Skip to Content

Geert Wilders. Twitter
The Hague

Wilders calls for parliamentary enquiry into political meddling in his trail

PVV leader Geert Wilders has called for a parliamentary inquiry into political interference in his trial in which he is being accused of "discrimination and inciting hatred" against people with a Moroccan background.

Published: June 11, 2019, 9:14 am

    The case is extremely sensitive because it involves political involvement in the criminal prosecution of a people’s representative.

    Broadcaster RTL Nieuws and the Telegraaf daily have both reported that there had been contact between the then-justice minister Ivo Opstelten and the head of the public prosecution department about the case in 2014.

    Until Friday, the Ministry of Justice had denied that there had been consultation between the Ministry and the Public Prosecution Service. But on Friday, answers from Minister of Justice to parliamentary questions from Wilders, showed that there had indeed been a consultation.

    It was also revealed that Opstelten had been keen to see Wilders prosecuted for leading the anti-Moroccan chant at a pre-election meeting. However, current justice minister Ferd Grapperhaus is refusing to send documents detailing the meetings – which had been officially denied – to parliament.

    According to Grapperhaus, there are “no (formal) indications” of interference by Opstelten.

    The documents, prepared as briefings for the minister, will remain secret because of the confidential information they contain, the minister told MPs. The case in which Wilders’ supporters chanted “fewer Moroccans”, dates back to 2014 when the PVV leader asked a roomful of supporters if they wanted to have “more or fewer” Moroccans in the country.

    When the crowd responded to his question with “fewer, fewer”, Wilders answered: “We’ll take care of that.”

    In December 2016, Wilders was found guilty of inciting discrimination and the panel of three judges said Wilders’ comments were “demeaning and insulting to the Moroccan population”. However, the court decided not to fine or sentence Wilders on the basis that a criminal conviction was sufficient punishment in itself.

    The original appeal began in May last year but Wilders’ legal team successfully applied for the judges to be removed after proving their political bias. The appeal is due to resume later this month and both Opstelten and former prosecution chief Herman Bolhaar may be on the witness list.

    The new information could have major consequences for the prosecution of Wilders, because the Public Prosecution Service has not spoken the truth to the judges involved. It is possible that the entire lawsuit will soon implode.

    The Public Prosecution Service and the Ministry of Justice had previously maintained that the Public Prosecution Service has “independently” taken a decision to prosecute Wilders.

    In another similar development, video sharing site YouTube removed all archive material belonging to the regional archive in Alkmaar for alleged “hate-mongering”, NH Nieuws reported.

    The material YouTube objected to included images from World War II which featured the insignia of German soldiers, but other historic images of the town of Alkmaar were also removed.

    “This is censorship of official material,” said archivist Mark Alphenaar. He told NH Nieuws: “They are accusing of us op inciting hate but we are an official institution.”

    The archive, which was removed on national archive day, was 10 years in the making and includes “often unique” images of wartime Alkmaar. The archive’s YouTube channel is used by schools for educational purposes.

    All the material is backed up on the archive’s own server. It is not the first time the archive has fallen foul of the YouTube policy on “hate-mongering”. An archive photograph of NSB leader Anton Mussert was removed for the same reason a year ago.

    “We wrote to YouTube and complained but we never received a reply,” Alphenaar said.

    YouTube’s new policy is aimed at rooting out conservatives, but thousands of Dutch users protested to YouTube owner Google against the ban nad the archive was back online on Monday again.

    “If videos are wrongly removed, we will take action quickly,” spokesman Mark Jansen told the broadcaster. “One of the things we look at is whether the footage has educational or news value – and this context is of great importance in determining if a video has a place on YouTube.”

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Security and privacy experts sound the alarm on contact tracing apps

    The terrorist acts of September 11, 2001 became the starting point for massive surveillance of the world's citizens, and not least in Western countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom.

    Maghreb singer accuses French police of blanket racism

    ParisFor the deputy of the National Rally in France, the speech of the singer Camélia Jordana on Saturday evening claiming she is afraid when she sees a police officer, is a typical example of the excesses of the cultural left: They prefer to defend the delinquents rather than the police.

    Provocative statements from Turkey against Greece continue

    IstanbulThe Turkish Minister of Defense, Hulusi Akar during his visit to a Turkish naval base, spoke of "harassment in the Aegean" in recent days, which he described as a "very serious challenge", adding that he could not "explain them".

    The controversy over hydroxychloroquine intensifies

    WashingtonAmerican scientists concluded in a study that chloroquine was ineffective against Covid-19. The release of the study coincided with bad news about the US drug Remdesivir.

    Deaths in Swedish nursing homes hidden by municipalities

    In the "humanitarian superpower" Sweden, the management of the Covid-19 pandemic by public health authorities has defied the most basic sense of medical ethics.

    German politician: ‘Why should we risk our relations with China?’

    BerlinDr. Maximilian Krah, member of the European Parliament for the Eurosceptic Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) and Vice Chairman of the EP China Friendship Group in an exclusive FreeWestMedia interview.

    Senior European WHO official predicts second deadly virus wave

    LondonAccording to information from a British daily, a senior European official of the WHO predicts that a second peak of the virus outbreak could coincide with outbreaks of other infectious diseases.

    Thousands demonstrate in Germany against confinement

    BerlinThousands of Germans demonstrated nationwide again this weekend against Corona confinement requirements. Citizens who are afraid for their jobs, rallied alongside extremists and opponents of vaccination.

    Covid-19 information ‘better on YouTube than in traditional media’

    MarseilleThe world-renowned French virologist from Marseille, Prof Didier Raoult, believes that he is being identified as a "fake news" propagator because he discloses information buried by the mainstream media.

    French pharmaceutical giant to give vaccine priority to… Americans

    ParisWhile the French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi has pleaded for a cooperation agreement with an American health authority, many voices were raised to condemn the position of the laboratory.

    Go to archive