Skip to Content

Screenshot from VICE report on cannibalism in Liberia

Liberian suspected of crimes against humanity released by mistake

The African allegedly committed war crimes in Liberia in the 1990s, but a procedural error by the Paris Chamber of Education was the cause of the release of Kunti K, 44 years old.

Published: September 8, 2019, 12:32 pm

    Paris

    According to Le Parisien, he was arrested in September 2018, because he was reportedly responsible for acts of torture and cannibalism in Liberia in the 1990s.

    Suspected of crimes against humanity, the former African war colonel nicknamed Kunti was released on Friday, September 6, from the prison of Fresnes (Val-de-Marne) following a procedural error in the file, revealed Le Parisien.

    Indeed, “the lawyer of Colonel K. has submitted an application for release of his client, because the investigating judge had not responded to his application for a license to communicate with his client, a Parisian a source close to the case said. Such an error automatically results in the release of the indicted.

    On Thursday, September 5, the investigating chamber of the Paris Court of Appeal released the 44-year-old African. He is believed to have been involved in abuses during Liberia’s civil war between 1992 and 1997. This former commander of ULIMO, an electrician, had fled to the Netherlands after the conflict. He obtained the nationality before moving to France to bring a Liberian wife to the country, Le Parisien reported.

    The Liberian was arrested on Tuesday, September 4, 2018, by the gendarmes of the l’Office de lutte contre les crimes contre l’humanité. On the basis of a report submitted to justice by the Swiss association Civitas Maxima – an association claiming to be spokesperson for victims of war crimes against humanity, he had been indicted for “crimes against humanity, acts of torture and cannibalism, use of child soldiers and slavery”. He has deied the charges, but was placed under judicial control with a ban on leaving France.

    The Switzerland-based human rights group works in collaboration with the Liberia-based Global Justice and Research Project (GPRS).

    “What is very important for this case is how it includes in a broader situation former war commanders or people that allegedly committed war crimes all over the world and how they are facing criminal charges. This is one more,” said Romain Wavre, legal associate with Civitas Maxima.

    An AFP report quoted French law enforcement authorities as saying Kunti had been charged with these crimes committed particularly against civilian victims. Liberia’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) documented that ULIMO committed at least 11 500 atrocities.

    “In Liberia, people are hopeful that the high-ranking commanders, the people who committed the most horrific crimes, will be held accountable. Kunti K.’s arrest and the previous arrests shows that justice for crimes committed during the civil wars can be achieved.”

    Canadian journalist Shane Smith had traveled to Liberia in 2010 to interview warlords in a country where a large percentage of the population have eaten human flesh.

    One general, infamous for fighting completely naked apart from shoes and a gun, Joshua Milton Blahyl, spoke openly about his atrocious war crimes. He noted casually that before battle, he would sacrifice an innocent child to drink the child’s blood in preparation for battle.

    Blahyl slaughtered countless people during the war, and yet his war crime charges were dropped. Smith described the country as a “post-apocalyptic Armageddon with child soldiers on heroin, cross-dressing cannibals, and systematic rape—total hell on earth”.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Will universalist republican slogans be enough to save France?

    ParisAfter the deadly knife attack in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, the French are particularly worried about a terrorist risk. So-called "progressives" have contributed to this situation, the Minister of National Education stressed. But Emmanuel Macron is guilty too.

    Knife murder in Dresden was Islamic terror attack – Syrian jihadist arrested

    DresdenTwo deaths, two knife attacks, one in Dresden, the other in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine. And while the decent people in France publicly express their solidarity in the hundreds of thousands for the history teacher Samuel Paty, who was beheaded by an Islamic terrorist, the analogous terror murder of a German in Dresden is only worth a marginal note in the "quality media".

    French teacher suspended in 2015 already for having shown caricatures of prophet

    Muslim parents at the majority immigrant "priority college" François Villon in Mulhouse in 2015 described the attitude of a teacher as "aggressive" because he had lectured his students on free speech. He was suspended for four months to “straighten things out” according to the rector.

    Death of Victorine riles France – suspect took part in tribute march

    GrenobleMore than two weeks after the discovery of the body of Victorine Dartois, the prosecutor of Grenoble announced the arrest of an individual on Wednesday, October 14, who has admitted having killed the young student of 18 years, according to several media outlets.

    China overtakes US to become EU’s biggest trading partner

    BrusselsEurostat announced that imports from China increased by 4,9 percent year-on-year in the January-July period, surpassing the United States. China is currently the biggest trading partner of the European Union (EU).

    Former German mainstream journalist feels ‘liberated to work for free media’

    BerlinOn Saturday, at the invitation of the AfD, the Second Free Media Conference took place in the Marie-Elisabeth-Lüders-Haus of the German Bundestag. The former mainstream journalist Matthias Matussek (who has written for Spiegel, Welt and Stern) gave a lecture there on the topic of "Critics on the sidelines - the 'quality media' are losing their bright minds".

    Vlaams Belang topping the polls in Flanders: ‘Belgians no longer feel at home’

    BrusselsVlaams Belang, the Flemish anti-immigration party, remains at the top of the polls in Flanders. How does one explain the incredible success of Tom Van Grieken's party?

    Alexey Navalny – a victim of intoxication or a master of political posturing?

    BerlinThe so called “Navalny case” is coming thick and fast and is looking more and more like a smartly prearranged and well-played spectacle. The Russian opposition figure and journalist Alexey Navalny has awoken from his coma at the German Charité hospital - he seems to be back in shape giving interviews, including a two-and-a-half-hour conversation with a famous Russian You-tube blogger Yuriy Dud.

    BLM supporter Procter & Gamble champions double standards

    Procter & Gamble (P&G) is building a new production facility in the Turkish industrial city of Gebze for 80 million US dollars. The American multinational consumer goods corporation headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, has elevated double standards to a new art.

    International students quit: ‘This isn’t Sweden’

    BörlangeInternational students at the Dalarna University in Borlänge do not want to live in the student residence which is offered to them in the immigrant suburb Tjärna Ängar, also known as “Little Mogadishu”. That is what a representative for Dalarna’s student union wrote in a letter to the university’s board.

    Go to archive