Salvini blocks NGO human trafficking vessels from entering Italian ports
Italian Interior Minister and Deputy Premier Matteo Salvini has announced that migrants saved by boats run by non-governmental organisations will not be allowed to enter any Italian harbour.
Published: July 2, 2018, 5:24 am
Salvini has accused NGOs of encouraging the trafficking of migrants. He told Corriere della Sera these NGOs were no longer “legitimate”.
Italy refused a boat full of migrants, the Aquarius, to disembark last month. Spain meanwhile agreed to take them after days at sea.
The Maltese government also said on Thursday that it has closed its ports to NGO-run migrant-rescue ships after the case of the Lifeline vessel. “Following recent events that brought to the fore information that was previously unknown, Malta needs to ascertain that operations being conducted by entities using its port services and operating within the area of Maltese responsibility are in accordance with national and international rules,” a statement said.
“This includes, but is not solely limited to, the certification or registration of vessels involved. “Given that there are investigations being carried out by independent authorities, and until these issues are clarified, Malta cannot allow entities, whose structure might be similar to that being subject to investigations, to make use of Malta as their port of operations, and to enter or leave the said port.
“This is also in view of judicial processes that might ensue, and in order for the Maltese authorities not to be considered to be approving of systems of operations that might eventually be found to be carried out in breach of their own and international rules”.
A summit in Brussels by EU leaders on the migrant crisis came to an “agreement” on the creation of “refugee centres” to receive migrants in EU countries on a voluntary basis – but it does not specify where.
President Emmanuel Macron of France quickly said – within only hours after the deal – that such camps should be in countries where migrants arrived first – such as Italy and Greece, but not France.
Italy insists that these may be set up anywhere in the EU. German Chancellor Angela Merkel persists in pretending that migrants are people “escaping the brutal war in Syria” even as rights groups themselves admit that there were safe zones in Syria and thus no reason to flee. Those Syrians who left for Turkey were safe and – most importantly – only 20 percent of the influx into the EU were from Syria anyway.
At least three EU countries have since denied reaching any final agreement with Germany on the return of migrants to the country of entry after the Brussels summit ended.
Spain and Greece have agreed to take back migrants, but not Italy, Austria or Hungary. The latter was one of the countries listed in German media reports as in agreement with Merkel. The embattled German leader herself told the media there had been “political consent” from 14 EU nations to strike such a deal in Brussels.
“No such deal has been reached,” spokesman for Hungary’s government Zoltan Kovacs said. Budapest has repeatedly rejected German attempts to “return” migrants to their first EU country of entry. Poland and the Czech Republic, also denied reaching any agreements on the issue.
“There are no any new agreements regarding the reception of asylum seekers from EU countries, we confirm (that), like the Czech Republic and Hungary,” Polish Foreign Ministry spokesman Artur Lompart noted.
Dublin repatriations from Germany currently only succeed in only 15 percent of cases, Reuters reported. According to the EU agreement on migrants, known as the Dublin Accord, the country of first entry is responsible for accommodating new arrivals. Merkel had previously ignored the Dublin Accord.
Salvini meanwhile attacked another EU globalist institution on Thursday. He said the European Court of Human Rights’s ruling condemning Italy for confiscating several illegal construction sites without convicting those responsible, showed the court should be shut down.
The Strasbourg court’s ruling regarded the Punta Perotti site in Puglia, Golfo Aranci near Olbia in Sardinia, and two sites near Reggio Calabria, Testa di Cane and Fiumarella di Pellaro.
The ECHR said Italian authorities breached the right to respect private property. “The Strasbourg court condemns Italy and defends eyesores and the unregulated cementification,” League leader Salvini responded after hearing the verdict. “It is the umpteenth proof that certain institutions should be closed down”.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
BayonneFour "youths" that boarded a bus in Bayonne, France, without tickets and without masks violently attacked a bus driver on Sunday. The driver was left brain dead. Yet another sad story totally ignored by the system media that illustrates the impoverishment of French society as a result of "diversity".
ParisThe big surprise of the new French administration after a reshuffle, is the appointment of the very mediatic lawyer at the Ministry of Justice, Éric Dupond-Moretti.
TripoliThese days Turkey is vying for the title of top thug in both Europe and Northern Africa. Apart from the “spy scandal” with France, Turkey has been meddling directly in the Libyan conflict in a profoundly comprehensive and controversial way, deepening existing tensions.
BerlinThe US is disrupting free trade and has imposed extraterritorial sanctions to try to stop the flow of energy on the world market, says Dr. Bruno Bandulet, former editor at German daily Die Welt.
BerlinThe German government - Chancellor Angela Merkel, Defense Minister Kramp-Karrenbauer and Agnieszka Brugger, a Green MP on the Parliament’s Defense Committee - has moved to disband an elite soldier unit.
WarsawJanusz Korwin-Mikke is one of the most controversial elder statesman, former member of the European Parliament and a politician in Poland. FWM spoke with him exclusively about the presidential elections being held in his country.
BarcelonaSome 150 Vox party supporters gathered on Saturday to protect the statue of Christopher Columbus in Barcelona.
The National Rally (RN), led by Marine Le Pen has won the municipalities of Perpignan, Moissac and Bruay-la-Buissière. Le Pen hailed “a real victory” for the party across the country.
TripoliTensions caused by the Libyan conflict have hardened not just between two parties in the country – the Government of National Accord (GNA) and the Libyan National Army (LNA) – but between foreign powers as well.
ParisIn an interview on CNews, the popular French commentator Eric Zemmour discussed the Black Lives Matter riots. He pointed out that despite being staged in such widely differing countries, they all have the same modus operandi.