Skip to Content

Only 18 convictions in Cologne mass sex attacks a year later

The lack of follow-through by German authorities a year later after the Cologne mass sex attacks, is disturbing.

Published: December 31, 2016, 9:03 am

    The mass sex attacks in the centre of the German city Cologne on New Year’s Eve 2015, not only shocked the world, but the cover-up and lack of follow-through by German authorities are equally disturbing.

    Now, a year later, after more than 1 000 criminal charges were filed, most of the chilling crimes have not been punished either. As of December, the statistics show that 1 222 criminal charges have been investigated by the authorities, of which some 513 were directly related to sexual assault, Breitbart reported, with very few convictions.

    The total number of final convictions for the over one thousand attacks stands at just 18. Out of the 18 convictions, only five sexual assaults have led to pronouncements of guilt. On top of that, one of those five migrants convicted for sex assaults was given a suspended sentence and laughed in court while the judge was sentencing him.

    A police spokesman however told The Telegraph that at least three quarters of the complaints had a sexual component.

    To break down the figures: A total of 1 310 individuals had been victims of crime on that night in Cologne. Among them, 662 said they were sexually attacked and 28 said they were raped, according to Breitbart London.

    Following investigations, police have managed to identify 333 suspects and of those 87 are said to have committed sexual offences, but have have only been able to track down 35 migrants to court – of those, only 24 were found guilty of crimes.

    But because several cases are now on appeal, the total number of final convictions for the over one thousand attacks stands at just 18.

    The government had told the police to cover up the extent of the assaults and not mention that the attackers were migrants. Only six months later, authorities finally admitted the attackers came largely from the Middle East and North Africa.

    Correspondents say the identification of the attackers as North African or Arab in appearance had caused alarm in Germany because of the influx of more than a million migrants and refugees in the past year.

    Some 820 investigations are still being pursued by police but many have been shelved because the authorities “have not been able to find or identify those responsible” for the crimes they told Breitbart.

    The assaults in Cologne appeared similar to incidents that have been reported over the past two years in Duesseldorf, and on the same night in Hamburg as well as Stuttgart, where gangs identified as North African have groped women and distracted them before also stealing their belongings.

    karin@praag.org

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    Swedish mother sexually assaulted outside asylum centre – media censored her description of the attacker

    DOCUMENTARYBoth media and the police refused to publish her description of an Afghani perpetrator after Mikaela, 40, was subjected to a rape attempt outside the asylum centre in a small village called Deje. Watch the Swedish documentary about the case with English subtitles.

    After Strasburg ‘the Yellow Vests must stop’ says Minister of Justice

    StrasburgAsked about the continued demonstrations by Yellow Vests in the context of the latest Strasbourg terror attack, French Justice Minister Nicole Belloubet said the movement "must stop", because President Emmanuel Macron has provided "answers" to their demands.

    Bamberg: Arrest warrants against migrants who wanted to kill policemen

    BambergGerman police in Bamberg had to send in reinforcements to end a migrant riot in the asylum reception center of the town. In the night of Tuesday even special forces were called in to bring the situation under control.

    Belgium faces government crisis as result of UN Global Migration Compact

    BrusselsThe dispute over the UN Compact on Migration has led to the end of the coalition government in Belgium. Unfazed, Prime Minister Charles Michel plans to continue as part of a minority government and will sign the agreement.

    An anti-immigration billboard campaign hits the streets of Brussels

    BrusselsA Hungarian counter-campaign has been launched against EU migrant propaganda spearheaded by EU heavyweight Guy Verhofstad, and is spreading on social media.

    Bullying and harassment at Sweden’s new Gender Equality Agency

    Sweden is often synonymous with feminist fanaticism. The country's Gender Equality Agency was opened in January this year and is thus one of its newest agencies. However, even before the government could celebrate a year, 70 percent of the staff are at risk of ill health and more than half suffer from burnout and fatigue. It seems the agency's disastrous workplace culture is related to its staunchly feminist leadership. There is not a single man in the "equal" management group.

    Macron and his wife discuss decorations with media while country burns

    ParisBetween the first two Saturdays of massive demonstrations by the Yellow Vests, Emmanuel and Brigitte Macron were redecorating their palace. They invited guests to the new "dialogue space" from which the Yellow Vests were conspicuously absent.

    German government funds brochure attacking natural gender roles

    BerlinIn true Stasi fashion, the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs in Germany has allegedly been funding a brochure for young children encouraging them to spy on their conservative parents.

    Macron backs down on climate change fuel tax

    ParisFrench President Emmanuel Macron has called for a six-month suspension of the government's proposed "climate change" fuel tax, backing down in the face of angry Yellow Vest protests throughout France for more than three weeks.

    After failed referendum Swiss anti-immigration party fears EU takeover

    BernAfter a failed sovereignist referendum in Switzerland on the encroaching powers of Brussels, the largest party in the Swiss parliament warned that the country was now facing a "massive erosion" of their unique democracy.

    Go to archive