Skip to Content

Photo supplied by the Bundeswehr

German army reservists excluded on the basis of rumours

The German Armed Forces Reservation Association has admitted that it has excluded four of its members solely on the basis of rumors.

Published: October 6, 2018, 10:29 am

    Berlin

    The excluded members were accused of “right-wing extremist activities” without any evidence to support the claims.

    “We only know these allegations from the press. We do not have information from the Office for the Protection of the Constitution, the Military Shielding Service or other security authorities,” a spokeswoman told the German daily the Nordkurier.

    The allegations were seen as so serious that the board voted in favor of the exclusion in order to avert damage to the association. The reservists had allegedly participated in shooting training. The persons concerned have accepted the exclusion without resistance, it is said.

    On Tuesday, the Mecklenburg SPD member of parliament Dirk Friedriszik had terminated his membership. He accused the association of doing too little against “far-right” members.

    “The former chairman of the national association, Helge Stahn, set itself the goal of removing right-wing extremist members from the federation,” Friedriszik said in justifying his decision. But this fight was lost and apparently not continued by his successor.

    “Instead, the old networks of right-wing extremists continue to exist and expand.”

    The exclusion of the members was in connection with the investigation of two members from Mecklenburg who are said to have made a list of political opponents who would have to be killed in a supposed crisis case. But such a document has not been found yet.

    The taxpayer-funded association led by a CDU politician, have been trying for a while to block the AfD . Last month, a forum on “The Future of Domestic Security in Germany” attempted to address security challenges and their impact on Germany.

    The event was hosted by the association, which states in its mission that it has to “awaken and maintain the interests of security in society”. It was organised by its approximately 220 full-time employees funded from the Federal Government: in 2018, 17.3 million euros were transferred from the budget of the Ministry of Defense.

    But not all political groups have been invited. The largest opposition faction, the AfD, was not allowed to join in the discussion – and was outraged by it.

    “The exclusion of the AfD at such a prominent event, especially on the subject of internal security, is completely unacceptable,” says Rüdiger Lucassen, defense spokesman for the party. His assumption: “I can interpret the behavior of the association only as a politically motivated boycott.”

    Lucassen said AfD voters were contributing with their tax money to the organisation. Therefore, it should not be a matter of “whether the Bureau liked the positions of the AfD, but the open exchange of opinions, as befits an enlightened democracy”.

    The AfD has extensive Bundeswehr experience, since it has several former professional soldiers in parliament. Lucassen himself is a colonel off duty.

    The exclusion of AfD was even more peculiar considering the invitation of the left-wing MP Jelpke, for whose party “the Bundeswehr is in part an enemy”.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    French Interior Ministry orders 40 000 new grenades

    ParisPlace Beauvau has ordered 40 000 new grenades for law enforcement after a tender was launched in August 2018, but the timing of the arrival of this "A2 category war material" is most unfortunate.

    German court allows jihadist criminal of 14 years to walk free

    DuesseldorfAn Islamic criminal, who has been in Germany for 14 years, remains at liberty despite a breach of his residence obligations, according to a Düsseldorf District Court.

    Salvini announces budget cuts for pro-migration associations

    RomeThe leftist funding party in Italy is coming to an end, after the announcement by Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini that a series of budgetary cuts will be aimed at migrant aid associations.

    Wilders calls for parliamentary enquiry into political meddling in his trail

    The HaguePVV leader Geert Wilders has called for a parliamentary inquiry into political interference in his trial in which he is being accused of "discrimination and inciting hatred" against people with a Moroccan background.

    Orban and Aung San Suu Kyi meet to discuss illegal immigration

    BudapestHungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban met with Myanmar’s State Counsellor, San Suu Kyi, to focus on illegal Islamic migration. The two held talks in Budapest on Wednesday in the Prime Minister’s Office.

    Act XXX: Yellow Vest numbers on the rise

    MontpellierOn Saturday, June 8, some 10 300 Yellow Vests mobilized throughout France, according to the Ministry of Interior, more than last week.

    German biologist faces court after linking gays to pedophilia

    KasselThe evolutionary biologist Ulrich Kutschera is facing German justice because of remarks he made scientifically linking homosexuality to pedophilia.

    French priest to be charged for singing anti-Macron songs

    The French prefect of Eure - a department in the north of France named after the river Eure - claims to have demanded that the prosecutor of the Republic step in after a priest sang an anti-Macron song.

    Hungary turns down Salvini offer to join EP ‘supergroup’

    BudapestHungary will not join Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini in the European Parliament, according to Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s chief of staff Gergely Gulyas.

    Malaysian PM says ‘no evidence’ that Russia shot down MH17

    TokyoThe Malaysian government says it has seen no conclusive evidence that Russia was responsible for the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 tragedy in 2014, according to Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.

    Go to archive