ANC tries to downplay xenophobic violence in South Africa
The ANC's secretary general Ace Magashule has denied the existence of xenophobia in South Africa, describing the attacks on foreigners as mere "criminality". But FWM spoke to Malawians and Congolese who contradicted Magashule.
Published: September 5, 2019, 10:27 am
The death toll in the South African province of Gauteng has risen to seven after police found two charred bodies in Alexandra, Johannesburg, inside shops torched by xenophobic looters.
Both provincial police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubele and Johannesburg Metro Police Department spokesperson Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar confirmed the two deaths.
Magashule, invited by the SA Students Congress (Sasco) to speak at the Tshwane University of Technology in Pretoria on Wednesday, told journalists that there was no xenophobic violence. “Criminals are actually seizing the opportunity to do [wrong] … that’s why we say police must act very harshly against criminals,” said Magashule.
“What I know, which is factual, is that our presidents, the presidents of Africa are talking, and they have analysed this correctly. They know what is happening. It is not acts of xenophobia, it’s acts of criminality,” Magashule told the media on the sidelines of a Sasco student council election rally.
He said instead there were some “tribal battles” taking place.
In Diepsloot, a black township in the north of Johannesburg, FWM spoke to several Malawians. Their belongings had been stolen by South Africans, they say, and they are afraid to return to their accomodation. Looters also targeted foreign owned shops in the township. According to one Malawian, they were burning shops belonging to Ethiopians and Somalis.
The owner of the residence where the Malawians stay, said the South Africans arrived in a white Toyota truck on Monday morning and started kicking down doors and emptying the rooms, loading plasma televisions and other valuables onto the truck while the Malawians were away. One Malawian said his clothes were stolen and all his shoes, six pairs.
Gauteng’s been the hardest hit province with xenophobic violence registered across all three of its big metros.
In Hillbrow, Johannesburg, a Congolese immigrant showed FWM a video on his cellphone of a foreigner being set on fire. The man was visibly anxious. He said he wanted to leave because black South Africans did not want foreigners in their country. The Congolese immigrant, who speaks French, is currently employed by one of the major supermarkets as a manager. “If the foreigners and the whites leave, this country will implode,” he said.
Police have meanwhile arrested three blacks after they opened fire on a large crowd of looters in the black township of Thokoza, east of Johannesburg, on Wednesday.
Gripped by the wave of xenophobic violence, the three men, aged between 27 and 40, were arrested after empty gun cartridges were discovered by police.
“They [the police] received information that people who had allegedly opened fire at a crowd of protesters were driving in two separate white sedans,” said a police spokesperson. Police tracked down the two vehicles and found two unlicensed firearms with ammunition.
Since the unrest started in Pretoria, Johannesburg and Ekurhuleni on Sunday, 289 people have been arrested for looting and public violence.
The head of strategic communications and member of the World Economic Forum (WEF) executive committee, Olivier Cann meanwhile confirmed that Malawi and Rwanda would not be attending the forum because of the xenophobia-related violence in the province. The conference will now be moved to Cape Town.
The Democratic Republic of Congo, according to a spokesperson from the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco), has not confirmed their attendance while no correspondence was received from Malawi’s Peter Mutharika either, suggesting that both countries will not be attending the event.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari summoned South Africa’s envoy on Tuesday and said it would send a delegation to Pretoria to express “deep concern” over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians.
South African companies are feeling the wrath of other Africans on the continent as a result of the xenophobia. Cellphone giant MTN, MultiChoice and Shoprite have closed shops in Nigeria and Zambia because South African companies are being targeted by protesters following the attacks in Gauteng.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
Robert Mugabe died in a hospital in Singapore on Friday, according to sources. He was surrounded by family including his wife, Grace. He had been receiving treatment in Singapore since April.
JohannesburgA black South African State Forensic Pathologist was found guilty of stealing body parts of a white woman from a mortuary.
PretoriaThe country's radical left-wing and anti-white government is intent on confiscating land belonging to white farmers — without compensation. The process of state-sanctioned land grab was given further momentum when another parliamentary motion was passed on Thursday.
The World Health Organisation says it is time for the world to take notice of this epidemic. A global health emergency has only been declared four times in the past.
An elderly white couple was attacked on their farm on 6 July 2019, at 15:30, in Bokfontein, North West Province. They were violently assaulted and only strategic items were taken.
Political rhetoric and feelings of racial revenge fuel the horrific violence in South Africa, including violence against women and children. The story of Nicky, a white farmer's wife raped by a black attacker, has shocked the country and the world.
StellenboschStefan Smit (62), owner of the wine farm Louiesenhof in Stellenbosch, was shot and killed in his house last week in the latest farm attack. A friend of Smit believes that the murder was a hit job.
In the latest racially-motivated black-on-white murder in South Africa, Johanco Fleischman and Jessica Kuhn were attacked by an armed black group when their vehicle had run out of fuel east of Johannesburg.
The brutal killing of human-rights activist Annette Kennealy on her small farm has again placed South African farm murders in the spotlight.
During South Africa's recent parliamentary elections, the Freedom Front Plus almost trebled its number of votes to 414 844 and the number of its MPs in the national parliament increased from 4 to 10. Dan Roodt spoke to a long-standing and prominent party member, Werner Weber.