Skip to Content

Adam Szymczyk; Documenta 'art'

AfD sues Kassel’s international art fair directors

Documenta, Germany’s leading contemporary art festival which takes place every five years in the city of Kassel, was sued before the completion of an audit due in November by the AfD.

Published: November 12, 2017, 7:19 am

    Read more

    Members of the AfD of the Kassel city council, filed criminal charges. The head of Documenta, Adam Szymczyk, Managing Director Annette Kulenkampff and the former Supervisory Board Bertram Hilgen, are accused of embezzlement and other crimes.

    The reason given by the AfD for the legal move is, inter alia, “dubious cash transactions” which were executed “deliberately taking into account a deficit of at least 5.4 million euros” that needed clarification by the public prosecutor.

    Despite dire financial difficulties, and with its organisers admitting that it’s still unclear how it made use of its $44 million budget, Documenta enjoyed its 14th exhibition earlier this year with a focus on “refugees”.

    In August, the AfD had criticised a sculpture by Nigerian-American artist Olu Oguibe. The work consists of a black, 16-foot obelisk etched with an unashamed political message: the bible verse Matthew 25:35: “I was a stranger and you took me in.” The phrase is repeated on each of the structure’s four sides in English, German, Turkish, and Arabic.

    The AfD has described the sculpture as “disfigured art”. Kassel city council member Thomas Materner, a member of AfD, caused controversy with his description which Documenta fans said “sounded like” the Nazi term “degenerate art”.

    Materner has meanwhile doubled down, calling the work “disfiguring” because of its pro-migration message. He has threatened that AfD would hold demonstrations at the monument “after each terrorist attack carried out by a refugee or immigrant”.

    At the request of the Austrian newspaper, Der Standard, the Documenta responded: “There will be no statement from our side.” Kulenkampff told the Süddeutsche Zeitung however that the allegations were baseless.

    Documenta’s leadership has been sued by the AfD’s council members, because they say the festival has clearly misappropriated funds, according to a report by Henri Neuendorf in artnet. Neuendorf says the scandal has set off a debate about political and economic “threats to artistic freedom”.

    This year’s Documenta took place in Athens, Greece as well as Kassel, an expensive decision which meant that the state of Hesse and the city government had to step in at the last minute to act as financial guarantors, with each contributing a $4 million loan to keep the festival’s creditors from pouncing.

    Faced with imminent bankruptcy, the demise of the non-profit documenta gGmbH was only averted because the state of Hesse and the city of Kassel took over guarantees.

    When the dramatic news of possible bankruptcy struck, a special meeting of the Supervisory Board was held in Wiesbaden on August 28, 2017, and Documenta director Szymczyk was not invited. Also “it seems certain that Annette Kulenkampff will lose her job as documenta CEO” German daily HNA reported.

    Where the millions have disappeared to, is still unclear. In the meantime independent auditors have been sent to the offices of the non-profit, and according to HNA information, the Athens site is said to have cost much more than was planned.

    The number of visitors has also declined: instead of a 20 percent increase, a drop of three percent was expected. Meanwhile, official requests for information were blocked.

    In September, a group of over 200 “artists and intellectuals”, including Jonas Mekas, Alvin Lucier, Antonio Negri and Geta Brătescu signed a letter in support of the festival’s leadership, reported artnet, praising Documenta’s focus on “social justice”.

    “What we do not need is a neoliberal logic, as well as its institutional critique, that does not allow the possibility of alternative methods, stories, and experiences,” the letter by the “artists” read. Unsurprisingly, most depend on handouts from Documenta.

    Far removed from “institutional critique”, the Nigerian sculpture is actually undiluted institutional propaganda, critics say.

    The lawsuit specifically targets artistic director Szymczyk, CEO Kulenkampff, former board chairman and mayor Christian Geselle, as well as current board member and sitting mayor Bertram Hilgen.

    Documenta managing director Kulenkampff instructed employees to offer the merchandising products to visitors waiting in line at the exhibition halls – offensive marketing, which can also be interpreted as a act of desperation.

    Earlier this year, the AfD became the first anti-immigration party to win seats in the German parliament. The party’s busy year has also included previous conflict with Documenta.

    An independent audit of the festival by PricewaterhouseCoopers is due to be published by November.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    World Cup is destroying UK’s anti-Russian propaganda

    The World Cup in Russia is turning out to be a stunning success and a PR disaster for Britain's anti-Russian cohorts. Even BBC sports journalists and pundits are ignoring propaganda narratives and going off-message to enthuse about everything Russian, especially the welcome they are receiving.

    Migrant accused of teen’s murder boasted about everything being free

    Ali B, the alleged murderer of a German teen, as well as his family raved to relatives back in Iraq that they would not have to work and that they would be given free money by the state.

    Matteo Salvini. Photo: matteoslavini.it

    Salvini calls for Roma census as top Vatican official heads for Bilderberg

    Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini on Monday announced the intention of holding a special census of Roma people in Italy with the intention of closing all illegal Roma camps in the country.

    Head of German job centre caught rioting with extremists

    WuppertalThe German state of North Rhine-Westphalia is already well-stocked with leftists. But the chief of an urban job center has taken his ideology to the next level.

    Salvini blocks two more NGO vessels from entering Italian ports

    RomeOn Saturday Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Salvini warned that another two migrant rescue vessels arriving from the Libyan coast would not be allowed to dock with their "human cargo" at an Italian port.

    Dutch teens are drinking themselves into a coma

    Dutch teenagers drinking themselves to the point of needing to be hospitalised rose again last year, the NRC said on Friday.

    Almost half of Syrian migrants suffer from mental illness Dutch study shows

    More than 40 percent of Syrian asylum applicants in the Netherlands have psychological problems like depression and anxiety or worse, according to a study by the Dutch social and cultural planning office SCP.

    Counter-terrorism gives green light to Wilders’ Mohammad cartoon contest

    Dutch PVV leader Geert Wilders has been given the green light to organise a Mohammed cartoon competition in the Dutch House of Representatives.

    Another teenage girl stabbed to death in Germany

    A Turkish migrant has turned himself in to German police, after the fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old girl in the German town of Viersen, near Düsseldorf.

    NATO announces expansion as trade war with EU hots up

    NATO unveiled new plans during a two-day meeting of its defence ministers in Brussels, ahead of a NATO summit to be attended by US President Donald Trump as the trade war between former allies grows hotter.

    Go to archive