Skip to Content

Syrian Arab Army troops. Facebook

Syria advances in deep battle for Idlib

French President Emmanuel Macron has urged President Vladimir Putin, to call a "vital" ceasefire in northwest Syria, where a Syrian a military offensive against militants have been gaining momentum.

Published: August 23, 2019, 5:40 am

    Syrian President Bashar al-Assad have driven out militants from the town of Khan Sheikhoun that has been under their control since 2014. The fall marks a victory for Syria’s efforts to clean up Idlib, the last opposition-held province in the country.

    Militants of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a jihadist group linked to al-Qaeda, confirmed that they were retreating. President Assad has hailed the progress. “The victories that were achieved prove the determination of the people and the army to defeat terrorists until the liberation of the last inch of Syrian territory,” he said.

    He also accused Turkey and Western states of supporting jihadist groups in Syria, according to a report from Al Jazeera. The fall of Khan Sheikhoun means that a Turkish military outpost is now effectively surrounded by Syrian forces.

    After a slow offensive to regain Idlib in April, Syrian troops have now advanced more rapidly with Russian air support. President Macron, who on Monday hosted Putin at his summer residence, has expressed “profound worry” about the advances of Assad’s troops in northwest Syria.

    “The population in Idlib is living under bombs, children are being killed,” Macron said. “It’s vital that the ceasefire agreed in Sochi is put into practice,” he said.

    The Sochi agreement was signed in September last year between Russia and Turkey, outlining a truce to avert an expected Syrian army offensive. But Putin said Russia would be backing the Syrian army’s operations in Idlib.

    “We support the efforts of the Syrian army … to end these terrorist threats” in Idlib, Putin told the French president. “We never said that in Idlib terrorists would feel comfortable,” he added.

    The Russian President pointed out that “50 percent of the territory was controlled by terrorists,” before the Sochi ceasefire, “now it’s 90 percent … this is why we, of course, support the efforts of the Syrian army that aim to end this terrorist threat”.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Salvini condemns Italian PMs slow response to Coronavirus crisis

    RomeThe leader of the League held a press conference to take stock of the Coronavirus crisis: "The problem is not with the red zones but with the whole territory." Italy now has three times the number of infected cases compared to Hong Kong.

    What is known about the Italian Coronavirus deaths so far

    The focal point on which Italian citizens should focus does not concern so much the danger of the Coronavirus which, as ascertained, causes death only in rare cases, but its management. The special measures taken in Lombardy were adopted not so much because Covid-19 represents the plague of the 21st century, but rather to limit its spread.

    Coronavirus: Italian train blocked at Austria’s Brenner Pass

    Austria has stopped a Venice-Monaco Eurocity train with 300 passengers on board, after the explosion of the number of Coronavirus infections in Italy.

    Economic fall-out from Coronavirus may be huge

    SeoulThe economic damage that the Coronavirus epidemic could wreak globally, was confirmed when the United States raised its travel advisory for industrial giant South Korea.

    Le Pen calls on Macron to denounce Soros’ ‘undemocratic manipulations’

    ParisThe president of the National Rally, Marine Le Pen, responded after the shocking revelations by a French weekly magazine on how the European Court of Human Rights has been infiltrated by organisations answering to the American "philanthropist" George Soros.

    Judiciary in a hurry to move against Salvini

    It appears that the Italian judiciary is in a hurry to move against former Interior Minister Matteo Salvini. The offices of the investigating magistrate of Catania have already received the official request of the prosecutor to set a preliminary hearing in the context of the proceeding against the Salvini "kidnapping" case.

    The grip of Soros on the ECHR revealed by French weekly

    ParisIn its latest issue, a French weekly revealed the extent of the influence of Georges Soros, the Hungarian billionaire at the head of the NGO network Open Society Foundations, on the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

    European Commissioner of the Interior defends asylum after ECHR ruling

    BrusselsThe European Commissioner of the Interior defended the right of migrants to ask for asylum, and even though this right “cannot be offered at each meter of the border” it should be, she argued.

    Orban: ‘It’s forbidden to say so in Europe, but migration is an organised invasion’

    Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Thursday warned of a rise in the number of organised groups of migrants attempting to enter the country as summer approaches as migration pressure increases on the country's southern border.

    More than 120 daily stabbing attacks in France

    ParisIn total, between 2015 and 2017, some 44 000 people were victims of a stabbing attack in France.

    Go to archive