Skip to Content

Stock photo from Pixabay

Kenya: Neurosurgeon operates on wrong patient

A neurosurgeon has been suspended for opening up the head of the wrong patient at Kenyatta National Hospital.

Published: March 4, 2018, 10:21 am

    Nairobi

    Two men had been wheeled into KNH unconscious last Sunday, Kenya Today reported. One needed head surgery to remove a blood clot while the other only required medication to heal a trauma swelling to his head.

    A horror mix-up of identification tags, has now resulted in one of the worst cases of medical malpractice to become public in the country.

    Doctors did not realise their mistake until hours into the surgery, when they discovered there was no blood clot in the brain. Questions about the required pre-surgery procedures in Kenyan hospitals has been raised after the mistake as well as about doctors’ lack of commitment to their patients to ensure they receive good care.

    The Daily Nation exposed the medical scandal on Wednesday. Hospital management forcefully removed a female journalist from Kenya Today who had wanted to do a follow-up story about the well-being of the two patients.

    The hospital’s chief operating officer Lily Koros, has issued a statement announcing the suspension of four medics involved in the mishap. They include the neurosurgeon, the ward nurse, theatre receiving nurse, and the anaesthetist.

    “The management has suspended the admission rights of a neurosurgery registrar and issued him with a show-cause letter for apparently operating on the wrong patient,” Koros said.

    It appears that the neurosurgeon had no contact with the patient, and only waited in the theatre. “The staff in theatre had no way of telling they were operating on the wrong patient because he was unconscious,” a source said.

    The doctors only realised the mistake more than two hours into the operation.

    According to sources, the patient who had a clot might not undergo surgery “because he has improved significantly”.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Africa

    Turkish state broadcaster calls white farm murders in South Africa a ‘myth’

    Turkish state broadcaster TRT World released a video last week claiming that the ongoing white genocide in South Africa is a "myth".

    White farmer’s union welcomes Trump tweet as IMF lauds land grab

    The conservative South African agricultural union, TAU SA believes that its long-time international campaign to bring farm murders to the world's attention, has begun to produce results, and is therefore pleased about the announcement made by American president, Donald Trump to investigate the possible expropriation of land without compensation as well as the farm murders.

    The true facts about land and farm murders in South Africa

    PretoriaThe American president's tweet about the land grabs in South Africa, expressed a justified concern about events unfolding. Those who doubt the veracity of Donald Trump's tweet should familiarize themselves with the facts about farm murders and the threat to property rights in the country.

    Trump tweets on South African land grab and genocide of white farmers

    President Donald Trump's tweet about South Africa's land grab policy and farm murders, made global news today.

    The mainstream media is silent about the coming crisis in South Africa

    A researcher at the American Cato Institute has warned that South Africa will soon be going down the same disasterous path as its neighbour Zimbabwe did in 2000. The mainstream media is eerily silent about the coming crisis.

    South Africa: ‘You can’t conjure up farmers’

    The futility of trying to debate with the ANC at the recent public hearings on the South African government’s proposal to introduce legislation permitting land to be expropriated without compensation, was obvious. ANC supporters would only respond that they were "sick and tired of white people".

    South Africa’s ANC regime expropriates first white-owned farms amid ‘land panic’

    Will South Africa follow Zimbabwe into hyperinflation and economic collapse as white farmers' land gets confiscated? Both farmers and the country's banks are frightened by the ANC regime's radical plans for 'expropriation without compensation'.

    Polish activist Janusz Waluś’s parole hearing

    The long fight of anticommunist activist Janusz Waluś to free himself from a South African prison will continue in court today as he seeks again to be released on parole and deported to his country of birth, Poland.

    African Athletics Championship a complete disaster

    The African Athletics Championship held in Nigeria, has not turned into showing Africa’s sporting prowess to the world, but into an embarrassing fiasco.

    Crisis in multicultural Cape Town as trains go up in smoke

    Trains are regularly burnt in Cape Town by commuters, while City officials speak of "sabotage".

    Go to archive