French Interior Minister acts surprised after ISIS attack in Trebes
A series of attacks hit the French region of Aude on Friday. A 26-year-old Moroccan national, Redouane Lakdim, went on an ISIS killing spree. The French Interior Minister claimed no one could have predicted the act.
Published: March 25, 2018, 9:52 am
Four people were killed in the town of Trebes by a gunman claiming allegiance to the Islamic State militant group.
Lakdim had been living in Carcassonne and reportedly obtained a French citizenship in 2015. He hijacked a car, wounding the driver and killing the passenger, to drive to Trebes where he took people hostage at a supermarket.
Some of the hostages managed to leave the supermarket before a police assault, when a French gendarme swapped places with several people being held by the terrorist.
But for his heroic deed, Arnaud Beltrame died of his injuries during Trebes supermarket siege.
Beltrame, who had arrived at the site of the incident, swapped places with a female hostage. Lakdim then opened fire on the officer, who suffered heavy wounds.
The police stormed the building of the supermarket and shot down the attacker.
🙏🏻 @MLP_officiel a tenu à honorer la mémoire d’Arnaud Beltrame par une minute de silence, lors de la première réunion du nouveau Bureau National de notre mouvement. #ArnaudBeltrame 🇫🇷 pic.twitter.com/KvkEgPL6bF
— Front National (@FN_officiel) March 24, 2018
Marine Le Pen, Front national leader, said: “Lieutenant-Colonel Arnaud Beltrame acted as a hero against the enemy. I think of his family, his dear ones. May his sacrifice mark a radical turning point in the struggle against the Islamic State.”
She mocked the ridiculous statements by the Interior Minister Gerard Collomb, who said the terrorist had “acted alone”. According to leftwing daily Liberation, Collomb said the terrorist was 26 years old and “was known for petty crime. We followed him and we thought that there was no radicalization, he acted on the spur of the moment.” He added: “He was known for possession of and dealing with narcotics. It could not be predicted that he was going to be a radical actor.”
Fearing a backlash from conservative voters, the government of Emannuel Macron quickly announced that Beltrame would receive a hero’s burial.
“President of the Republic [Emmanuel Macron] decided that national honors will be paid to Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame who gave his life to defend our citizens,” a Saturday government statement read.
The decision was made following a French Security Council meeting earlier on the same day.
Le lieutenant-colonel Arnaud Beltrame nous a quittés.
Mort pour la patrie.
Jamais la France n’oubliera son héroïsme, sa bravoure, son sacrifice.
Le coeur lourd, j’adresse le soutien du pays tout entier à sa famille, ses proches et ses compagnons de la @Gendarmerie de l’Aude. pic.twitter.com/I1h8eO7f9a
— Gérard Collomb (@gerardcollomb) March 24, 2018
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
SeoulThe economic damage that the Coronavirus epidemic could wreak globally, was confirmed when the United States raised its travel advisory for industrial giant South Korea.
ParisThe president of the National Rally, Marine Le Pen, responded after the shocking revelations by a French weekly magazine on how the European Court of Human Rights has been infiltrated by organisations answering to the American "philanthropist" George Soros.
It appears that the Italian judiciary is in a hurry to move against former Interior Minister Matteo Salvini. The offices of the investigating magistrate of Catania have already received the official request of the prosecutor to set a preliminary hearing in the context of the proceeding against the Salvini "kidnapping" case.
ParisIn its latest issue, a French weekly revealed the extent of the influence of Georges Soros, the Hungarian billionaire at the head of the NGO network Open Society Foundations, on the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
BrusselsThe European Commissioner of the Interior defended the right of migrants to ask for asylum, and even though this right “cannot be offered at each meter of the border” it should be, she argued.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Thursday warned of a rise in the number of organised groups of migrants attempting to enter the country as summer approaches as migration pressure increases on the country's southern border.
ParisIn total, between 2015 and 2017, some 44 000 people were victims of a stabbing attack in France.
BrusselsIt's Europe's "big four" - new axis between four major countries of the European Union, trying to take the place of the Franco-German axis, which has been in crisis due to the continuous divergences between Paris and Berlin.
RomeDuring his year at the head of the Italian Ministry of the Interior, Matteo Salvini never stopped fighting illegal immigration. The boss of the League in Italy is accused of kidnapping because he blocked a boat of illegal migrants off the coast of Sicily when he was Minister of the Interior.
BerlinIn the case of the Thuringian Prime Minister Thomas Kemmerich (FDP), who was forced to resign, the AfD has announced that it will report Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) for coercion.