New Zealand knew about the risk but released knife attacker
Authorities in New Zealand claim they had exhausted all avenues to detain the 32-year-old Sri Lankan who attacked seven people with a knife on Friday in Auckland. The Prime Minister knew about the risk.
Published: September 5, 2021, 10:35 am
The man responsible for a knife attack in a supermarket in New Zealand had been watched for five years and jailed for three years before authorities allegedly could not think of a reason to keep him in prison. They had exhausted all avenues to keep him in detention, the prime minister said on Saturday.
Jacinda Ardern confirmed that the attacker had been inspired by ISIS, but was released in July and has been under police surveillance since.
On Friday, the 32-year-old Sri Lankan took a knife from an Auckland supermarket and attacked seven people, three of whom were seriously injured, before being shot dead by armed police tasked with following him. A court order prevented Jacinda Ardern from explaining why the terrorist was not deported. She maintained that measures were already in place to strengthen New Zealand’s crackdown on terrorism.
Although the jihadist had been found guilty of various charges, he had already spent three years in prison in pre-trial detention and “all possibilities of continuing his detention had been exhausted,” declared Ardern. She added that “risk mitigation” steps had been taken, but after the vicous attack, her assurances sounded rather empty.
Ardern said that changes to New Zealand’s counterterrorism legislation were expected to be approved by Parliament before the end of the month.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Consider donating to support our work
Help us to produce more articles like this. FreeWestMedia is depending on donations from our readers to keep going. With your help, we expose the mainstream fake news agenda.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
No more articles.
There are no more articles in this category.