskriminalamt], the number of suspects is on the rise, but they list only 657 people as capable of carrying out an attack, alongside another 388 “relevant persons” who might lend assistance to perpetrators.

    Separate information, however, from the country’s domestic intelligence agency, the Federal Office for Protection of the Constitution [Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz], stated that the number of radicals in Germany had risen from 8 350 in 2015 to 10 100 in 2016, with 680 classified as “dangerous”.

    Hundreds of jihadists have gained entry to Germany as ordinary migrants welcomed into the country during the two previous years, some analysts have warned. Overall, however, the same agency estimates that 24 400 Islamists are active in Germany, a figures similar to that of the UK.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.


    Islamo-leftists march in London

    LondonThousands of demonstrators gathered in London to protest against the "evil of racism" and "Islamophobia" in a strong show of Islamo-leftism.

    Porton Down not able to identify chemical used on Russian ex-spy

    Well-placed sources inside the British Foreign Office have confirmed that Porton Down scientists were not able to identify the nerve agent as being of Russian manufacture, and are angry about the political pressure from inside the government to lie about the poison being Russian.

    Joint allied statement against Russia after UK ignores OCPW convention

    LondonOn 15 March, the United Kingdom, together with allies Germany, France and the United States, issued a collective statement alleging that ex-spy Sergey Skripal and his daughter Yulia were poisoned by agents of the Russian Federation.

    Britain’s spy hysteria is damaging its credibility and standing

    LondonThe actions of the British government in response to the alleged poisoning of a British double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter is damaging Britain's credibility and international standing.

    Cost of EU Parliament steeply rising

    The costs of the European parliament have been steeply increasing since 2011. It won’t take long before it hits 2 billion euros a year, a Dutch newspaper reported.

    Telford: largest child sex abuse scandal in history ignored by the BBC

    The Sunday Mirror reported this weekend that a young English girl could be one of up to 1000 victims of grooming or child sexual abuse in the Shropshire town over the last four decades, thought to be one of the worst of its kind in modern Britain.

    UK Foreign Office issued letter in pidgin English to banned speakers

    LondonConservative vlogger Brittany Pettibone was given a letter written in pidgin English denying her leave to enter the UK. Pettibone, an American citizen and her partner the Austrian Identitarian activist Martin Sellner were both held in detention in the UK and denied entry into the country.

    Mainstream Polish author barred from UK visit

    LondonWhile the UK ban on two visiting conservatives from Austria and the US, Martin Sellner and Brittany Pettibone made headlines, the UK ban on award-winning Polish journalist received little attention.

    Dutch politicians call for end to EU’s ‘fact checking’

    The HagueDutch home affairs minister Kasja Ollongren is facing pressure from a majority of Dutch MPs who want on Brussels to disband its "fact checking" unit known as EU vs Disinfo.

    Facebook censors Flemish nationalists protecting historic castle

    A Flemish patriotic youth group launched a video on Facebook in which they pledge to defend their Flemish heritage and their future, but it was taken down quickly.

    Go to archive