Skip to Content

Moroccans in Ter Apel. Screen shot from RVT Noord report
The Hague

Record numbers of Moroccans vainly apply for Dutch asylum

Moroccans are increasingly applying for asylum in the Netherlands, while the chance of a residence permit is almost zero.

Published: December 12, 2019, 1:05 pm

    According to figures from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND), there were already 1032 requests in the first nine months of this year.

    “Asylum seekers come in and then they have to find out afterwards whether they are entitled to stay. That results in long procedures and high costs,” says immigration researcher Jan van de Beek.

    In the same period of 2018, only 803 asylum applications were submitted by Moroccans. The applications from foreign nationals from the North African country are almost always without prospects. According to the IND, only one percent of all Moroccans receive a residence permit.

    If the trend of this year continues, the record year of 2016 for asylum requests will be matched. In that year 1 283 Moroccans applied for asylum. The numbers are in sharp contrast to previous years. For example, only 90 Moroccans applied for asylum in the Netherlands in 2015, 65 the year before.

    Last week the ambassador of the North African country canceled another meeting with State Secretary Broekers-Knol from the Ministry of Justice. The discussions would finally have centered on the asylum seekers who have exhausted all legal remedies and who are only rarely taken back by Morocco, but it was cancelled at short notice without giving reasons.

    This is an unheard of and unprecedented humiliation in the diplomatic world. One would expect Dutch parliamentarians to stand up and defend the state secretary, but there has only been a deafening silence, especially from Rotterdam mayor Aboutaleb or Chamber President Arib, both from Moroccan origin.

    There are also dark figures from the same diaspora, operating within the Amsterdam “Mocromaffia”, such as Ridouan T, who has earned the designation of the “most wanted criminal in the Netherlands”.

    The Dutch government has for some time been trying to curb the flow of asylum seekers from the African country, which is the reason why in 2016, the country was labeled as safe. Once in the Netherlands, asylum seekers from safe countries such as, Morocco, Algeria and Albania cause trouble, Dutch daily De Telegraaf noted. These foreigners are mainly involved in petty crimes such as shoplifting as well as intimidation.

    Mayor Jos Hessels of Echt warned last month in De Telegraaf about a possible closure of the asylum seekers’ center in his village. The municipality has been receiving asylum seekers since 1990, but the nuisance they cause is mounting and inhabitants are fed up.

    Hessels wants the government to solve the problems with asylum seekers from safe countries as quickly as possible.

    Earlier this year, the mayors of Harderwijk and Hoogeveen also sounded the alarm about the nuisance of the “safe arrivals”. In Ter Apel the problems seem even greater. According to the mayor of the village, “95 percent” of shoplifters involve an asylum seeker from a safe country.

    “The apparent abuse of the asylum procedure by criminal, trouble-making and hopeless asylum seekers further underlines that the asylum system is bankrupt,” says immigration researcher Jan van de Beek.

    Asylum seekers come in and then they have to find out afterwards whether they are entitled to stay. Because that results in long procedures and high costs to get rid of them, noting is being done. “If, after those long procedures, the conclusion is that one should not stay, it is also noticeably difficult to deport them,” Van de Beek added.

    In Ter Apel, on the bus line 73, the drivers and security guards know what they see in their rear view mirrors. They have learned to distinguish between passengers from anywhere in the world and “the guys who refuse to buy a ticket and make this known verbally, while having sufficient financial resources,” said one busdriver.

    When the doors of the bus open for a flood of dark school children, the terror comes from forty, fifty of them, the driver explains.

    He says the violence committed by young Rotterdam Moroccans on the bus, who apply for asylum “for the debit premium” are not exaggerated on YouTube videos. He said authorities should act: “Do something about it!”

    A cashier from a store in the Dutch town says the stories about theft and insults and how difficult it is to report, are all real. The youngsters caught in the act simply grin and say “call the police”, because they know that calling the police is useless, she explains. Fortunately, they have now hired Vladimir, a huge Russian, as a security guard.

    Members of the House of Representatives are allowing this situation to continue.

    Almost 20 years ago in Ter Apel, “asylum tourists” as they were called, had caused problems. They were fake refugees who benefited from the long asylum procedures. They are now called “safe arrivals” or Veiligelanders. In ten years’ time, says the driver, it will be “the same story again”.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Nigerians terrorize Italian city

    PaduaThe Nigerian mafia has been busy in the Italian city of Padua. In less than 24 hours there were two violent episodes in the city center, and as always on via Diego Valeri.

    France: 41 percent ‘ignore’ news

    A survey carried out for a newspaper shows a growing distrust of the French towards the media.

    Gang rapes: Number of foreign suspects in Germany increasing

    BerlinThe proportion of foreign suspects in gang rapes in Germany has increased significantly in the past five years. This is despite the fact that the total number of suspects decreased between 2015 and 2017.

    Candidate recruits people of  ‘Turkish origin’ for French municipal elections

    Given the extent of the controversy, Mohamed Dine has now deleted his ad, previously posted on his Facebook page.

    Charlie Hebdo also defended pedophilia

    ParisLike part of the libertarian left at the time, the satirical newspaper supported three pedophile criminals, accused of having abused minors, before they were sentenced in 1977.

    Conservative German author’s reading cancelled in Dresden

    DresdenGerman author Uwe Tellkamp had his reading cancelled. It was not because of a lack of public interest, illness of the organiser or an important participant, or official orders for violations of the fire protection regulations. No, it had to be canceled because the author has a certain opinion.

    Pedophile personalities shake up French literary scene

    ParisThe French writer Gabriel Matzneff who has been accused by the novelist Vanessa Springora of pedophilia, benefits from low-cost housing in the heart of Paris which was allocated to him in 1994. Some other sordid facts about him and his friends have resurfaced.

    AfD sues German domestic spy agency over tracking

    BerlinThe AfD intends to take legal action against the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, the domestic spy agency.

    Dispute over German broadcaster’s “environmental pig” song continues

    CologneSeveral editors from German public broadcaster WDR have accused director Tom Buhrow of harming the broadcaster with the so-called "environmental pig" affair. On Tuesday there will therefore be an editorial meeting in which Buhrow will also take part.

    Cars in flames all over France at the start of the New Year

    The car-burnings in France continue. There were burnt cars in Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Limoges, Nantes and other cities.

    Go to archive