Skip to Content

Premier Guiseppe Conte with President Sergio Mattarella at the Quirinal Palace. Wikipedia
Rome

Italy’s new government green-lights NGO landings

The new direction of the Italian Conte II Cabinet regarding migrants has been outlined, and it is a different route, if not the opposite, to the one taken in the last 14 months by Matteo Salvini.

Published: September 10, 2019, 10:06 am

    With the arrival of Luciana Lamorgese at the head of the Interior Ministry, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, the Democratic Party and the M5S are preparing to dismantle what has been done by the leader of the League.

    The first objective, noted Italian daily Corriere , is to overcome the Dublin treaty, but above all the desire to “distance oneself from the management of the Brussels attack wanted by Matteo Salvini”.

    At the EU Commission, where Paolo Gentiloni will play an important role, the new government, according to the Via Solferino newspaper, will be preparing to “accept the disembarkation of NGO ships and military vessels involved in aid in the Mediterranean, with the guarantee that at least some foreigners will immediately find hospitality in other EU states”.

    This plan is known as the “Triton model” suggesting the “shared management of maritime border control”.

    All migrants picked up at sea will be brought to Italy, given that the agreement provides that “all naval units participating in the operation and operating under the command of Rome are authorized by Italy to land on its territory, in safe conditions, and the people intercepted and saved”.

    In exchange the Interior Ministry, together with the Foreign Ministry of Luigi Di Maio, could ask the EU to fix quotas for the redistribution of migrants. However, several countries have always responded negatively to the idea of ​​mandatory quotas. The government will then have to be content with the simple “willingness of other states to welcome migrants when they are on board ships”, as has happened in the past.

    With Salvini in government and the blocking of ships, this supposed “willingness” was exposed as a great barrier.

    On the readmission of illegal migrants, the goal of the government would be to ensure by means of a “delegation to the European Commission a broader agreement involving international structures such as the IOM and UNHCR, just to reiterate the need for a shared strategy that does not single out our country as being ‘the only gateway to Europe'”.

    Finally, the new government will also work on revising the Security Decree, in particular, the fines against the human-trafficking NGOs given the “obligation to provide assistance to those who find themselves in difficulty envisaged by international conventions”.

    League leader Salvini on Monday blasted the new government as Conte addressed the Lower House ahead of two confidence votes in parliament.

    Salvini told a demonstration in front of the Lower House that the “piece of Italy” protesting against the new government represented the “majority in the country asking for a vote”. He said: “Today the division between the closed palace and the Italy in the street” is “evident”.

    The former minister said he sent greetings to the “poltronari”, referring to politicians he accused of clinging on to their posts, adding that “we continue to ask honor and dignity”, addressing demonstrators.

    Salvini pulled the plug on Conte’s first government last month, prompting his former partners in the 5-Star Movement (M5S) to agree a pact with the Democratic Party (PD) to form a new executive. The League chief wants early elections.

    The Facebook and Instagram accounts of pro-Italian sovereignist groups CasaPound and Forza Nuova (FN) were meanwhile blocked on Monday. The official profiles of the movements are no longer accessible, as well as those of many national, local and provincial chiefs including candidates elected in many Italian cities.

    “This is an unprecedented attack. We are disgusted,” said CasaPound President Gianluca Iannone. “It is a situation that reflects the current situation of the government of (clinging to) posts.

    “We will file an urgent class action law suit against an act of disgraceful prevarication”. A Facebook spokesman told ANSA that “persons or organisations that spread hatred or attack others on the basis of who they are will not have a place on Facebook and Instagram”.

    He said “the accounts which we removed today violate this policy and will not be able to be present on Facebook or Instagram”. It is not the first time that Facebook has taken such action against CasaPound.

    In April, shortly before the European elections, the profiles of some CasaPound exponents were blocked for the same reasons. Both Casapound and FN accused the two social media platforms of “quashing freedom of thought”.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • Jac

      Oh no! I hope Salvini can get back to power soon.

    • LuciusAnnaeusSeneca

      Salvini’s measures against mass migration and migrant crime have been welcomed by the Italian public. M5S knows that its own social and economic reforms cannot be sustained if the new coalition government lets in new waves of freeloading illegals. However, its coalition partner, the PD, is dead-set against any restrictions on migration. It will ruin Italy in order to rule over the ruins. The fear a lot of Italians have at present is that the Conte government will dismantle Salvini’s reforms bit by bit, so as to not arouse the anger of the public, or cause too much risk ofupsetting the governing coalition. This may be just the first step.

    • Alan Ned Sabrosky

      Just what Italy and the rest of Europe (as well as the US) need: more illiterate, indigent migrants. Future historians – doubtless writing in Chinese – will shake their heads at the suicide of the West, while acknowledging that it smoothed China’s path to paramountcy.

    Europe

    Hundreds of Scandinavian women report menstrual disorders after vaccination

    According to researcher Ali Harandi of the University of Gothenburg, vaccines affect periods. Hundreds of Scandinavian women have reported menstrual disorders after being vaccinated against Covid-19.

    German chief pathologist sounds alarm on fatal vaccine injuries

    HeidelbergThe director of the Pathological Institute of the University of Heidelberg, Peter Schirmacher, has carried out over forty autopsies on people who had died within two weeks of their vaccination. Schirmacher expressed alarm over his findings.

    France: Significant rise in number of protesters against health pass

    ParisOpposition against the health pass in France has increased significantly. According to figures from the Ministry of the Interior, 204 090 demonstrators, including about 14 250 in Paris, marched in the country against mandatory jabs. In total, 184 marches against President Macron's draconian measures were identified.

    Italian deputies disrupt parliament over health pass measures

    RomeItalian deputies from the Brothers of Italy party protested against the health pass measure on July 29 by derailing a session in parliament.

    Recipients of placebo jabs to have same privileges as the fully vaxxed, UK minister says

    LondonThe British Vaccine Deployment Minister Nadhim Zahawi stretched the incredulity of his subjects once again by announcing that people who have received placebo jabs would be regarded as "fully vaccinated". According to Zahawi, fake shots would be considered proof of vaccination status.

    Second French hospital calls unlimited strike against forced vax

    LyonThe SUD Santé Social union of the Édouard-Herriot hospital in Lyon filed a strike notice in order to oppose the compulsory vaccination of caregivers and the exclusion of unvaccinated patients. It will begin on July 29, for an unlimited period.

    Spain’s new National Security Law ‘tailor-made for government to act without democratic control’

    MadridSpanish legal experts consider it a scandal that the Sánchez government "does not want to submit to parliamentary control" with the new National Security Law.

    How safe are jabs if vaccinated still get infected and transmit Covid-19?

    The aggressive promotion of Covid vaccine passports and draconian vaccine mandates by globalists are not going as smoothly as they had hoped. Vaccinated people can still get infected and transmit disease, so this clearly eliminates the argument that the unvaccinated bring harm to others. And how safe are the jabs?

    German double standards: No ban, no masks, no distance at Berlin’s gay parade

    BerlinGerman critics of the Corona measures are now almost routinely denied the basic right to gather peacefully in the open air. Anyone who wants to hold a counter-demonstration against such rallies can also expect it to be approved.

    The herd immunity through vaccination experiment has failed

    The single most important objective of mass vaccination with Covid-19 vaccines was to achieve herd immunity. This is no longer within reach. Now "experts" not only blame disappointing vaccine coverage rates but also the unvaccinated.

    Go to archive