Oscar Caniço, Steve’s father, who died in Nantes on June 22 after a police intervention to stop an electro party on the night of the music festival, said an interview to Ouest-France on July 12 that he blames police.
“Our only hope now is to find the body to mourn,” says Steve’s father, a mason by profession. Oscar Caniço expressed his utter dismay at the situation: “In the evening, especially in the evening, it haunts me. It’s unimaginable.”
The images of police officers hitting young party-goers still haunt him. “I can understand that with all the manifestations of Yellow Vests, it got on the nerves of the police,” he concedes. “But how do you excuse that? […] When we watch the videos where we see police officers hitting, hitting, it’s terrible!” he told Ouest France. “I blame the police. All that was preventable,” said Steve’s father, who has lodged a complaint against the police.
“A lawsuit will eventually follow. It’s not possible otherwise,” says Oscar Caniço, who believes in justice. The research is still ongoing and the mobilization to find Steve is more and more pressing after 22 days without news.
On June 22, around 4am, the police intervened to disperse an evening on the island of Nantes. Images of this muscular intervention quickly appeared on the internet. More than a dozen revelers had fallen in the Loire but Steve has not shown any sign of life since then.
His relatives, but also ordinary citizens, continue to mobilize to find him and get clarification. In addition posters demanding “Where is Steve?” recently appeared on the streets of Nantes.