AfD boss Alexander Gauland was to speak there on 11 May, announced a party spokesman. For May 24, the closing event for the citizenship campaign with the AfD chairman Jörg Meuthen had been planned at the same location. “The emotional terror in this country is getting worse and worse. The left-wing extremists are becoming more ruthless by the day,” Meuthen remarked.
The Bremen prosecutor’s office confirmed on Thursday that investigations have been launched. A spokesman for the authorities confirmed to a radio station in Bremen that the hall operator had received two threatening phone calls. The first caller had asked: “Have you considered that well?” The second announced that there will be an escalation if the AfD event takes place as planned. But the city spokesman said it was not a “pure” death threat.
The AfD member of parliament Frank Magnitz explained that his party had been looking for a venue for five months and only the Deniz Saray Event Center had been available after many other cancellations.
Magnitz has meanwhile filed a complaint on Thursday for insult and assault by an unknown woman. The cyclist, who is around 25 years old, spat on the politician as she drove by and then fled.
At the weekend, the 28-year-old Bremen candidate for the EU parliamentary election, Natascha Runge, was attacked by two men. The police said the two alleged perpetrators assaulted the 28-year-old politician when she was posting posters with two other female campaign workers. One of them kicked the woman in her stomach.
Left-wing extremists have called for “anti-fascist action month” against the AfD ahead of the EU general election on 26 May. Their election campaign must be sabotaged and made more difficult wherever possible, the extremists said.
“Find out where election stands are and pay them a visit! Be visible and show that the AfD can not simply take their their inhumane policy on stage! Get involved with your own ideas: diverse and combative”, an Antifa website noted.