Skip to Content

Guangzhou. Wikipedia

Africans not welcome in one of China’s biggest cities

Last month, several hotels in China's Guangzhou, the capital and most populous city of the province of Guangdong, posted notices refusing African guests, saying they were no longer welcome. Among those turned away at the door was a Ugandan magistrate.

Published: August 14, 2018, 9:35 am

    Guangzhou

    When Juliet Hatanga arrived at the Tokai Hotel in Guangzhou’s Xiaobei neighbourhood in the afternoon on July 20, she was informed by staff at the front desk that Ugandan nationals were no longer allowed to stay in the area’s hotels.

    Hatanga had traveled to the city, planning to spend “four or five” nights at the hotel, according to a Ugandan community leader in Guangzhou, who asked to remain anonymous.

    Hatanga — who works as a principal magistrate in her home country — contacted staff at the Uganda Consulate General in Guangzhou, who in turn put her in touch with locally based Ugandan community leaders.

    “I picked her up and took her to Starbucks for a coffee and told her to calm down,” one Ugandan community leader, who asked to remain anonymous, told me. “I then called the consul general [of Uganda] and I briefed him on what was happening.”

    Several notifications, while all worded differently, stated that the hotels in the area were not allowed to receive guests from African countries, usually accompanied by apologies “for the inconvenience”.

    One notice, posted by Waifiden Apartments dated July 6, states the building “will not receive foreign guests from all African countries”. Guests from Nigeria and Uganda had been turned away in previous weeks at the request of the police. The hotel staffer assured reporters however that the ban on African guests had been lifted and that “everything is back to normal”.

    According to Uganda’s Sunday Monitor newspaper, the situation in Guangzhou has worsened for Ugandans due to “many suspects involved in crime, especially drug trafficking, being found to be holding Ugandan passports”. It appears that many Africans arrested carrying a Ugandan passport are actually Nigerian citizens.

    The Monitor reported that many restaurants specializing in African cuisine have been forced to cease operations at the behest of Chinese authorities.

    In response to the reports, the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Republic of Uganda issued a statement denying that hotels were instructed by authorities to reject Ugandans and Nigerians, according to Uganda’s New Vision newspaper.

    “The situation that some Africans including Ugandans were refused to check into budget hotels in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China was purely resulted from the self-made decisions of isolated hotels,” the New Vision reported on July 28.

    When contacted for comment, a staffer at the Uganda Consulate General in Guangzhou said that no one was available for comment and directed reporters to the statement issued by the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Republic of Uganda. Staff at the Consulate General of Nigeria in Guangzhou denied any knowledge of Nigerian citizens being denied accommodation in Guangzhou.

    Xiaobei is an area in Guangzhou’s Yuexiu District that is often referred to as “Little Africa” due to the large number of African expats, traders, and travelers that live and work in the neighborhood.

    According to statistics released in January by the city’s police bureau, Guangzhou is now home to 15 000 Africans, a 25 percent drop from 2009. The number does not include illegal immigrants and those who overstay their visa, according to Xinhua.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Africa

    Black bank close to South African President collapses after being looted bare

    JohannesburgA black tribe of which South Africa's President Cyril Ramaphosa is a member, has been deeply implicated in a massive heist of black-owned VBS Mutual Bank. Venda King Toni Mphephu Ramabulana is listed among 53 people who allegedly “gratuitously” benefited from almost R2 billion from the bank.

    South Africa’s ANC starts to expropriate land without compensation

    The ANC leadership of Ekurhuleni, a large make-shift "metro" cobbled together from various towns and cities east of Johannesburg, has voted to ahead with the country's first "expropriation without compensation"  - known by the acronym EWC.

    South African president blatantly lies about farm murders

    President Cyril Ramaphosa's lies during an interview on Bloomberg television has led to an angry response in South Africa. Ramaphosa's spokesperson quickly had to step in "to explain what the president said" but did little to explain away his lies.

    White existence is a crime, says South African black party spokesperson

    Black First, Land First spokesperson Lindsay Maasdorp gave a presentation on the South African government's coming amendment of section 25 of the constitution to allow for white land expropriation without compensation.

    Turkish state broadcaster calls white farm murders in South Africa a ‘myth’

    Turkish state broadcaster TRT World released a video last week claiming that the ongoing white genocide in South Africa is a "myth".

    White farmer’s union welcomes Trump tweet as IMF lauds land grab

    The conservative South African agricultural union, TAU SA believes that its long-time international campaign to bring farm murders to the world's attention, has begun to produce results, and is therefore pleased about the announcement made by American president, Donald Trump to investigate the possible expropriation of land without compensation as well as the farm murders.

    The true facts about land and farm murders in South Africa

    PretoriaThe American president's tweet about the land grabs in South Africa, expressed a justified concern about events unfolding. Those who doubt the veracity of Donald Trump's tweet should familiarize themselves with the facts about farm murders and the threat to property rights in the country.

    Trump tweets on South African land grab and genocide of white farmers

    President Donald Trump's tweet about South Africa's land grab policy and farm murders, made global news today.

    The mainstream media is silent about the coming crisis in South Africa

    A researcher at the American Cato Institute has warned that South Africa will soon be going down the same disasterous path as its neighbour Zimbabwe did in 2000. The mainstream media is eerily silent about the coming crisis.

    South Africa: ‘You can’t conjure up farmers’

    The futility of trying to debate with the ANC at the recent public hearings on the South African government’s proposal to introduce legislation permitting land to be expropriated without compensation, was obvious. ANC supporters would only respond that they were "sick and tired of white people".

    Go to archive