Skip to Content

Emmanuel Macron (Wikipedia)

French president eyes military service, also in ‘social’ domain

President Emmanuel Macron wants to re-introducing compulsory national military service for youngsters in France two decades after it was scrapped to forge unity.

Published: February 13, 2018, 6:34 pm

    It seems that the government is keen to also set up an army of social justice warriors as a way to promote social cohesion by bringing young people from different backgrounds together for a month.

    Young men and women to be given the chance also “to fight in the social, environmental and cultural domains” if they choose, his government said.

    Twenty-one years after the suppression of military service by President Jacques Chirac in 1996, the hypothesis of the return of a new form of conscription has never been closer.

    Macron’s spokesperson said that the service “could also be a civic engagement”, or “how you give your time usefully to the nation”.

    Macron is the first French president to never have been called up to serve, having come of age after conscription ended.

    In fact, all three of the main candidates for the past presidential election had wanted to recreate compulsory military training: Jean-Luc Mélenchon, Emmanuel Macron as well as Marine Le Pen.

    The army is not happy with Macron’s plan however. French anti-terrorism operations in the Middle East and West Africa as well as the threat of jihadists at home, have depleted their budgets they say.

    Opposition parties have warned of the high costs involved in training up 600 000 and 800 000 youngsters a year.

    Last week, Defence Minister Florence Parly appeared to cast doubt on the scope of the plan, saying it would “probably not be obligatory”, AFP reported.

    But on Tuesday, government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux insisted that Macron would would go ahead with the plan. “It will be universal… and it will be obligatory,” he told Radio Classique, adding that a taskforce would study its implementation.

    The government plans to trial the programme at the start of 2019.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    World Cup is destroying UK’s anti-Russian propaganda

    The World Cup in Russia is turning out to be a stunning success and a PR disaster for Britain's anti-Russian cohorts. Even BBC sports journalists and pundits are ignoring propaganda narratives and going off-message to enthuse about everything Russian, especially the welcome they are receiving.

    Migrant accused of teen’s murder boasted about everything being free

    Ali B, the alleged murderer of a German teen, as well as his family raved to relatives back in Iraq that they would not have to work and that they would be given free money by the state.

    Matteo Salvini. Photo: matteoslavini.it

    Salvini calls for Roma census as top Vatican official heads for Bilderberg

    Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini on Monday announced the intention of holding a special census of Roma people in Italy with the intention of closing all illegal Roma camps in the country.

    Head of German job centre caught rioting with extremists

    WuppertalThe German state of North Rhine-Westphalia is already well-stocked with leftists. But the chief of an urban job center has taken his ideology to the next level.

    Salvini blocks two more NGO vessels from entering Italian ports

    RomeOn Saturday Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Salvini warned that another two migrant rescue vessels arriving from the Libyan coast would not be allowed to dock with their "human cargo" at an Italian port.

    Dutch teens are drinking themselves into a coma

    Dutch teenagers drinking themselves to the point of needing to be hospitalised rose again last year, the NRC said on Friday.

    Almost half of Syrian migrants suffer from mental illness Dutch study shows

    More than 40 percent of Syrian asylum applicants in the Netherlands have psychological problems like depression and anxiety or worse, according to a study by the Dutch social and cultural planning office SCP.

    Counter-terrorism gives green light to Wilders’ Mohammad cartoon contest

    Dutch PVV leader Geert Wilders has been given the green light to organise a Mohammed cartoon competition in the Dutch House of Representatives.

    Another teenage girl stabbed to death in Germany

    A Turkish migrant has turned himself in to German police, after the fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old girl in the German town of Viersen, near Düsseldorf.

    NATO announces expansion as trade war with EU hots up

    NATO unveiled new plans during a two-day meeting of its defence ministers in Brussels, ahead of a NATO summit to be attended by US President Donald Trump as the trade war between former allies grows hotter.

    Go to archive