Skip to Content

Bocelli; DC police chief Schwartz

Opera star backs out of Trump inauguration after death threats

An international opera star has received death threats because he was on the Trump inauguration programme.

Published: January 15, 2017, 8:37 am

    Washington

    Opera star Andrea Bocelli backed out of singing at Donald Trump’s inauguration after receiving death threats, The Mail on Sunday reported.

    The news comes in the wake of black singer Jennifer Holliday’s decision to pull out of the President-elect’s celebration evening after being threatened and branded an “Uncle Tom”, a black traitor to white causes.

    Blind tenor Bocelli’s fans had said they would boycott his concerts and records if he sang at the Trump inauguration.

    But a source told the British Daily Mail that the 58-year-old had been determined to sing but had pulled out on the advice of his security team after receiving threats to his life.

    A source close to Bocelli, a friend of Trump’s, said: “Andrea is very sad to be missing the chance to sing at such a huge global event but he has been advised it is simply not worth the risk.”

    Holliday, however, issued a statement apologising to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender fans for being “uneducated” on their causes.

    “My only choice must now be to stand with the LGBT community and to state unequivocally that I will not perform for the welcome concert or for any of the inauguration festivities.”

    But The Washington Post reports, that Washington DC’s National Guard chief was fired only days before Trump’s inauguration, potentially creating a major security problem for the organisers.

    Maj. Gen. Errol R. Schwartz’s departure will come in the midst of the ceremony, classified as a national special security event. Schwartz has spent months planning DC’s security for that day.

    On the day of President-elect Trump’s inauguration protesters are planning an anti-capitalist march, road blockades and major disruptions to inauguration balls. The protests will likely include vandalism, property destruction, a source with intimate knowledge of the protest plans told The Daily Caller on Friday.

    The source added that the protesters blockading each checkpoint will represent a different liberal cause such as climate change or race issues.

    Organizers for #DisruptJ20 are planning to kick off the inauguration protests on January 18 with a gay dance party outside of Vice President-elect Mike Pence’s home.

    Schwartz, who was appointed to head the guard by President George W. Bush in 2008, said his orders came from the Pentagon but that he doesn’t know who made the decision.

    He also added that he has not been told why he was asked to step down. “I’m a soldier,” he said, noting that he was following orders. “I’m a presidential appointee, therefore the president has the power to remove me.”

    Unlike in states, where the governor appoints the US National Guard commander, that duty falls to the president in Washington DC.

    Once again this hints at the Obama administration’s desire to derail a smooth transition.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Americas

    Brazil withdraws from UN Migration Compact

    BrasiliaNew Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro announced the withdrawal from the UN Global Compact on Migration as he had promised to do earlier.

    US government shutdown could be bad for Israel

    WashingtonThe US government shutdown has continued for 18 days. Now defense contractors and lobbyists are starting to worry that it could be bad for Israel.

    US national defence hierarchy now run by women

    WashingtonThe United States' national defense hierarchy is, for the first time in history, largely run by women. According to mainstream MSNBC, women have taken over the US military-industrial complex.

    Facebook bans conservatives but fails to stop child exploitation apps

    Facebook monitors billions of posts per day in over 100 languages. The company’s solution is a network of ideologically-minded workers that ban content with the help of PowerPoint slides. That sadly does not include child porn on third-party apps.

    Columbia student defends his remarks about ‘white achievements’

    New YorkColumbia University student Julian von Abele, whose comments on Twitter about white people went viral earlier this week, released a statement on Tuesday defending himself.

    Chile pulls out of Marrakesch

    SantiagoChile has joined the growing exodus from the United Nations Migration Compact. It has become the latest country to withdraw, President's Sebastian Pinera's administration announced.

    US Government loses landmark court case on vaccine safety

    WashingtonThe US federal government has been neglecting vaccine safety obligations for decades. Anti-vaccine activists have now won an important lawsuit against the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

    ISIS cyber attacks were falsely blamed on Russia

    An Islamic State-linked media outlet says a Canadian man - not Russia - was behind the terror group’s highest-profile cyber attacks, including the takeover of the Twitter account of the US military’s Central Command.

    Media reporting rigged against Republicans, Trump

    Ahead of the 2018 midterm elections in the United States, the mainstream media were directing their campaign reporting against Republicans.

    Trump is serious about troop deployment on US-Mexican border

    The number of US troops to be deployed at the Mexico border could reach 15 000, President Trump said on Wednesday afternoon.

    Go to archive