Skip to Content

Martin Sellner; Brittany Pettibone. Screenshot from YouTube

YouTube restores Identitarian channel after appeal

Austrian Identitarian Martin Sellner this week experienced somewhat of an emotional roller coaster ride. The newlywed boss of the Austrian Identity Movement had to kiss goodbye his honeymoon in Venice.

Published: September 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

    As soon as he arrived with his wife Brittany Pettibone in Italy, they received the message that Sellner’s German-speaking YouTube channel was deleted. He had allegedly “repeatedly violated the anti-hate speech rules of the company” according to a screenshot Sellner published on his website.

    It was the usual disingenuous justification of the monopolistic video platform. Instead of finally being able to fully devote himself to his wife, Sellner had to take legal action against YouTube’s latest arbitrariness.

    His opponents were meanwhile delivering the shrill justification for the action of tech giant, screaming that censorship was completely and utterly welcome when one does not agree with an idea.

    It remains astonishing how all those who otherwise want to impose their own ideology on private companies by means of quotas, language rules and anti-discrimination laws, suddenly insisted on the absolute right of this particular private enterprise.

    The joy and the newly discovered love for the free market of left-wing opinion was short-lived. Even the exhilaration of amateur thinkers, who think of themselves as experts on Internet law, were perplexed when, already the next day, the channel of the Austrian migration critic was unbanned.

    After less than 48 hours, Sellner’s YouTube channel was back online with over 100 000 subscribers. By unlocking Sellner’s account on Thursday morning, YouTube avoided a legal dispute.

    Right Wing Watch reported on Monday that YouTube had also removed at least four YouTube channels that produced “white nationalist and racist” content from its platform, including channels used by The Right Stuff, American Identity Movement (formerly Identity Evropa), VDARE, and James Allsup. On Tuesday night, VDARE tweeted that its YouTube channel had been reinstated.

    Boing Boing reported that YouTube reinstated “The Iconoclast” as well as a channel used by Sellner, and that YouTube told reporters it made the “wrong call” when it decided to remove those channels. It said that while many people found the channels “deeply offensive”, they had not broken its rules.

    The Iconoclast has more than 200 000 subscribers on YouTube. In an interview with Defend Europa last year, the YouTuber spoke extensively about “ethnic replacement.” He describes himself as a “British nationalist” who is “anti-mass migration”.

    The decision comes a few days after YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki posted her quarterly letter to YouTube creators, which talked about how the company sometimes would leave up “controversial or even offensive” videos.

    Tech giants have shown themselves to be particularly susceptible to organised pressure campaigns organised by leftists.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Salvini condemns Italian PMs slow response to Coronavirus crisis

    RomeThe leader of the League held a press conference to take stock of the Coronavirus crisis: "The problem is not with the red zones but with the whole territory." Italy now has three times the number of infected cases compared to Hong Kong.

    What is known about the Italian Coronavirus deaths so far

    The focal point on which Italian citizens should focus does not concern so much the danger of the Coronavirus which, as ascertained, causes death only in rare cases, but its management. The special measures taken in Lombardy were adopted not so much because Covid-19 represents the plague of the 21st century, but rather to limit its spread.

    Coronavirus: Italian train blocked at Austria’s Brenner Pass

    Austria has stopped a Venice-Monaco Eurocity train with 300 passengers on board, after the explosion of the number of Coronavirus infections in Italy.

    Economic fall-out from Coronavirus may be huge

    SeoulThe economic damage that the Coronavirus epidemic could wreak globally, was confirmed when the United States raised its travel advisory for industrial giant South Korea.

    Le Pen calls on Macron to denounce Soros’ ‘undemocratic manipulations’

    ParisThe president of the National Rally, Marine Le Pen, responded after the shocking revelations by a French weekly magazine on how the European Court of Human Rights has been infiltrated by organisations answering to the American "philanthropist" George Soros.

    Judiciary in a hurry to move against Salvini

    It appears that the Italian judiciary is in a hurry to move against former Interior Minister Matteo Salvini. The offices of the investigating magistrate of Catania have already received the official request of the prosecutor to set a preliminary hearing in the context of the proceeding against the Salvini "kidnapping" case.

    The grip of Soros on the ECHR revealed by French weekly

    ParisIn its latest issue, a French weekly revealed the extent of the influence of Georges Soros, the Hungarian billionaire at the head of the NGO network Open Society Foundations, on the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

    European Commissioner of the Interior defends asylum after ECHR ruling

    BrusselsThe European Commissioner of the Interior defended the right of migrants to ask for asylum, and even though this right “cannot be offered at each meter of the border” it should be, she argued.

    Orban: ‘It’s forbidden to say so in Europe, but migration is an organised invasion’

    Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Thursday warned of a rise in the number of organised groups of migrants attempting to enter the country as summer approaches as migration pressure increases on the country's southern border.

    More than 120 daily stabbing attacks in France

    ParisIn total, between 2015 and 2017, some 44 000 people were victims of a stabbing attack in France.

    Go to archive