Skip to Content

BAMF headquarters, Google maps; Horst Seehofer (Wikipedia)
Berlin

Fresh scandal erupts over migrant applications in Germany

A fresh scandal has erupted over fraudulent residency approvals for migrants by the German Federal Office for Immigration and Refugees (BAMF).

Published: May 30, 2018, 8:19 am

    Read more

    BAMF employees blamed executives in an open letter published by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung on Tuesday for the widespread corruption in migrant applications. “The so-called executives, and not the low-ranking employees of the federal office, must be in focus,” said council chairman Rudolf Scheinost and deputy chairman Paul Müller in the open letter.

    It has been revealed that a criminal syndicate helped Nigerian immigrants get residency by providing Berlin authorities with fake papers. The immigration authority reportedly ignored internal warnings and kept approving the applications.

    The fresh allegations in the growing BAMF corruption scandal came to light on Tuesday, when Berlin broadcaster RBB reported that the Berlin branch of the BAMF had enabled immigration fraud for many years. The case is being investigated by Berlin prosecutors.

    The new allegations come in the wake of the negligence charges against the BAMF office in Bremen.

    The RBB reported that a criminal syndicate in Berlin had created fake identity documents for over 200 Nigerians to help them gain residency status in the country by sending the African migrants to the same BAMF office with a Portuguese woman who would claim to be their wife.

    According to EU law, the immediate family of EU citizens can be granted residency and a work permit if that person can prove that they are working in that country.

    Portuguese women were flown into Berlin for a BAMF appointment for which they were provided with fake papers that appeared to prove that they were working in Germany and also that they were married to the African seeking residency. Such applications were approved in most cases.

    Prosecutors believe that the marriage documents were faked in Nigeria, while the work contract was created by the ex-owner of a Berlin brothel.

    Their trick was used more than 200 times between 2015 and 2017, sometimes more than once in the same week. The same Portuguese “wife” even appeared for many of the appointments, producing a different set of identity papers.

    BAMF employees who spoke with RBB, said seniors staff had been warned on several occasions about possible corruption, but simply ignored their warnings. The Berlin Senate has denied the accusations that they had been allowing the fraud to continue for years.

    The Bremen office is meanwhile being investigated for taking bribes to ensure that over 1 200 asylum requests were approved, despite the applicants not meeting the requirements to stay in Germany.

    The BAMF central authority also tried to hide the extent of the fraud, fearing damage to its reputation.

    German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer has promised extensive investigations into the matter, but critics say a special meeting of the Committee on Home Affairs is not enough.

    Following the investigations of Seehofer and Cordt, another special session has been announced.  But Andrea Lindholz, like several other Union politicians, stressed that an internal committee would not be an investigation committee.

    Former Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière and former BAMF leader Frank-Jürgen Weise and Manfred Schmidt have not publicly commented on the allegations against BAMF.

    There is sadly no majority for an investigation committee to look into the BAMF affair. While the AFD and FDP parties have demanded a comprehensive investigation by a committee of inquiry, the Greens and the Union and SPD are dragging their heels. The leftists do clearly not want an inquiry committee.

    Setting up an investigation committee would need a quorum which the FDP and AfD together lack. Both parliamentary groups have 172 votes, while 177 of the 709 deputies are required.

    German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer and BAMF chief Juta Cordt addressed a parliamentary committee on Tuesday to clarify the situation. The closed-doors hearing lasted five hours.

    Seehofer has proposed reforming the way asylum applications are handled. The former Bavarian state premier has also floated the idea of so-called reception centers where migrants would be processed upon arrival.

    A new probe into the scandal could see the backlog of asylum applications increase, since some 18 000 asylum applications which had been approved at the BAMF office in Bremen will now have to be reviewed.

    Cordt said pending applications are likely to rise to 80 000 cases, up from the current 50 000, because no new employees will be appointed to look into the fraud.

    TAZ, a leftist daily known for its pro-refugee sympathies, has called for a public enquiry. “The BAMF is the German authority which is most dangerous for societal peace if it messes up,” the newspaper stated on Monday.

    “This isn’t just about terrorists or criminals who could have used the authorities in Bremen to waltz into the country… in every village pub there will now be people saying ‘I told you so’ and others who no longer greet their Syrian neighbours.”

     

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Turkish law will allow rapists to marry their victims

    The law “Marry your rapist” will allow the marriage of children with their executioners.

    Salvini’s party narrowly loses in leftwing fief Emilia-Romagna

    BolognaThe ruling leftist coalition partner, the Democratic Party (PD) held onto Emilia-Romagna in regional elections in Italy on Sunday against Matteo Salvini's League party.

    Racist and xenophobic incidents in France rise by 130 percent

    In France, some 1 142 racist and xenophobic incidents were counted in 2019, suggesting an increase of 130 percent.

    Migrant smugglers use Instagram in Turkey

    The social network now makes it possible to connect smugglers and candidates for illegal immigration to Europe.

    After court decision: No place for AfD party conference

    BerlinAfter massive threats from Antifa, the Berlin AfD party conference planned for the coming weekend cannot take place. On Thursday, the Berlin district court announced its decision that the landlord of the Pankow ball room could not be forced to house the AfD despite a valid lease.

    Protests erupt in Greece over migrant saturation

    AthensMass protests against the admission of asylum seekers began on the Greek islands on Wednesday. The motto: "We want our islands back, we want our lives back."

    Nigerians terrorize Italian city

    PaduaThe Nigerian mafia has been busy in the Italian city of Padua. In less than 24 hours there were two violent episodes in the city center, and as always on via Diego Valeri.

    France: 41 percent ‘ignore’ news

    A survey carried out for a newspaper shows a growing distrust of the French towards the media.

    Gang rapes: Number of foreign suspects in Germany increasing

    BerlinThe proportion of foreign suspects in gang rapes in Germany has increased significantly in the past five years. This is despite the fact that the total number of suspects decreased between 2015 and 2017.

    Candidate recruits people of  ‘Turkish origin’ for French municipal elections

    Given the extent of the controversy, Mohamed Dine has now deleted his ad, previously posted on his Facebook page.

    Go to archive