Skip to Content

Stock photo from Pexels

German pools: ‘Daily attacks, insults, death threats’

A lifeguard of the Düsseldorf Rheinbad has reported on daily attacks, insults and death threats at the recreational facility.

Published: August 24, 2019, 10:36 am

    Düsseldorf

    “You often experience insults, threatening rape of your mother,” said swimming champion Vladimir Chetverik during a panel discussion in Düsseldorf, the Bild newspaper reported.

    Chetverik is regularly threatened with words like, “I’ll kill you” or “I’ll set you on fire”.

    In the Rheinbad, which had to be cleared several times in the past weeks due to migrant violence, there has been no problem with too many people. Rather, the problem is that there are “too many of the groups that cause us problems” present. Bans have not benefitted the clientele, Chetverik pointed out. “They climb over the fence or are simply not stopped at the cash register.”

    During the discussion under the title “Value Dialogue”, a visitor to the outdoor pool, Knut Wesselmann, also had a say. The man was described by Deutschlandfunk as an older man in the second half of his life who had reported an incident in the pool, which he experienced as an eyewitness.

    “I saw it, I was ten meters away when a group of 60 to 70 Black Africans ran here and finally the altercation,” Wesselmann said. For him this had been a threatening situation. His wife then said to him: “Let’s leave the Rheinbad immediately, because it is starting here now.”

    Since June, there were repeated riots in the outdoor pool. The perpetrators were overwhelmingly foreigners. The pool had to be cleared several times. The city of Düsseldorf has imposed an identity card in an effort to stop the attacks at their pools.

    The personal experience of the lifeguard and the pool visitors are completely contrary to a report by the ARD magazine Monitor. In this mainstream report, the head of the magazine, Georg Restle denied that the attacks were from migrants. It was rather a “youth” issue, a visitor is quoted as saying. A connection with migrants allegedly “could not be established”.

    Düsseldorf Mayor Thomas Geisel (SPD) emphasized in the broadcast that the incidents had nothing to do with organised crime. Rather, these riots were “lively pool activities”, which now serves in cooking up an “unappetizing German national soup”.

    The German Association of Journalists (DJV) has meanwhile rejected the proposal of the Integration Minister of North Rhine-Westphalia, Joachim Stamp (FDP), to always mention the origin of offenders. The association believes that the mention of the ethnic origin of criminal suspects and offenders in the media remain the exception and should not become the rule, said the DJV.

    “Nobody who sees hate and prejudices as essential elements of the social discussion would thus be discriminated against – on the contrary,” warned DJV President Frank Überall. In addition, it is absurd to announce the ethnic origin of offenders in any case. “Should we report to journalists in the future that a Bavarian was caught in the shoplifting and a man from Hesse has caused a serious traffic accident in a drunken state? Who really wants to know that?”

    It should be noted that the mention of the origin could is also a “prejudice against minorities,” he added.

    Joachim Stamp had previously suggested naming the origin of perpetrators. Otherwise, Internet users would start speculating in the comment sections about a possible migration background of the offender, Stamp said. He explained his reasoning to the regional daily, the Rheinische Post. However, he did not want to make any specifications. The question of when the origin is cited, should be regulated by the press code, he clarified.

    Only two years ago, the German Press Council had changed its provisions. Instead of a “justifiable non-material reference”, a “justified public interest” now serves as a guideline for the nomination. The new guideline protects people from being “publicly arrested for the misconduct of individual members of their group”.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • Kenneth Masters

      Poliite? How about this: Kill them all. Happy now?

    • Nexusfast123

      Culturally inept and many with sub normal intelligence. Will never integrate.

    Europe

    Salvini condemns Italian PMs slow response to Coronavirus crisis

    RomeThe leader of the League held a press conference to take stock of the Coronavirus crisis: "The problem is not with the red zones but with the whole territory." Italy now has three times the number of infected cases compared to Hong Kong.

    What is known about the Italian Coronavirus deaths so far

    The focal point on which Italian citizens should focus does not concern so much the danger of the Coronavirus which, as ascertained, causes death only in rare cases, but its management. The special measures taken in Lombardy were adopted not so much because Covid-19 represents the plague of the 21st century, but rather to limit its spread.

    Coronavirus: Italian train blocked at Austria’s Brenner Pass

    Austria has stopped a Venice-Monaco Eurocity train with 300 passengers on board, after the explosion of the number of Coronavirus infections in Italy.

    Economic fall-out from Coronavirus may be huge

    SeoulThe economic damage that the Coronavirus epidemic could wreak globally, was confirmed when the United States raised its travel advisory for industrial giant South Korea.

    Le Pen calls on Macron to denounce Soros’ ‘undemocratic manipulations’

    ParisThe president of the National Rally, Marine Le Pen, responded after the shocking revelations by a French weekly magazine on how the European Court of Human Rights has been infiltrated by organisations answering to the American "philanthropist" George Soros.

    Judiciary in a hurry to move against Salvini

    It appears that the Italian judiciary is in a hurry to move against former Interior Minister Matteo Salvini. The offices of the investigating magistrate of Catania have already received the official request of the prosecutor to set a preliminary hearing in the context of the proceeding against the Salvini "kidnapping" case.

    The grip of Soros on the ECHR revealed by French weekly

    ParisIn its latest issue, a French weekly revealed the extent of the influence of Georges Soros, the Hungarian billionaire at the head of the NGO network Open Society Foundations, on the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

    European Commissioner of the Interior defends asylum after ECHR ruling

    BrusselsThe European Commissioner of the Interior defended the right of migrants to ask for asylum, and even though this right “cannot be offered at each meter of the border” it should be, she argued.

    Orban: ‘It’s forbidden to say so in Europe, but migration is an organised invasion’

    Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Thursday warned of a rise in the number of organised groups of migrants attempting to enter the country as summer approaches as migration pressure increases on the country's southern border.

    More than 120 daily stabbing attacks in France

    ParisIn total, between 2015 and 2017, some 44 000 people were victims of a stabbing attack in France.

    Go to archive