On Thursday evening a man randomly opened fire on customers in an establishment of the 15th arrondissement of the city.
The judicial police have been tasked with the investigation which, according to statements, looks like a settlement of accounts.
A man armed with a shotgun burst in a bar in Marseille (Bouches-du-Rhone) on Thursday night and opened fire on customers before fleeing. Seven 12-gauge cases were found on the scene, testifying to the violence of the shooting.
Arriving on a motorcycle around 8.45 pm in front of the establishment of the 15th arrondissement, the man injured at least six people, according to regional daily La Provence. One of the wounded was hospitalized in serious condition.
For the moment, it is impossible to say if the seriously wounded individual had specifically been targeted by the shooter. The method of this attack appears more like a settlement of an account than an attack, said public prosecutor Xavier Tarabeux.
On Christmas Eve 2017, a 26-year-old man lost his life in the same bar in the Calade district, Le Terminus. He had been shot dead as part of a settlement of accounts in an ongoing drug gang warfare.
Since the beginning of the year, ten people have been killed in settling scores in the Bouches-du-Rhone, including seven in Marseille. The latest incident was on Sunday evening, in the 13th arrondissement in which a man was killed.
Also on Wednesday night, a 17-year-old boy lost his life near St Charles train station, after a fatal small caliber pistol shot in the chest. The victim was known for violent robbery and drug trafficking. It is thought to have been a drug “deal” that went wrong.
In a statement, Socialist Senator Bouches-du-Rhone Samia Ghali, former mayor of the 15th and 16th arrondissements, regretted that “Marseille is becoming used to hearing hissing bullets” and that society has become “anesthetized”.
France has “lost the fight against drug trafficking” in many suburbs, Emmanuel Macron admitted last year. Poverty, drug running and Islamic fundamentalism are rife in these areas, and many homegrown jihadists have come from such districts.
Marseille’s notorious drug and violence-plagued 14th district saw six people shot dead in drug turf wars in the first five months of 2018. Last year the Interior Minister promised to dispatch an extra 60 officers to Marseille by 2019 to end the violence.
The opposition Republicans said the measures would do little to end the violence. “Community policing against men armed with Kalashnikovs: the president’s response is totally out of touch,” spokeswoman Laurence Sailliet noted on Twitter.
New measures against rising crime will be announced on Wednesday, November 6. According to Le Parisien, the introduction of economic quotas on immigration will be announced by an Interministerial Committee on Immigration.
There will also be, as of 2020, “an annual debate in Parliament to define quotas by sector of activity,” the daily reported. The information was also confirmed on Tuesday morning by Muriel Pénicaud on BFMTV. According to the Minister of Labor, these professional immigration quotas will be set up “next summer”.
The measure seems to be unpopular with Macronistas however. “Making immigration the priority of the school year is a political choice. Of course, we must not abandon the subject to others. But was there urgency?” a member LREM wanted to know. And added: “It’s a bet. But is it up to the president to make bets? Or are we waiting for him to preserve the cohesion of the country?”