US to send Rangers and Marines into Raqqa
The US has sent 400 additional troops to Syria in support of an effort to capture the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, the Islamic State's most important urban area in Syria.
Published: March 11, 2017, 8:33 am
Fox chief White House correspondent, John Roberts called the deployment of Rangers and Marines, who arrived in the past few days, a ‘dramatic recalibration” of American presence in Syria. US special forces are already in Syria to act as a “buffer” in support of Kurdish forces fighting ISIS.
The plan includes the deployment of attack helicopters, the Washington Post reported. The force, part of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, “include part of an artillery battery that can fire powerful 155-millimeter shells from M-777 Howitzers, two officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the deployment”.
The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), a militia alliance including the Kurdish YPG, is the main US partner, Reuters reported.
According to the BBC, the US-led coalition air strikes “killed 20 civilians – including children – near the city”.
Various forces – many hostile to one another, are now at intersecting front lines, including: Syrian Kurdish, Kurdish allied Arab forces, American Special Forces, Syrian government troops, Russian special forces, Iranian units, Turkish military units and Turkish allied forces, Newsweek reported.
A Pentagon official told Reuters that the effort to isolate Raqqa was “going very very well” and could be completed in a few weeks. “Then the decision to move in can be made,” he told Reuters by telephone.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is to host talks with coalition members ahead of an expected assault on Raqqa, according to the BBC. A US official told reporters on Wednesday that “Raqqa will probably not be the final battle against ISIS.”
Foreign ministers and senior officials from 68 nations and international organisations have been invited to Washington for a meeting on 22 March, the state department said.
The Associated Press news agency reports that presdient Donald Trump wants to give the Pentagon greater flexibility to make routine combat decisions in the assault on ISIS, as commanders on the ground had been frustrated by what they considered micromanagement by the Obama administration.
The US is also said to be preparing to send up to 1 000 troops to Kuwait to serve as a reserve force to be deployed against ISIS if necessary.
On Friday Democrats introduces legislation that would prevent funding for US boots on the ground in Syria as the fight against the Islamic State in the city of Raqqa is intensifying.
“The bill I am introducing today prohibits the Department of Defense from funding any attempt by the administration to expand our presence in Syria by putting US combat boots on the ground,” Barbara Lee, a black lawmaker from California said in a statement to The Hill.
“It is our constitutional duty as members of Congress to place a check on the executive branch in matters of war and peace,” Lee said.
Lee’s bill would prevent the Pentagon from funding ground combat operations in Syria or hire a private security firm to do the same, but includes exceptions to “protect, rescue or remove” US personnel, The Hill reported.
Lee also attempted to impose these restrictions as an amendment to the defense spending bill passed by the House on Wednesday, but the House Rules Committee blocked the amendment, The Hill reported.
The Obama administration’s limits cap the military to no more than 503 US forces in Syria — but temporary personnel do not count towards that cap.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
KabulThere have been numerous reports of Taliban Special Forces Units patrolling in Kabul. These units are very different from the traditional set-up of militant groups. And it is evident that the Taliban got the equipment for the battalion – state-of-the-art US military hardware and weapons and the same military equipment used by Afghan forces – from the departing US Army. But who trained them?
WashingtonWhen the US armed forces left the Taliban with US military goods worth almost 85 billion dollars, pundits blamed President Joe Biden's ineptitude. Great Britain curiously now also falls into this category.
Taliban fighters not only took control of Kabul and the Afghan government on August 15. They also gained access to a gigantic deposit of minerals essential for renewable energies, possibly giving China an indisputable edge.
Tel AvivDespite a third vaccine "booster shot" at least 14 Israelis have been diagnosed with Covid-19, according to Health Ministry data. And two of those infected after receiving the third vaccine injection, have been hospitalized.
Israelis who were vaccinated before late February are twice as likely to catch the Coronavirus than those who received the shot later, according to new research. The data suggests that the vaccinated have now involuntarily signed up for a lifetime of "booster" shots if they survive the vaccine.
The Syrian first lady has been accused by a London based law firm of terrorism and war crimes, which stem from her support of the Syrian Arab Army (SAA), through her speeches, meeting with and comforting the mothers of slain soldiers, and meeting with the women’s branch of the SAR.
TripoliAccording to President of the Russian Foundation for Protecting National Values Alexander Malkevich, Russian sociologists Maxim Shugaley and Samer Sueifan have finally been released after a long captivity in Libya. This information is confirmed by Mikhail Bogdanov, the Russian president's special representative for the Middle East and Africa and deputy foreign minister.
BeirutAfter the disaster that struck the Lebanese capital, Emmanuel Macron asked during his trip on Thursday for a “profound change” on the part of the leaders of Lebanon. He also met with a Hezbollah representative.
TripoliGeneral Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA) has finally eliminated Libya's Ansar al-Sharia terrorists affiliated with Al-Qaida.
On March 9, the spokesperson for the Libyan National Army (LNA) Command, General Ahmad Mismari, said that the Government of National Accord (GNA) forces had launched a large-scale offensive against LNA positions. Arab media have also confirmed this information.