Skip to Content

Video still of the raid. Photo supplied by Dutch police

Major terror attack thwarted in the Netherlands

Seven foreigners have been arrested for planning a major terrorist attack in the Netherlands. They had intended to strike a major public event with firearms, hand grenades, and car bombs.

Published: September 28, 2018, 8:30 am

    According to De Telegraaf, the Openbaar Ministerie, [Public Prosecution Service] confirmed the planned attack.

    Three men were from Arnhem, two from Rotterdam, one from Huissen and one from Vlaardingen. The suspects were arrested at the end of the afternoon in Arnhem and Weert. The two men in Weert were staying there in a rented holiday home.

    On Thursday, as they were stopped at their rented abode, they were arrested by the anti-terror squads. According to local media, shot(s) were fired by a special unit. On images of the arrest, there is blood on the ground. The white van, with French license plates, and two passenger cars belonging to the foreigners have been confiscated, according to weertdegekste.nl.

    The police did not want to confirm whether an agent had fired shots in Weert, but one or more suspects suffered minor injuries.

    The ages of the armed suspects are said to range from 21 to 34 years. During the arrests, for which various anti-terror units were deployed, the police found five small arms.

    “In a months-long criminal investigation, the police became aware of a group centered around the 34-year-old Hardi N of Iraqi origin from Arnhem, who was convicted in 2017 for attempting to travel to the Islamic State’s battlefield”, according to the Public Prosecution Service, which says it assumes that an attack has been prevented with the arrests.

    The immigrants had been looking for AK47s, small arms, hand grenades, bombs and raw materials for one or more [car] bombs. The OM assumes that the suspects wanted to strike at two locations at the same time: both an attack with bombs and Kalashnikov AK47s at an event as well as a car bomb.

    On Thursday a police helicopter could be spotted hovering above Arnhem, as Twitterers noticed.

    The suspects have been detained and are therefore not allowed to have contact with each other or other people — only with their lawyer. On Friday they will appear before the examining magistrate.

    In Rotterdam on Thursday evening, in two closely situated houses, raids were conducted and the homes were searched.

    The criminal investigatory team is still looking into the seven terror suspects. “We can not be concrete about it yet. It is clear that the people were looking for a big event,” says the national criminal investigator Wilbert Paulissen.

    During the Thursday’s actions, the police deployed about four hundred people, the police chief said.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Racist and xenophobic incidents in France rise by 130 percent

    In France, some 1 142 racist and xenophobic incidents were counted in 2019, suggesting an increase of 130 percent.

    Migrant smugglers use Instagram in Turkey

    The social network now makes it possible to connect smugglers and candidates for illegal immigration to Europe.

    After court decision: No place for AfD party conference

    BerlinAfter massive threats from Antifa, the Berlin AfD party conference planned for the coming weekend cannot take place. On Thursday, the Berlin district court announced its decision that the landlord of the Pankow ball room could not be forced to house the AfD despite a valid lease.

    Protests erupt in Greece over migrant saturation

    AthensMass protests against the admission of asylum seekers began on the Greek islands on Wednesday. The motto: "We want our islands back, we want our lives back."

    Nigerians terrorize Italian city

    PaduaThe Nigerian mafia has been busy in the Italian city of Padua. In less than 24 hours there were two violent episodes in the city center, and as always on via Diego Valeri.

    France: 41 percent ‘ignore’ news

    A survey carried out for a newspaper shows a growing distrust of the French towards the media.

    Gang rapes: Number of foreign suspects in Germany increasing

    BerlinThe proportion of foreign suspects in gang rapes in Germany has increased significantly in the past five years. This is despite the fact that the total number of suspects decreased between 2015 and 2017.

    Candidate recruits people of  ‘Turkish origin’ for French municipal elections

    Given the extent of the controversy, Mohamed Dine has now deleted his ad, previously posted on his Facebook page.

    Charlie Hebdo also defended pedophilia

    ParisLike part of the libertarian left at the time, the satirical newspaper supported three pedophile criminals, accused of having abused minors, before they were sentenced in 1977.

    Conservative German author’s reading cancelled in Dresden

    DresdenGerman author Uwe Tellkamp had his reading cancelled. It was not because of a lack of public interest, illness of the organiser or an important participant, or official orders for violations of the fire protection regulations. No, it had to be canceled because the author has a certain opinion.

    Go to archive