Skip to Content

Stock photo from Pexels

RN backpedals on decision to ban leftwing journo after outcry

The National Rally's refusal to give accreditation to a journalist from a leftwing rag in France elicited so much anger from the profession that the RN was eventually forced to reconsider its decision.

Published: September 15, 2019, 10:04 am

    The issue of freedom of the press has been a hot topic in recent months in France. In the latest episode, the National Gathering (RN) withdrew – before changing its mind on September 14 – its accreditation to a Libération journalist to cover their summer university in Fréjus (Var).

    According to the journalist in question, Tristan Berteloot, the RN had withdrawn his accreditation because of his article on the mayor of Fréjus, also a member of the executive board of the RN, titled: “David Rachline, the little matter of the big bootlicker”.

    The RN’s press service told AFP in a terse comment to “read the article” to understand why the decision had been taken.

    But, as had already been the case in the second round of the presidential election in 2017, when the RN made a similar decision, the party faced an outcry from the profession, with several journalists hastening to denounce the “serious attack on the freedom of the press” on Twitter.

    “The RN as the FN continues to have a problem with the freedom of the press,” said Paul Quinio, the deputy director of the editorial staff of Libération. Faced with the obvious solidarity of the profession, the press service of the RN finally announced that it would be reconsidering the decision, and would allow Tristan Berteloot to cover their summer university.

    French journalists were quick to defend their colleague, but there was no outcry when La République en marche (LREM) and then the Elysée refused to accredit the journalists of RT France. Such violations of press freedom from the presidential party, from the executive itself, are not less serious.

    The list of examples started two years ago, during the presidential campaign of 2017, when En Marche! accused RT of broadcasting “fake news”, without providing any evidence of these serious allegations.

    A few days later, and despite multiple requests for accreditation that remained unanswered, RT’s journalists were unable to go to candidate Macron’s headquarters to cover the election night of the second round.

    After the election of Emmanuel Macron, the RT France journalists suffered similar refusals, without obtaining a clear explanation justifying this treatment. In May 2018, for example, a RT France journalist was denied access to the Elysée Palace by a gendarme, on the express instructions of the presidency and despite the presentation of his press card. And there seems to be no change of heart on the horizon, after the refusal to let RT journalists cover the electoral evening of European Renaissance HQ on May 26.

    Even if these actions do not outrage media colleagues, they place the executive in a difficult situation. While visiting Russia on September 9, Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian had quite a hard time explaining the shackles placed on RT France by the government.

    “I think that RT’s journalists work in France in complete freedom, they do not have access to a certain number of places because of a vision of the Audiovisual Council [CSA] which cited certain failings [of RT France] to information,” he said, hiding behind a notice from the French regulatory authority for audio-visual, from June 28, 2018.

    In addition to the fact that the latter concerned only a purely technical error, or that the formal notices of the CSA towards other media have never impacted the work of their journalists, Jean-Yves Le Drian forgot that refusals of accreditation for RT France preceded this notice.

    RT France’s journalists have a press card and, whatever the government says, are journalists who only want to practice their profession, even if colleagues pretend not to notice that.

    Consider donating to support our work

    Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Instability in Northern Africa: AFRICOM brigades, Russian planes and Syrian jihadists

    TripoliOn May 30, the US Africa Command (AFRICOM) released a statement in which its commander, Stephen Townsend, expressed to Tunisian Defence Minister Imed Hazgui readiness to deploy the US Security Force Assistance Brigades in Tunisia, citing concerns about Russian activities in Libya.

    Security and privacy experts sound the alarm on contact tracing apps

    The terrorist acts of September 11, 2001 became the starting point for massive surveillance of the world's citizens, and not least in Western countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom.

    Maghreb singer accuses French police of blanket racism

    ParisFor the deputy of the National Rally in France, the speech of the singer Camélia Jordana on Saturday evening claiming she is afraid when she sees a police officer, is a typical example of the excesses of the cultural left: They prefer to defend the delinquents rather than the police.

    Provocative statements from Turkey against Greece continue

    IstanbulThe Turkish Minister of Defense, Hulusi Akar during his visit to a Turkish naval base, spoke of "harassment in the Aegean" in recent days, which he described as a "very serious challenge", adding that he could not "explain them".

    The controversy over hydroxychloroquine intensifies

    WashingtonAmerican scientists concluded in a study that chloroquine was ineffective against Covid-19. The release of the study coincided with bad news about the US drug Remdesivir.

    Deaths in Swedish nursing homes hidden by municipalities

    In the "humanitarian superpower" Sweden, the management of the Covid-19 pandemic by public health authorities has defied the most basic sense of medical ethics.

    German politician: ‘Why should we risk our relations with China?’

    BerlinDr. Maximilian Krah, member of the European Parliament for the Eurosceptic Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) and Vice Chairman of the EP China Friendship Group in an exclusive FreeWestMedia interview.

    Senior European WHO official predicts second deadly virus wave

    LondonAccording to information from a British daily, a senior European official of the WHO predicts that a second peak of the virus outbreak could coincide with outbreaks of other infectious diseases.

    Thousands demonstrate in Germany against confinement

    BerlinThousands of Germans demonstrated nationwide again this weekend against Corona confinement requirements. Citizens who are afraid for their jobs, rallied alongside extremists and opponents of vaccination.

    Covid-19 information ‘better on YouTube than in traditional media’

    MarseilleThe world-renowned French virologist from Marseille, Prof Didier Raoult, believes that he is being identified as a "fake news" propagator because he discloses information buried by the mainstream media.

    Go to archive