Skip to Content

Stock photo Pixabay

US Department of Justice busts thousands of child sex offenders

The US Department of Justice announced on Tuesday that its Internet Crimes Against Children task force has busted over 2 300 online sexual predators.

Published: June 13, 2018, 8:10 am

    Read more

    Washington

    The suspected online child sex offenders were netted during a three-month, nationwide, operation conducted by Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) task forces.

    The task forces identified 195 offenders who either produced child pornography or committed child sexual abuse, and 383 children who suffered recent, ongoing, or historical sexual abuse or production of child pornography, the DoJ said in a statement.

    The 61 ICAC task forces, located in all 50 states led the coordinated operation known as “Broken Heart” during the months of March, April, and May 2018.

    “No child should ever have to endure sexual abuse,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said. “And yet, in recent years, certain forms of modern technology have facilitated the spread of child pornography and created greater incentives for its production.”

    The operation targeted suspects who produce, distribute, receive and possess child pornography; engage in online enticement of children for sexual purposes; engage in the sex trafficking of children; and travel across state lines or to foreign countries and sexually abuse children.

    To date, ICAC Task Forces have reviewed more than 775 000 complaints of child exploitation, which resulted in the arrest of more than 83 000 individuals. In addition, since the ICAC program’s inception, more than 629 400 law enforcement officers, prosecutors and other professionals have been trained on techniques to investigate and prosecute ICAC-related cases, according to the DoJ.

    Some of the world’s most coveted travel destinations such as Cambodia and South Africa also are two of the leading destinations for sex tourism and trafficking.

    In 2016, an estimated 45.8 million people were held in some form of modern slavery in 167 countries, according to The Global Slavery Index. The International Labor Organization estimates that there are 4.5 million people trapped in forced sexual exploitation globally.

    A 2015 Walk Free Foundation survey found that of the more than 200 000 victims in forced labor in South Africa, 43 percent are subjected to commercial sexual exploitation.

    Katharine Bryant, Walk Free Foundation’s Research Manager, said that while efforts have been made to curb commercial sexual exploitation, the industry is being pushed underground.

    “The recent increase in ‘orphanage tourism’ has also led to situations where children in institutions and orphanages are exposed to exploitation by tourists,” Bryant told impacttravelalliance.org.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Americas

    Columbia student defends his remarks about ‘white achievements’

    New YorkColumbia University student Julian von Abele, whose comments on Twitter about white people went viral earlier this week, released a statement on Tuesday defending himself.

    Chile pulls out of Marrakesch

    SantiagoChile has joined the growing exodus from the United Nations Migration Compact. It has become the latest country to withdraw, President's Sebastian Pinera's administration announced.

    US Government loses landmark court case on vaccine safety

    WashingtonThe US federal government has been neglecting vaccine safety obligations for decades. Anti-vaccine activists have now won an important lawsuit against the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

    ISIS cyber attacks were falsely blamed on Russia

    An Islamic State-linked media outlet says a Canadian man - not Russia - was behind the terror group’s highest-profile cyber attacks, including the takeover of the Twitter account of the US military’s Central Command.

    Media reporting rigged against Republicans, Trump

    Ahead of the 2018 midterm elections in the United States, the mainstream media were directing their campaign reporting against Republicans.

    Trump is serious about troop deployment on US-Mexican border

    The number of US troops to be deployed at the Mexico border could reach 15 000, President Trump said on Wednesday afternoon.

    Trump tells migrant caravan to turn back, US military is being deployed

    WashingtonOn Monday, President Trump warned the illegal caravan approaching the US border from the south that the US military was waiting for them.

    Khashoggi was not the first casualty of Saudi regime

    WashingtonJamal Khashoggi was not the first victim of the Saudi regime allegedly hunted down and murdered. And President Donald Trump and his family, including son-in-law Jared Kushner, have meanwhile been supporting Saudi Arabia’s bizarre explanation for the murder of Washington-based Saudi journalist Khashoggi.

    New report highlights Pentagon’s cyber flaws

    WashingtonA US federal report has revealed glaring cyber vulnerabilities in US weapons systems. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) report also found that defense officials believed the security measures were able to defeat hackers, even though outside teams were easily able to penetrate systems.

    US Democrats likely received fake bombs

    According to a law enforcement official, examiners are looking at whether the mail bombs sent to US Democrats over the last 48 hours were "hoax devices". What looked like bombs seen on television, may have been fakes.

    Go to archive