Le Pen joins international condemnation of US attack on Syria
Leader of France's Front National's Marine Le Pen, joined the international chorus against the US attack on Syria
Published: April 9, 2017, 10:58 am
In a television interview with BFM TV, Le Pen said: “Trump was elected by announcing that the United States would no longer be the policeman of the world, would no longer interfere. The facts are appalling in Syria. It takes an international commission to conduct an independent investigation.”
Le Pen, frontrunner in the French Presidential election on an anti-EU, anti-globalist and anti-immigration ticket, also cast doubt on president Trump’s motivation for the attack on Syria. She compared Trump’s explanation to bomb Syria to the non-existent weapons of mass destruction used to justify the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.
“Marine Le Pen has dropped references to Trump on the campaign trail,” says Richard Maher, research fellow at European University Institute who studies European integration. “Trump is really unpopular in France — even among Le Pen’s own supporters,” Maher says. A poll carried out two days after Trump was elected found that 75 percent of French voters had a negative image of the new US leader. Some 47 percent of FN voters dislike Trump.
Italian Northern League leader Matteo Salvini described the assault on Syria as “a bad idea, big mistake, and a gift to ISIS” in a Facebook post. “Haven’t the disasters in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya taught them [the US administration] anything?” he asked.
Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, and current UKIP leader Paul Nuttall as well as UKIP donor Arron Banks are among Trump supporters who have been deeply disappointed by his sudden and unexpected turnaround.
Farage previously spoke at the billionaire tycoon’s mass rallies, and was the first British politician to visit Trump Tower after Hillary Clinton’s shock defeat. But on Friday, he said: “I think a lot of Trump voters will be waking up this morning and scratching their heads and saying ‘where will it all end?'” In another tweet he said: “I’m surprised. Whatever Assad’s sins, he is secular.”
UKIP’s current leader Paul Nuttall also condemned the attack.
— UKIP (@UKIP) April 7, 2017
UKIP donor Arron Banks labelled Donald Trump’s choice “stupid” and said the president should have stayed out of the Middle East.
Popular British conservative journalist Katie Hopkins also voiced her concern.
— Katie Hopkins (@KTHopkins) April 8, 2017
The only so-called pro-Trump US journalist Bill Mitchell, who praised the attack on Syria, also runs Jared Kuschner’s media campaign.
American conservative commentator Ann Coulter, who campaigned for Donald Trump, wrote: “Those who wanted us meddling in the Middle East voted for other candidates. Trump campaigned on not getting involved in Mideast. Said it always helps our enemies & creates more refugees. Then he saw a picture on TV.”
— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) April 7, 2017
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
A survey carried out for a newspaper shows a growing distrust of the French towards the media.
BerlinThe proportion of foreign suspects in gang rapes in Germany has increased significantly in the past five years. This is despite the fact that the total number of suspects decreased between 2015 and 2017.
Given the extent of the controversy, Mohamed Dine has now deleted his ad, previously posted on his Facebook page.
ParisLike part of the libertarian left at the time, the satirical newspaper supported three pedophile criminals, accused of having abused minors, before they were sentenced in 1977.
DresdenGerman author Uwe Tellkamp had his reading cancelled. It was not because of a lack of public interest, illness of the organiser or an important participant, or official orders for violations of the fire protection regulations. No, it had to be canceled because the author has a certain opinion.
ParisThe French writer Gabriel Matzneff who has been accused by the novelist Vanessa Springora of pedophilia, benefits from low-cost housing in the heart of Paris which was allocated to him in 1994. Some other sordid facts about him and his friends have resurfaced.
BerlinThe AfD intends to take legal action against the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, the domestic spy agency.
CologneSeveral editors from German public broadcaster WDR have accused director Tom Buhrow of harming the broadcaster with the so-called "environmental pig" affair. On Tuesday there will therefore be an editorial meeting in which Buhrow will also take part.
The car-burnings in France continue. There were burnt cars in Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Limoges, Nantes and other cities.
Charleville-MezieresThe terrible scene was filmed and broadcast on social networks. An police investigation has been opened. Is this violence due to the increasing influence of Salafists? One French author believes so.