A court in the German state of Saxony has issued a two-year prison sentence against Moroccan Abdulrahman D on charges of membership of a terrorist group and planning to conduct violent acts that jeopardize state security.
Abdulrahman, 29, admitted in court in Zwickau that he had evaded German law enforcement using 23 fake identities from Morocco, Syria, Iraq and Algeria. He had escaped German law enforcement by using his false identities.
The jihadist also admitted to forging his date of birth seven times for the same purpose in order to receive social aid from several cities in Germany. He had been plotting violent attacks in the country, but denied that he was in fact a terrorist.
In a related matter, Germany issued an arrest warrant for a 32-year-old Tunisian, identified as Meher D, a suspected accomplice of the attacker who ploughed a truck in Berlin in 2016 and killed 12 people.
The daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung and TV channels NDR and WDR reported on Friday that the suspect had instructed the attacker, Anis Amri, and encouraged him to carry out the attack on December 19, 2016.
According to sources, the suspect may be hiding in Libya. They believe that the suspect moved from the Tunisian capital to Libya and joined ISIS there.
In 2016, Meher D received orders from ISIS to coordinate the terror attack in the German capital with Amri. The public prosecution says it is currently cooperating with the Tunisian and US security agencies to track him down.
In yet another explosive case, a Tunisian migrant was arrested after allegedly plotting a biological bomb attack with a deadly poison in Germany.
The 29-year-old Sief Allah H, who had lived in the Chorweiler neighbourhood of Cologne, was arrested last month after being accused of procuring seeds needed for the creation of the toxin chemical ricin online.
According to the regional paper, the Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger, Allah H had already planned his escape after the planned attack.
Police said Allah H had already begun to produce dangerous toxin when he was arrested. The seeds together with various components required to build an explosive device were also found in his apartment.
He had long been under surveillance by authorities because he had tried on two occasions, months before, to ISIS via Turkey and Egypt.
In mid-March 2018, the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV) informed Cologne authorities that they would continue to observe the suspect, but claimed that evidence of a terrorist threat was “too vague”.
Foreign reports meanwhile warned German authorities that the suspected extremist was planning an attack in Germany. According to the Federal Criminal Police Office, “the case is the first case in which a jihadist-motivated offender has produced biological weapons in Germany”.
They believe the suspect had already purchased several parts over the internet for the construction of a splinter bomb to be filled with the highly dangerous poison.