Skip to Content

Tero Varjoranta, IAEA Deputy Director General for Safeguards, Photo Credit: Dean Calma/IAEA

Is John Bolton responsible for IAEA chief inspector quitting?

John Bolton appears to be drumming up support for a war with Iran. A year before the invasion of Iraq, Bolton forced the OPCW chief to resign. This week the IAEA chief inspector quit suddenly. The reason for his departure remains a mystery.

Published: May 13, 2018, 9:24 am

    Read more

    In early 2002, the Bush administration put intense pressure on José Bustani to resign as director-general of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

    Bolton — then serving as under secretary of state for Arms Control and International Security Affairs — travelled to the OPCW headquarters in the Hague personally to issue a warning to the organization’s chief.

    According to Bustani, Bolton was direct: “[Dick] Cheney [the then-vice president of the United States] wants you out. We can’t accept your management style.”

    Bolton said: “You have 24 hours to leave the organization, and if you don’t comply with this decision by Washington, we have ways to retaliate against you.” He paused. “We know where your kids live. You have two sons in New York.”

    José Bustani had successfully negotiated to get OPCW inspectors back into Iraq where they would have found no evidence of weapons of mass destruction.

    Their findings would have contradicted the US propaganda campaign to wage war on Iraq. When Bustani did not leave voluntarily, the US threatened to cut the OPCW’s budget and “convinced” other countries in the executive council to get rid of him.

    This week, the chief of inspections at the IAEA resigned suddenly, the agency said on Friday but gave no reason for his resignation.

    The departure of Tero Varjoranta comes only three days after the United States announced it would be withdraw from the world powers’ nuclear accord with Iran, Reuters reported.

    Varjoranta, a Finn, had been a deputy director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency and head of its Department of Safeguards, which verifies countries’ compliance with the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, since October 2013.

    Another casualty is the State Department official who certified Iran’s compliance with the nuclear deal.

    One of the State Department’s top experts on nuclear proliferation resigned this week after President Donald Trump announced the U.S. withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal, in what officials and analysts say is part of a worrying brain drain from public service generally over the past 18 months.

    Richard Johnson, a career civil servant who served as acting assistant coordinator in State’s Office of Iran Nuclear Implementation, had been involved in talks with countries that sought to salvage the deal in recent weeks, including Britain, France, and Germany — an effort that ultimately failed.

    The office Johnson led has gone from seven full-time staffers to none since Trump’s inauguration.

    John Bolton was also behind a campaign to fire the IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei. ElBaradei’s phone was tapped and rumors were launched against him to oust him from his office.

    As with Iraq, it appears that Bolton – now serving as the National Security Advisor to President Trump – wants to once again discredit the current system of international inspections. Bolton has called the inspection efforts established by the Iran nuclear deal “fatally inadequate” and declared that “the International Atomic Energy Agency” is “likely missing significant Iranian [nuclear] facilities”.

    Together with some “experts” Bolton is peddling policy papers for “regime change” in Iran and US allies are being threatened and bullied to comply with US sanctions against Iran.

    The Iraq fiasco is not stopping John Bolton either.

     

     

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Americas

    Columbia student defends his remarks about ‘white achievements’

    New YorkColumbia University student Julian von Abele, whose comments on Twitter about white people went viral earlier this week, released a statement on Tuesday defending himself.

    Chile pulls out of Marrakesch

    SantiagoChile has joined the growing exodus from the United Nations Migration Compact. It has become the latest country to withdraw, President's Sebastian Pinera's administration announced.

    US Government loses landmark court case on vaccine safety

    WashingtonThe US federal government has been neglecting vaccine safety obligations for decades. Anti-vaccine activists have now won an important lawsuit against the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

    ISIS cyber attacks were falsely blamed on Russia

    An Islamic State-linked media outlet says a Canadian man - not Russia - was behind the terror group’s highest-profile cyber attacks, including the takeover of the Twitter account of the US military’s Central Command.

    Media reporting rigged against Republicans, Trump

    Ahead of the 2018 midterm elections in the United States, the mainstream media were directing their campaign reporting against Republicans.

    Trump is serious about troop deployment on US-Mexican border

    The number of US troops to be deployed at the Mexico border could reach 15 000, President Trump said on Wednesday afternoon.

    Trump tells migrant caravan to turn back, US military is being deployed

    WashingtonOn Monday, President Trump warned the illegal caravan approaching the US border from the south that the US military was waiting for them.

    Khashoggi was not the first casualty of Saudi regime

    WashingtonJamal Khashoggi was not the first victim of the Saudi regime allegedly hunted down and murdered. And President Donald Trump and his family, including son-in-law Jared Kushner, have meanwhile been supporting Saudi Arabia’s bizarre explanation for the murder of Washington-based Saudi journalist Khashoggi.

    New report highlights Pentagon’s cyber flaws

    WashingtonA US federal report has revealed glaring cyber vulnerabilities in US weapons systems. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) report also found that defense officials believed the security measures were able to defeat hackers, even though outside teams were easily able to penetrate systems.

    US Democrats likely received fake bombs

    According to a law enforcement official, examiners are looking at whether the mail bombs sent to US Democrats over the last 48 hours were "hoax devices". What looked like bombs seen on television, may have been fakes.

    Go to archive