Skip to Content

Mike Pompeo. Wikipedia
Washington

Attack on two tankers blamed on Iran after ‘US Government Assessment’

The Trump Administration has officially concluded that Iran is responsible for Thursday's attacks in the Strait of Hormuz against two tankers, the Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday during a press briefing. But his choice of words are quite telling.

Published: June 14, 2019, 8:26 am

    Pompeo described the judgment of Iranian guilt in the Gulf of Oman attacks as “a US Government Assessment”. But US intelligence reports are released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and labelled an “Intelligence Assessment”.

    In light of the chicanery involved in the “US Government Assessment” after the Ghouta “chemical attack” in 2013 in Syria, it appears that intelligence agencies in the US do not concur in the present judgment.

    The Secretary of State and longtime Iran hawk, Pompeo, said Iran’s “unprovoked” attacks were part of a campaign to escalate tension in the region and disrupt the flow of the international oil trade.

    He also said that Tehran rejected Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s outreach for diplomacy.

    The fake report of an alleged chemical attack in Ghouta was also described as a “Government Assessment” and the unclassified version was released by the White House Press Secretary.

    In Ghouta, Syria and Russia’s defense ministries confirmed that that “the attack did not happen and video evidence for it was staged and directed by British intelligence”.

    One former intelligence official told Inter Press Service that the description as a “Government” rather than an “Intelligence” assessment “means that this is not an intelligence community document”. Another pointed out that the White House had apparently “decided on a position and cherry-picked the intelligence to fit it”.

    In an article from August 29, last year from the Associated Press, an unreleased report by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence was cited that outlined the evidence against Syria that included “a few key caveats — including acknowledging that the US intelligence community no longer has the certainty it did six months ago of where the regime’s chemical weapons are stored, nor does it have proof Assad ordered chemical weapons use”.

    This admission by the intelligence community clearly shows the political bias of a so-called “Government Assessment”.

    Bloomberg’s Javier Blas pointed out that Iran’s involvement would be all the more surprising since one of the ships, the Front Altair is owned by Norwegian John Frederiksen, the owner of the Frontline Tanker company, who moved oil for Iran during the “tanker war” with Iraq.

    Bloomberg columnist Julian Lee noted how Iran “has little to gain” from any such attack.

    A Pentagon official told CBS News that “any retaliation” from the US would depend on whether it can recover hard evidence linking the attacks to Iran, something they might find after a search of the debris.

    After this statement, a CENTCOM release showed footage which US officials say shows Iran caught in the act of “removing an unexploded mine” from one of the tankers attacked on Thursday.

    Footage released by CENTCOM of Iranian vessel.

    Notably, in tweets from Iran’s Supreme Leader issued after his meeting with Prime Minister Abe, he alluded to sanctions imposed on Iran’s petrochemical industry. The tankers hit today were loaded with naphta and methanol, both petrochemical products and not simply crude oil.

    Last Friday, on June 7, the US sanctioned all trade with Iran’s biggest petrochemical producer, seriously hurting the Iranian concern. Iran meanwhile has “categorically” denied any involvement in the attacks. Foreign Minister Zarif noted: “Suspicious doesn’t begin to describe what likely transpired.”

    Iran’s permanent mission to the UN said on Thursday evening that it “categorically rejects the US unfounded claim with regard to 13 June oil tanker incidents and condemns it in the strongest possible terms,” Bloomberg reported.

    President Trump has been trying to force Iran’s hand in negotiations, and recently received the President of Switzerland at the White House. Switzerland is the “protecting power” that represent US diplomatic interests in Iran.

    The German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has also been sent to Iran to press for Iranian concessions, and Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe’s visit to Tehran, may have been similar. Maas met Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei but had no success in moving Iran towards negotiations with the Trump administration.

    US Central Command spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Earl Brown concluded in the CENTCOM statement: “We have no interest in engaging in a new conflict in the Middle East. We will defend our interests, but a war with Iran is not in our strategic interest, nor in the best interest of the international community.”

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • kjf

      Uncanny how bibi seems to know things before…

    • cvessla

      Ever since Trump was elected president two and a half years ago,
      Netanyahu has been urging him
      to take a more aggressive line
      toward Iran.

    • usduygsdfuygsduygysdug

      is there any further proof that it was an Iranian job ?
      next time inform me to play some barrels long…

    Middle East

    US lured Soleimani into Irak ‘to discuss peace’ — regional media

    On January 3, the United States killed Iran's most important commander, Qassem Soleimani. According to Kuwaiti media, which cite Iraq's prime minister as a source, Soleimani was invited by the prime minister at the request of the United States to mediate with Iran. When Soleimani left Baghdad's airport, he was bombed by a US drone along with the entire receiving Iraqi delegation. The United States then announced that it would stop fighting the Islamic State and focus instead on the forces with which it had been allied in the fight against IS. Iraq's parliament has voted to expel the US from Iraq, something the US refuses to obey.

    Christians in Syria mourn the death of Iranian general

    AleppoThe US "maximum pressure" campaign against Iran has surprised at least one blogger, an American analyst who is knowledgeable about the Middle East and speaks Arabic fluently.

    Iraqi parliament votes to eject all foreign troops from its soil

    Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi has publicly declared that he can no longer guarantee the security of foreign troops on Iraqi soil. It is therefore likely that foreign troops will leave soon.

    Washington fails to convince allies of its latest scheme in Syria

    WashingtonAt the high-level State Department meeting in Washington this week, diplomats from 35 nations and international organisations expressed confusion over the Trump administration’s policy in northeast Syria.

    Lebanon faces a ‘crisis of the system’

    BeirutLebanon is currently being shaken by public mass protests against the government. Lebanese political scientist and author Dr. Jamal Wakim offers an insight exclusively for FreeWestMedia.

    Saudi ground forces destroyed

    The Houthi movement, which has been fighting the Saudi-led military intervention of Yemen since 2015, has carried out a large-scale ambush on the border with southern Saudi Arabia, resulting in massive losses to Riyadh and its allies. Thousands of Saudi-led coalition soldiers were killed, injured and captured. It occurred less than two weeks after the Houthis' devastating air attack on September 14 against two very important oil plants in Saudi Arabia, which at stage halved the oil dictatorship's exports. Western media have chosen to ignore or downplay the historical news.

    Oil wars: Iran responds to British seizure of oil tanker

    When the British military seized an Iranian oil tanker, its Marine commandos came on board the vessel by helicopter. Iran has now demonstrated that it can act on the same operational level as Britain, says a military analyst.

    Trump accused of rape a day after he cancels strike on Iran

    New YorkPresident Donald Trump has been accused of "rape" by a journalist only a day after he pulled back on a decision to strike Iran.

    Pentagon admits that Russia is restricting US air sovereignty

    In response to the covert warfare waged by Western and Arab Gulf states for regime change in Syria, Russia has introduced its dreaded S-400 air defense system there. The Russian decision has had global consequences.

    Top US Israel lobby turns against Trump over Syria withdrawal

    WashingtonUS President Donald Trump’s decision to pull American troops out of Syria has created a serious policy dispute with Israel, with an influential pro-Israel lobby turning against the President for the first time since he took office.

    Go to archive