Skip to Content

Migrants, Czech leader Andrej Babis. Photo supplied
Prague

Czech president calls latest EU migrant plan ‘road to hell’

The Czech Republic does not want any of the 450 migrants rescued from a migrant vessel in the Mediterranean on Saturday, and neither does Italy. The Czech president called the EU's latest shared responsibility plan "a road to hell".

Published: July 16, 2018, 9:52 am

    Read more

    Germany, France and Malta have agreed take in 50 migrants each, but the Czech Republic – part of the Visegrad Four – has refused. Italy does not want to allow the 450 migrants into the country either. It is the first test of the EU’s new policy to share burden of rescued migrants.

    Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis tweeted that the EU’s contingency plan was a “road to hell”. He said on Twitter: “I received a copy of the letter from Prime Minister Contes, together with the other EU premieres, to the President of the European Council, Tusk and the European Commission Juncker, where the Italian Prime Minister is asking the EU to take care of the 450 people currently on the seas. Such an approach is the road to hell.

    “It only motivates smugglers and increases their income. Our countries will not accept any migrants. At the European Council, we have applied the principle of volunteering for relocation, and we will stick to it.

    “The only solution to the migration crisis is the Australian model, not to allow the landing of migrants in Europe and the return of the ships from which they emerge. We must send a clear signal that illegal migration has ended and that the European Union is ready to return illegal migrants immediately.”

    Babis added: “We must help migrants in the countries from where they come, outside the borders of Europe, so that they can not go on their journey at all. There is no solution to accepting people, on the contrary it increases the problem that we have in Europe.”

    The EU came up with the new plan last month after Italy’s refusal to accept the Aquarius to dock in its ports. Malta too, has refused, and the vessel was eventually invited by Spain to dock in Valencia.

    A German government spokeswoman on Sunday said: “Germany is ready to accept 50 people in this case.” Malta had initially rejected mounted pressure to open its borders, but later said it would accept 50 migrants too.

    Italy’s Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, who is leading a high-profile campaign to ban human trafficking rescue ships from Italian ports, said on Saturday that the migrants could be sent back to Libya. But the United Nations and EU have ruled that Libya is not safe, and according to international law, migrants cannot be returned to a place where their lives are in danger.

    The boat carrying the contested 450 migrants, is now in Maltese-competence waters. Salvini said on Friday “a boat with 450 clandestines aboard has since this morning been in waters under the competence of Malta, which has said it will intervene. A few hours later, however, no one has moved and the boat has started heading for Italy again.

    “Let Malta, the migrant smugglers and the do-gooders of all of Italy and all the world know that this boat cannot and must not arrive in an Italian port. We’ve already done our bit, understood?”

    He said: “I’m interior minister and I will do my utmost to defend the security of Italians, what I am doing is blocking departures, landings and deaths.”

    Meanwhile, the crew of the Vos Thalassa, an oil-rig tug felt “seriously threatened” by the reaction of migrants when they were told they being taken back to Libya, sources at the Trapani prosecutor’s office said on Friday. The captain reportedly told prosecutors the migrants had surrounded the crew shouting “no Libya, Libya, yes Italy”.

    As well as surrounding the crew, they allegedly “attacked” the first mate, sources said. The captain got in touch with the Rome port commander’s office, and authorities sent coast guard vessel Diciotti to offload the migrants.

    The first questioning of the 67 migrants will take place this week, sources said. But Salvini has been sceptical of the alleged “facts” surrounding the decision to dock at an Italian harbour after the “attack”.

    Some of the migrants told a UNICEF official on Friday that they were afraid of being returned to Libya but did not attack anyone on board the Vos Thalassa oilrig tug that had picked them up, contrary to reports.

    “We didn’t attack anyone, there was 5-10 minutes of great confusion and fear, but we didn’t want to hurt anyone,” they told Italo-Egyptian UNICEF/Intersos officer Sahar Ibrahim on board the Diciotti.

    “We didn’t want to go back to Libya: we were ready to dive into the sea and risk our lives rather than being returned to land”.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    UK faces policing crisis as cops quit in huge numbers

    Law enforcement chiefs in Britain are struggling to find enough specialist detectives with three-quarters of stations admitting that they cannot fill vacancies because of the rate at which experienced officers are quitting the force.

    French official criticises British resolve to stop illegals

    In the fight against networks of human traffickers in the English Channel, the president of the Regional Council of Hauts-de-France has pleaded for stronger cooperation between France and Britain to end illegal immigration.

    Smartphones stolen in Barcelona turn up in Marrakesh

    A profitable black market in smartphones is encouraging the theft of mobile phones in the coastal city of Barcelona.

    Bertelsmann study: Does Germany really need more immigrants?

    Germany supposedly needs 260 000 immigrants each year, a study commissioned by the Bertelsmann Foundation has recently found. But the findings have drawn much criticism and incomprehension.

    Number of migrants in German prisons at a record high

    BerlinMigrant inmates in German prisons have skyrocketed, a new survey of the Justice Ministries in in Germany's 16 federal states show.

    Hungary launches seven-point family plan

    BudapestHungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has announced a family protection plan in his state-of-the nation address in Budapest on Sunday.

    Act XIII: Protester’s hand torn off by police grenade

    ParisDuring the clashes that took place in front of the National Assembly in Paris over the weekend between police and Yellow Vests, a protester lost his hand. Tensions rose a notch in Paris on Saturday, February 9 on the occasion of Act XIII of the protest movement.

    UK Counter Terrorism interviews 8-year-old

    LondonIn Britain, an eight-year-old Muslim boy was questioned by two counter-terrorism police officers and a social worker at a school in east London because he had become so radicalized.

    French border officials caught forging migrant applications

    French border officials have been accused of forgery in order to send young migrants back to Italy.

    Smørdland-like knife murder attempt in IKEA Hamburg

    HamburgIn Hamburg-Schnelsen, Germany, a young man, 22, was stabbed on Saturday evening shortly after 6pm by a "Southerner" in the cashier area of IKEA.

    Go to archive