Skip to Content

Stock photo from Depositphoto
The Hague

Panic at a cinema in The Hague as Muslim youths spark fear of attack

They seemed like terrorists, moviegoers said, but it turned out that they were only "annoying teenagers".

Published: May 6, 2019, 7:48 am

    Read more

    The behavior of four Muslim teenagers at the Pathé Spuimarkt cinema in The Hague, led to the evacuation of a cinema theatre, according to the Dutch police. But their brash action was not an act of terror, they said. “We must not lose sight of their age,” said a police spokesperson.

    The four were arrested at the scene and two have been fined for not carrying their IDs, police said in a statement. A “stern” conversation was held with the teenagers, but they are not going to be prosecuted.

    A security alert led to the screening room being stormed by police in bullet proof vests, after the four teenagers, aged 14 and 17, created panic on Thursday during the screening of the film Hotel Mumbai, about the jihadist attack on the Taj Mahal hotel in 2008.

    Anthony Maras’s film revisits the Mumbai terrorist attacks of 2008. In 2008, a series of attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai, launched by the Islamist militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, left more than a hundred and sixty people dead. The militants, numbering only ten, had remained in contact with their handler nicknamed “Bull”, who was based in Pakistan and never caught.

    Several visitors had raised the alarm due to an imminent situation because the four had behaved so suspiciously. Several moviegoers had called the emergency number 112. Some 20 to 30 police officers burst into the cinema and forced the public to put their hands on their heads and leave the screening room while police combed the building.

    According to some eyewitness reports, the four had been unduly disruptive during the screening, and they got up and left shortly before the end of the film, just when the attack was due to be shown. They then returned and all sat in different parts of the cinema, sparking a panic.

    A police helicopter was also called in and part of the Spui was closed off. The police would not comment on whether the teenagers were fooling around or had deliberately tried to frighten people, however.

    But they certainly came over as threatening to the audience, the police spokeswoman told the Dutch news outlet AD. “Was their goal to inspire fear or was it provoking? They really made a threatening impression on the visitors,” the police spokesperson noted. But other eyewitnesses told the AD the youngsters had been noisy and irritating but said there was no question of a threatening situation.

    The police noted in their statement that officers have undergone training to deal with incidents of extreme violence. “The aim of the training was to help police and cinema personal work together in stressful situations,” the statement added.

    Ranjit Ramdhan was in the theatre and was very shocked when the officers entered. “The policemen shouted that it was not an exercise and that everyone had to put their hands on their heads. So I spent ten minutes like that.”

    The officers in bullet-proof vests then combed the room from top to bottom and bags were also checked. A large police force was also deployed outside of Pathé.

    According to the police, the large police deployment was justified. “Certainly in the light of these times. It is not for nothing that the cinema-goers got a threatening impression, and then it is up to us to assess that threatening situation.”

    According to the police, the people who had raised the alarm at 112 were not exaggerating. “A very alert response was received. Commendable. The boys really made a threatening impression on the cinema-goers. If people call for this, we don’t take any risks.”

    Before the police was called, an employee had been alerted to the disruptive behaviour of the four. “After receiving a warning, things went well again,” said one attendee. But twenty minutes later the situation had escalated.

    Pathé has not yet responded to the incident. The movie was pulled from cinemas in New Zealand due to the Christchurch mosque shootings on 15 March 2019, with showings suspended until 28 March.

    [mashshare]

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Yellow Vest leader files complaint against death threats

    Maxime Nicolle, a leading figure of the Yellow Vest citizen movement, is said to have become a victim of "moral harassment" and "public defamation" on social networks.

    Merkel calls for resuming government-funded sea rescue

    BerlinChancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) has demanded the resumption of state reception of immigrants in the Mediterranean... with taxpayer funds.

    France joins the race for a militarized space

    ParisThe militarisation of space is being intensified, as an area of growing strategic importance, given that the main arms systems, beginning with nuclear weapons, depend on spatial systems.

    Ex-General: Merkel has shaken the foundations of Germany

    HannoverA former Federal Armed Forces general Joachim Wundrak has accused Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) of undermining Germany's foundations.

    Italian regional court lifts docking ban on Open Arms

    RomeAn Italian regional administrative court (TAR) of Lazio lifted a ban on NGO migrant rescue ship Open Arms entering Italian waters on Wednesday.

    Ocean Viking takes more Africans on board

    RomeThe ship Ocean Viking cruising off Libya has taken another 105 Africans on board. The new arrivals are, according to information from the AFP news agency, exclusively men. Most of them come from Sudan.

    Europe’s energy under threat

    An ongoing Bulgarian legal circus is threatening Europe’s energy diversity.

    The amazing second life of migrant rafts

    BerlinThe inflatable boats of the migrants are transformed by a Berlin company into bags and tote bags sold on the internet... as fashion.

    Salvini mocks Hollywood actor’s intervention on migrant rescue vessel

    On Friday, August 9, the 69-year-old American Hollywood actor Richard Gere boarded a migrant rescue vessel, demanding that Italy stop "demonizing" migrants.

    Italy’s coalition government in tatters after Salvini calls for early elections

    RomeDeputy Premier and League leader Matteo Salvini on Thursday called for Italy to have early elections, saying that the coalition that supports Premier Giuseppe Conte's government has broken down.

    Go to archive