Skip to Content

Ebola virus; Cooking bushmeat (Photo supplied)

Incurable Ebola is back!

The Democratic Republic of Congo has been alerted to an outbreak of Ebola, with 21 cases of the infection reported, and 17 of those are now deceased.

Published: May 11, 2018, 9:13 am

    The World Health Organisation reported that the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has declared the outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever, a rare and deadly disease, this week.

    Laboratory results confirmed two cases of the disease in the province of Bikoro in the northwestern part of the country. The test were run at a small health facility about 30 kilometers from the town. Bikoro is situated on the shores of Lake Tumba near the border with the Republic of the Congo. The outbreak was caused by one of five Ebola viruses.

    Neighbouring countries have been alerted and an Incident Management System has been set up in response. A government statement released this week stated that the Ministry of Health has “taken all necessary measures to respond promptly and effectively to this new epidemic of Ebola in the DRC’s national territory”.

    Sky News learned that at least 10 others have been infected – including staff members at the hospital in Bikoro. Congo’s health minister meanwhile announced that one of the 10 had died on Thursday.

    “We will gather more samples, conduct contact tracing, engage the communities with messages on prevention and control, and put in place methods for improving data collection and sharing,” said Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, the WHO’s regional director for Africa. “WHO will work closely with health authorities and partners to support the national response.”

    This is its ninth outbreak of Ebola virus disease since the discovery of the virus in the country in 1976. The last outbreak, was in 2017. The average case fatality rate for Ebola hemorrhagic fever is around 60 to 90 percent, and the deadly virus most commonly affects humans and nonhuman primates – monkeys, gorillas, and chimpanzees alike.

    FreeWestMedia noted last year: “Bushmeat was believed to be at the origin of the former devastating West African Ebola outbreak. The first victim’s family ate bats, which carry the virus. The meat of wild animals is popular in Africa, including eating chimpanzees, fruit bats and rats. ”

    According to a WHO official there is serious cause for concern since several cases of Ebola were first documented in December, implying that the virus has already had five months to spread.

    Medecins Sans Frontier (MSF) officials told Sky that aggressive measures were called for to check its advance and they were “urgently assessing the situation”. There is no cure for the disease.

    The world’s worst Ebola outbreak took the lives of 11 000 people in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia in 2014 after the virus spread from a small village in rural Guinea.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Africa

    Erdogan’s Africa Corps

    The Turkish Parliament adopted a motion at an emergency session on January 2, authorising the government to send Turkish troops to Libya for one year.

    Two Tu-160 ‘White Swans’ create a stir in Pretoria

    PretoriaOn Wednesday 23 October, two Russian strategic Tupolev Tu-160 bombers arrived in South Africa after a record flight of more than 11 000 kilometers that lasted over 13 hours.

    South Africa: ANC continues to ignore farm murders

    PretoriaIt is a staggering statistic but the South African government insists that it is not happening: During September 2019, there were forty-six farm attacks and seven farm murders, whilst one farm attack was averted.

    Mugabe’s bloody reign of terror in Zimbabwe

    Robert Mugabe died in a hospital in Singapore on Friday, according to sources. He was surrounded by family including his wife, Grace. He had been receiving treatment in Singapore since April.

    South African State Pathologist found guilty of stealing body parts

    JohannesburgA black South African State Forensic Pathologist was found guilty of stealing body parts of a white woman from a mortuary.

    Countdown to land grab: South African farmers under siege

    PretoriaThe country's radical left-wing and anti-white government is intent on confiscating land belonging to white farmers — without compensation. The process of state-sanctioned land grab was given further momentum when another parliamentary motion was passed on Thursday.

    WHO: Ebola outbreak now a ‘global health emergency’

    The World Health Organisation says it is time for the world to take notice of this epidemic. A global health emergency has only been declared four times in the past.

    Two farm attacks within 24 hours in South Africa

    An elderly white couple was attacked on their farm on 6 July 2019, at 15:30, in Bokfontein, North West Province. They were violently assaulted and only strategic items were taken.

    Raped Eastern-Cape woman: Was I a ‘settler who had to be killed’?

    Political rhetoric and feelings of racial revenge fuel the horrific violence in South Africa, including violence against women and children. The story of Nicky, a white farmer's wife raped by a black attacker, has shocked the country and the world.

    Friend of victim says Stellenbosch farm murder was a hit job

    StellenboschStefan Smit (62), owner of the wine farm Louiesenhof in Stellenbosch, was shot and killed in his house last week in the latest farm attack. A friend of Smit believes that the murder was a hit job.

    Go to archive