Breaking: Paris kamikaze terror attack foiled
A car deliberately drove into a police van on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées in central Paris, police officials say. It burst into flames after hitting the police vehicle.
Published: June 19, 2017, 9:17 pm
Police evacuated the busy avenue where thousands of tourists were sight-seeing as the car had been laden with explosives. They warned people not to approach the area.
The white car was abandoned in the middle of the empty avenue with one door open and sniffer dogs were sent in, the BBC reported. Two of the metro stations on the Champs-Élysées were closed down.
Pierre-Henry Brandet a spokesman for Interior Ministry said the driver, who was pulled from his car by police, appeared to have died, but it could not be confirmed officially.
“Security forces have been targeted in France once again,” Interior Minister Gérard Collomb said, calling it an “attempted attack” after police found a Kalashnikov rifle, handguns and gas bottles in the car. According to the Interior Minister the incident was an “attempted terror attack”.
There were no other casualties reported. A police operation was launched on the avenue after the Renault collided a with a Gendarmerie vehicle. A bomb disposal unit was seen checking the vehicle. The attack happened close to the Elysee Palace, where Macron was due to receive King Abdallah of Jordan.
A police source told BFM TV the incident resembled a “kamikaze attack”. A journalist from the French daily Libération saw a car blocking the path of police vans, followed by an explosion.
Monday’s foiled terror attack occurred a day after the end of France’s parliamentary elections, which saw President Emmanuel Macron’s party win a majority, due to a soaring abstention rate of some 20 percent since 2012 to reach an historic high of 58 percent overall.
The most heavily-immigrant and Muslim area –Seine-Saint-Denis adjacent to Paris, had the highest abstention of the 102 departments.
Macron plans to normalise the state of emergency with a formal bill this Wednesday, suggesting that the government sees no end to the spate of terror attacks. The country has been under a state of emergency since 2015.
France’s anti-terror prosecutor has opened an investigation. According to BFM TV sources the driver was a 33-year-old, known to intelligence services as listed on “fiche S”, and thus considered a threat to security.
A policeman was shot dead and two others were wounded in an attack on the Champs-Élysées in April, just days before the first round of the presidential election.
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
It appears to be the true picture of Portugal that migrants do not want to go to the country as other EU members await the imminent arrival of millions of Africans.
The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack in which 13 people were killed and over a hundred pedestrians injured when a white van rammed into unsuspecting holidaymakers.
INTERVIEWInterview with Alexander Hug, Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine.
A car crashed through the front of a pizzeria on Monday evening in Seine-et-Marne, near Paris, killing a teenage girl. The 32-year-old male driver is believed to have "intentionally" crashed into the terrace on Rue du Commerce, Sept-Sorts in a "drugged state".
MOSCOWMoscow: Russian national oil company Rosneft joins a historical law battle against oligarch Vladimir Yevtushenkov
RomeDoctors Without Borders (MSF) will suspend its migrant rescues in the Mediterranean, the organisation declared on Saturday after Italian government moved to halt the human trafficking from North Africa.
German-Dutch freelance reporter Claudia Zimmermann faced innumerable hardships after exposing her employer, German public broadcaster WDR, for Soviet-style censorship of the migrant crisis. Zimmermann faced rejected contributions, calls to boycott her and even a public letter refuting her reporting which she says had been strictly factual.
LondonThe Weekly Standard (WS), a British daily, reported that the recent influx of African migrants, particularly from Somalia and the Congo, has caused a spike in knife crimes.
RomeThe Italian Prime Minister met with George Soros in secret in May, just as concerned Italians were beginning to expose the spiderweb of Soros-funded NGO's operating in the country to promote immigration.
WarsawPoland is not considering the deployment of US medium-and short-range missiles on its territory for the moment, Polish Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski told the Kommersant business daily.