Skip to Content

Guangzhou. Wikipedia

Africans not welcome in one of China’s biggest cities

Last month, several hotels in China's Guangzhou, the capital and most populous city of the province of Guangdong, posted notices refusing African guests, saying they were no longer welcome. Among those turned away at the door was a Ugandan magistrate.

Published: August 14, 2018, 9:35 am

    Read more

    Guangzhou

    When Juliet Hatanga arrived at the Tokai Hotel in Guangzhou’s Xiaobei neighbourhood in the afternoon on July 20, she was informed by staff at the front desk that Ugandan nationals were no longer allowed to stay in the area’s hotels.

    Hatanga had traveled to the city, planning to spend “four or five” nights at the hotel, according to a Ugandan community leader in Guangzhou, who asked to remain anonymous.

    Hatanga — who works as a principal magistrate in her home country — contacted staff at the Uganda Consulate General in Guangzhou, who in turn put her in touch with locally based Ugandan community leaders.

    “I picked her up and took her to Starbucks for a coffee and told her to calm down,” one Ugandan community leader, who asked to remain anonymous, told me. “I then called the consul general [of Uganda] and I briefed him on what was happening.”

    Several notifications, while all worded differently, stated that the hotels in the area were not allowed to receive guests from African countries, usually accompanied by apologies “for the inconvenience”.

    One notice, posted by Waifiden Apartments dated July 6, states the building “will not receive foreign guests from all African countries”. Guests from Nigeria and Uganda had been turned away in previous weeks at the request of the police. The hotel staffer assured reporters however that the ban on African guests had been lifted and that “everything is back to normal”.

    According to Uganda’s Sunday Monitor newspaper, the situation in Guangzhou has worsened for Ugandans due to “many suspects involved in crime, especially drug trafficking, being found to be holding Ugandan passports”. It appears that many Africans arrested carrying a Ugandan passport are actually Nigerian citizens.

    The Monitor reported that many restaurants specializing in African cuisine have been forced to cease operations at the behest of Chinese authorities.

    In response to the reports, the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Republic of Uganda issued a statement denying that hotels were instructed by authorities to reject Ugandans and Nigerians, according to Uganda’s New Vision newspaper.

    “The situation that some Africans including Ugandans were refused to check into budget hotels in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China was purely resulted from the self-made decisions of isolated hotels,” the New Vision reported on July 28.

    When contacted for comment, a staffer at the Uganda Consulate General in Guangzhou said that no one was available for comment and directed reporters to the statement issued by the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Republic of Uganda. Staff at the Consulate General of Nigeria in Guangzhou denied any knowledge of Nigerian citizens being denied accommodation in Guangzhou.

    Xiaobei is an area in Guangzhou’s Yuexiu District that is often referred to as “Little Africa” due to the large number of African expats, traders, and travelers that live and work in the neighborhood.

    According to statistics released in January by the city’s police bureau, Guangzhou is now home to 15 000 Africans, a 25 percent drop from 2009. The number does not include illegal immigrants and those who overstay their visa, according to Xinhua.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Africa

    Video clip shows how South African hero fights off armed attack

    PretoriaA film clip from South Africa shows how a former task force member heroically fights his way through an armed robbery on a motorway in the South African capital Pretoria. Despite the fact that the vehicle is hit by bullets a large number of times, the man, Leo Prinsloo, 48, does not lose his cool but rams the robbers' cars several times before he, armed with a semi-automatic rifle, chases them on foot.

    The race for Sudan

    KhartoumIs Washington once again trying to be a hegemonic power in Africa? Are the Americans back?

    ‘Who are the great apes?’ French school in Morocco stirs up controversy

    CasablancaConfusion, anger, incomprehension… The parents of students at the French primary school Ernest Renan in Morocco were somewhat taken aback. On Thursday March 25, their children received a peculiar science exercise.

    Ahmed Maiteeq: Is he the newcomer and future leader of Libya?

    TripoliAfter a period of failed Tunisian negotiations under the auspices of the UN and UNSMIL's Stephanie Williams, which led to discord among the participants and exacerbated relations between the Government of National Accord (GNA) and Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA), there is renewed hope in Libya for the gradual restoration of constructive dialogue through economic arrangements.

    ‘Economic terrorism’: Attacks on foreign truck drivers intensify in South Africa

    PretoriaIn South Africa, in recent weeks, dozens of trucks have been set on fire with Molotov cocktails, cargoes looted, drivers injured, killed, in a fresh wave of particularly brutal attacks. The road transport industry is "under siege", according to the South African press. Most of the assaulted drivers are foreigners.

    Libya: Bashagha’s career puts Europe at risk

    TripoliA criminal Libyan politician and his Islamist gang are getting ready to run the country and threating the West and Europe. How did that happen?

    Fathi Bashagha: An ambitious radical seeking to seize power in Libya

    France and the United States may want to support him, but the price will be a new round of escalation in the conflict.

    Radicals among the radicals – Libya’s new leadership may even be more radical, Islamist

    TunisThe UN-recognized Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) is often criticized for its links to radical political Islam.

    Is the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum an instrument of American neocolonialism?

    TunisThe Libyan Political Dialogue Forum started on November 9 in Tunisia. This forum was organized by the UN Support Mission to Libya (UNSMIL) headed by Stephanie Williams, former US chargé d'affaires in Libya.

    Farmers say horrific murder in Free State could have been prevented

    PretoriaFarmers in the Eastern Free State say the horrific murder of Brendin Horner could have been prevented if a detailed report had been considered in which the suspected members of transnational stock theft syndicates had been identified.

    Go to archive