Skip to Content

Stock photo from Pixabay

Rubbish dump collapse kills 17 Africans

Seventeen people have been killed and many more are feared dead, after heavy rains caused the partial collapse of a rubbish dump in Mozambique.

Published: February 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

    Read more

    The mountain of waste had reached the height of a three-story building, according to Portuguese news agency Lusa.

    The 15-metre high dump collapsed, destroying seven houses, and rescuers fear more bodies may be buried under waste at the Hulene landfill, just outside the capital, Maputo.

    Scavengers living close to the site have fled fearing another collapse of the only official dump for Maputo’s 3.5 million people.

    Despedida Rita, a councillor for Ka Mavota Municipal District, confirmed the deaths.

    Nearly 55 percent of Mozambique’s population – about 14 million people – live in total poverty, according to the United Nations Development Programme. Many of them in the country’s capital rely on the rubbish dump to survive. The Hulene dump is located in a densely populated neighbourhood.

    In Ethiopia’s largest rubbish dump collapse last year, the lives of at least 65 people were lost.

    As in Ethiopia, the dead in the Maputo collapse could include those squatting near the landfill site to search for food and items to sell.

    A spokesman for the emergency services, Leonilde Pelembe, said more victims have been buried under the waste. “The information we received from local authorities is that the number of people living in those houses exceeds the number of deaths recorded,” Pelembe said.

    The Hulene district of Maputo is one of the poorest parts of the capital. Maria Huo, a resident, told AFP that authorities had failed to introduce safety.

    “It’s been more than 10 years that the dump should have been closed because it’s full, but they still continue to pile trash on the trash. The consequence is this,” Teresa Mangue, spokesperson for the residents, said.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Africa

    Turkish state broadcaster calls white farm murders in South Africa a ‘myth’

    Turkish state broadcaster TRT World released a video last week claiming that the ongoing white genocide in South Africa is a "myth".

    White farmer’s union welcomes Trump tweet as IMF lauds land grab

    The conservative South African agricultural union, TAU SA believes that its long-time international campaign to bring farm murders to the world's attention, has begun to produce results, and is therefore pleased about the announcement made by American president, Donald Trump to investigate the possible expropriation of land without compensation as well as the farm murders.

    The true facts about land and farm murders in South Africa

    PretoriaThe American president's tweet about the land grabs in South Africa, expressed a justified concern about events unfolding. Those who doubt the veracity of Donald Trump's tweet should familiarize themselves with the facts about farm murders and the threat to property rights in the country.

    Trump tweets on South African land grab and genocide of white farmers

    President Donald Trump's tweet about South Africa's land grab policy and farm murders, made global news today.

    The mainstream media is silent about the coming crisis in South Africa

    A researcher at the American Cato Institute has warned that South Africa will soon be going down the same disasterous path as its neighbour Zimbabwe did in 2000. The mainstream media is eerily silent about the coming crisis.

    South Africa: ‘You can’t conjure up farmers’

    The futility of trying to debate with the ANC at the recent public hearings on the South African government’s proposal to introduce legislation permitting land to be expropriated without compensation, was obvious. ANC supporters would only respond that they were "sick and tired of white people".

    South Africa’s ANC regime expropriates first white-owned farms amid ‘land panic’

    Will South Africa follow Zimbabwe into hyperinflation and economic collapse as white farmers' land gets confiscated? Both farmers and the country's banks are frightened by the ANC regime's radical plans for 'expropriation without compensation'.

    Polish activist Janusz Waluś’s parole hearing

    The long fight of anticommunist activist Janusz Waluś to free himself from a South African prison will continue in court today as he seeks again to be released on parole and deported to his country of birth, Poland.

    African Athletics Championship a complete disaster

    The African Athletics Championship held in Nigeria, has not turned into showing Africa’s sporting prowess to the world, but into an embarrassing fiasco.

    Crisis in multicultural Cape Town as trains go up in smoke

    Trains are regularly burnt in Cape Town by commuters, while City officials speak of "sabotage".

    Go to archive