Skip to Content

UK funds security at Ouistreham port to prevent second Calais

Britain will direct funds to tighten security at Ouistreham port in Normandy, France, after an influx of migrants have fuelled fears that it could become a second Calais.

Published: October 9, 2017, 12:14 pm

    The UK has spent more than €100 million on security in Calais in three years, according to the French authorities.

    The French Interior Ministry said the British authorities had been asked to contribute to the cost of improved security at the port, adding that “an agreement is in the process of being concluded”.

    Officials refused however to say what it would cost British taxpayers but explained that the aim was to “prevent intrusions [into the port] in order to dissuade the migrants from attempting a clandestine journey to the UK”.

    Ouistreham has become a destination of choice for migrants looking to enter the UK, which is why British authorities have been asked to contribute to the cost of improved security, French authorities said.

    “I am worried because I have seen fear and panic rising in the past few days. The subject of migrants nourishes almost all the conversations of the people of Ouistreham at all time. I have the impression that some people are tempted to say that if the response does not come from the state, it will come from themselves,” a local resident said.

    The illegals are attempting to reach Britain by breaking into trucks leaving for the UK. The port of Ouistreham, south of Calais’ ports and a Eurotunnel entrance, has seen a rise in migrants in the area.

    On Thursday a group of about 100 young migrants from Sudan and Eritrea tried to board a truck. A witness to the incident told the Daily Mail: “As soon as the truck stopped at the red light the migrants were quickly trying to jump on.

    “Only one made in on board before the lights changed. This is happening almost every day. They know exactly when the ferries leave for Britain and plan their days around these timetables.

    “Unlike Calais, there are not hundreds of policemen stopping them. At the moment they see this as their best chance of success.”

    Local residents are furious about the increased number of migrants in their town – especially after an 11-year-old girl became a victim of sexual violence. The mayor of Ouistreham has asked more gendarmes against the influx of migrants.

    Romain Bail, the mayor, gave a press conference explaining that an 11-year-old girl “had undergone an attempt at sexual interference (…) by a Sudanese migrant (..) near the port of Ouistreham “.

    The migrants was released soon after after a reminder of the law and “entrusted to the childhood and family department of the county council”.

    Bail complained about the increasing number and “the permanent settlement of about fifty migrants in Ouistreham for two months now. This situation is no longer acceptable and can not last. There is not a day when I am not told about it and persistently. The City can not deal with this on its own.”

    He expressed regret that the city’s charitable associations “distribute food and clothing to these young migrants. And that on the public road when it is forbidden.” He appealed to the government: “There is an abandonment of the state and this creates tensions and psychosis among the Ouistreham residents.”

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.


    Ukrainian pilot suspected of shooting down MH17 found dead

    The Ukrainian pilot Vladislav Voloshin, whom his colleague Yevgeny Agapov had accused of involvement in the shooting down of flight MH17, has been found dead.

    Islamo-leftists march in London

    LondonThousands of demonstrators gathered in London to protest against the "evil of racism" and "Islamophobia" in a strong show of Islamo-leftism.

    Porton Down not able to identify chemical used on Russian ex-spy

    Well-placed sources inside the British Foreign Office have confirmed that Porton Down scientists were not able to identify the nerve agent as being of Russian manufacture, and are angry about the political pressure from inside the government to lie about the poison being Russian.

    Joint allied statement against Russia after UK ignores OCPW convention

    LondonOn 15 March, the United Kingdom, together with allies Germany, France and the United States, issued a collective statement alleging that ex-spy Sergey Skripal and his daughter Yulia were poisoned by agents of the Russian Federation.

    Britain’s spy hysteria is damaging its credibility and standing

    LondonThe actions of the British government in response to the alleged poisoning of a British double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter is damaging Britain's credibility and international standing.

    Cost of EU Parliament steeply rising

    The costs of the European parliament have been steeply increasing since 2011. It won’t take long before it hits 2 billion euros a year, a Dutch newspaper reported.

    Telford: largest child sex abuse scandal in history ignored by the BBC

    The Sunday Mirror reported this weekend that a young English girl could be one of up to 1000 victims of grooming or child sexual abuse in the Shropshire town over the last four decades, thought to be one of the worst of its kind in modern Britain.

    UK Foreign Office issued letter in pidgin English to banned speakers

    LondonConservative vlogger Brittany Pettibone was given a letter written in pidgin English denying her leave to enter the UK. Pettibone, an American citizen and her partner the Austrian Identitarian activist Martin Sellner were both held in detention in the UK and denied entry into the country.

    Mainstream Polish author barred from UK visit

    LondonWhile the UK ban on two visiting conservatives from Austria and the US, Martin Sellner and Brittany Pettibone made headlines, the UK ban on award-winning Polish journalist received little attention.

    Dutch politicians call for end to EU’s ‘fact checking’

    The HagueDutch home affairs minister Kasja Ollongren is facing pressure from a majority of Dutch MPs who want on Brussels to disband its "fact checking" unit known as EU vs Disinfo.

    Go to archive