Skip to Content

Ventimiglia. Wikimedia

French border officials caught forging migrant applications

French border officials have been accused of forgery in order to send young migrants back to Italy.

Published: February 6, 2019, 10:03 am

    Have some French border police officers (PAF) decided to assume the right to decide the fate of migrants wishing to apply for asylum in France? To shed light on the responsibilities of each one involved, a preliminary investigation was opened on Monday, February 4 by investigators in Nice.

    France 3 Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur reported that the offenses were allegedly committed at the Franco-Italian border at Menton.

    Jean-Michel Prêtre, prosecutor of Nice, announced the news during his monthly meeting with the press.

    Last November Prêtre was approached by the League of Human Rights, the syndicate of French lawyers and three elected officials, including two ecologists. The matter was a document of twenty pages compiled by the group, which revealed three cases of forgery in writing by the police, done on purpose so as to return minors to Italy.

    The drafters of the text reported “arbitrary detention” of minors during “several hours, sometimes up to ten or eleven hours” on the premises of the police.

    Already in March 2017, the prefect of the Alpes-Maritimes Georges-Francois Leclerc and his staff had suffered the wrath of administrative justice for the expeditious return of migrants to Italy, in violation of the right of asylum then in force.

    “We take special care to respect the law,” retorted the prefect, denying the allegations that the police were guilty of procedural flaws, and said they were overwhelmed by the number of cases to be treated.

    Although France is able to return migrants to Italy under the terms of a 1997 agreement, NGOs complain that unaccompanied minors are also turned away. In February last year, a judge in Nice noted that 19 unaccompanied minors had been illegally returned to Italy, and he ordered the police to comply.

    French authorities often falsely increase the ages of incoming migrants on their documents and still send them back to Italy, according to human rights activists.

    Since 2016, the prefecture reported a hundred arrests every day, although the figures slightly decreased in 2018. More than 10 000 migrants were sent back between January and May last year. Between July 2017 and April 2018, Catholic charity Caritas counted at least 16 475 people in the Italian town of Ventimiglia waiting to cross into France. One in four were unaccompanied minors.

    In 2017, France received 14 percent of the EU 200 000 new asylum applications, and Italy received 20 percent; only Germany processed more asylum applicants.

    Under the Dublin Regulation, migrants must file their asylum claim in the EU country where they were first registered. It is abbreviated as “Dubliné” in French and “Dublinato” in Italian. Thus, being “Dublined” is mostly only a temporary setback for migrants, because there is little incentive for them to stay in Italy.

    Those denied entry typically walk back the short distance to Ventimiglia where they just can catch another train to France and try again. “I’m already thinking about the next place I’ll hide,” Mohammed Yaugoub Ali, 19, from Sudan, told The Washington Post.

    But an Oxfam report titled Nowhere But Out, accused the French authorities at the border of “abuse” because they were discovered cutting of the soles of migrants’ shoes and falsifiying of dates of birth.

    The practice was condemned by a French court earlier but appears to be continuing.

    When French President Macron described anti-immigration parties in Europe as a “leprosy”, Italian deputy prime minister Luigi Di Maio responded by saying that the “real leprosy is the hypocrisy of someone who pushes back immigrants at Ventimiglia”.

    “Mr. Macron has closed his border — totally,” Andrea Spinosi, a top official in Ventimiglia and member of the League party, a partner in Italy’s governing coalition, told the Post. “All these migrants, they all want to go to France,” Spinosi explained. “And France dares to say we are the racist ones.”

    Residents of Ventimiglia complain that businesses have closed and housing prices have crashed, while official data suggests that voter support for the Matteo Salvini’s League has risen more than tenfold, to 30 percent, over the past five years.

    In Menton, mayor Jean-Claude Guibal, who has been mayor since 1989, noted that since 2015, support for Marine Le Pen’s National Rally in the area has also grown significantly.

    [mashshare]

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    France joins the race for a militarized space

    ParisThe militarisation of space is being intensified, as an area of growing strategic importance, given that the main arms systems, beginning with nuclear weapons, depend on spatial systems.

    Ex-General: Merkel has shaken the foundations of Germany

    HannoverA former Federal Armed Forces general Joachim Wundrak has accused Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) of undermining Germany's foundations.

    Italian regional court lifts docking ban on Open Arms

    RomeAn Italian regional administrative court (TAR) of Lazio lifted a ban on NGO migrant rescue ship Open Arms entering Italian waters on Wednesday.

    Ocean Viking takes more Africans on board

    RomeThe ship Ocean Viking cruising off Libya has taken another 105 Africans on board. The new arrivals are, according to information from the AFP news agency, exclusively men. Most of them come from Sudan.

    Europe’s energy under threat

    An ongoing Bulgarian legal circus is threatening Europe’s energy diversity.

    The amazing second life of migrant rafts

    BerlinThe inflatable boats of the migrants are transformed by a Berlin company into bags and tote bags sold on the internet... as fashion.

    Salvini mocks Hollywood actor’s intervention on migrant rescue vessel

    On Friday, August 9, the 69-year-old American Hollywood actor Richard Gere boarded a migrant rescue vessel, demanding that Italy stop "demonizing" migrants.

    Italy’s coalition government in tatters after Salvini calls for early elections

    RomeDeputy Premier and League leader Matteo Salvini on Thursday called for Italy to have early elections, saying that the coalition that supports Premier Giuseppe Conte's government has broken down.

    Salvini’s Security Decree wins final approval

    RomeDeputy Premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini's new security decree won final approval this week after clearing the hurdle of a confidence vote in the Italian Senate.

    SOS Méditerranée sends new rescue ship to the Mediterranean

    BerlinThe rescue organisation SOS Méditerranée has set out again for a new mission in the Mediterranean to pick up migrants waiting in Libya to come to the EU.

    Go to archive