Skip to Content

The Kremlin (Stock photo from Pexels)
Moscow

Putin refuses to extradite citizens for ‘meddling in US elections’

Russia will not extradite its citizens who are accused by the US of allegedly interfering in the US elections in 2016, Vladimir Putin said in an interview with NBC. And Russians will not be bullied.

Published: March 5, 2018, 10:06 am

    “Never. Russia does not extradite its citizens to anyone – and neither does the United States,” he said. Putin also explained that the accused were not represented by the Russian authorities. “What exactly they did, if anything, I have no idea,” he said.

    The president asked his American counterparts to send relevant proof instead of just spreading stories to the media. “We are ready to look [at evidence] and talk about it,” Putin said.

    The special council of Office of US Attorney General, Robert Mueller, who is investigating the so-called Russian interference in the US elections in 2016, published an indictment against private individuals suspected of committing this crime.

    The document, which was prepared over nine months, is some 40 pages long and mentions 13 Russians. All of them worked for a Russian businessman, Yevgeny Prigozhin as social media marketers. According to the information released by the special prosecutor, the individuals could not have affected the results of the election of the US president on their own.

    Earlier, in his yearly address to the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation President Putin announced the development and fielding of new types of strategic weapons which will render the US global missile defense systems useless.

    In 2002, when the US unilaterally ended the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) treaty, and in 2004 when the US and NATO included global missile defense into their strategic nuclear forces’ drills, Russia warned that it would have to respond to such a development. The ABM treaty had created global stability by guaranteeing Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD).

    Additionally the US has shown no interest in renewing the only two strategic weapon control agreements still in force. The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) will end in 2019 and the New START Treaty, which limits the number of deployed nuclear warheads and delivery vehicles, expires by 2021.

    Last week the Trump administration published its Nuclear Posture Review which includes several new elements that threaten early escalation.

    In response, President Putin announced a new intercontinental missile SARMAT with unprecedented reach. Launched from Russia it can reach the continental US from any direction, even flying over the South Pole, and thus renders any concentrated missile defense like the one in Alaska useless.

    The next system introduced is a cruise missile with a nuclear power plant which makes any anti-missile system practically useless. “Cold air that enters the missile at the front is superheated by a special nuclear reactor, exits at the rear and gives the missile an enormous thrust,” blogger Moon of Alabama noted.

    At the end of 2017 Russia successfully launched the newest nuclear-powered cruise missile at the central proving ground. No other country but Russia has such a system.

    Another weapon with a nuclear drive system is the new super fast submarine drone Status 6 or Kanyon. Its development was leaked in 2015, and its purpose is to destroy aircraft carrier groups and/or whole harbors. The new torpedo and the new cruise missiles will both carry nuclear warheads.

    The fourth system Putin announced is a hypersonic air launched cruise missile named Kinzhal [or Dagger in English] which, he said, has been successfully tested and is already in combat duty in the southern Russian defense sector. The missile is maneuverable and flies at ten times the speed of sound with a range of 2 000 kilometers. It can be armed with conventional or nuclear warheads.

    Putin spoke of two other weapon systems which are still in development. One is the maneuverable hypersonic glider Avangard which flies beyond the stratosphere at twenty times the speed of sound and comes down onto its targets “like a meteor”. Another weapon shown in a short spot is a ground based laser system for air defense.

    Meanwhile, the British tabloid Metro has called the weapon “Bride of Satan”. In their opinion, the new models of Russian weapons represent a major technological breakthrough that can dramatically increase Russia’s military capabilities, “to strengthen its position in the international arena and to provoke a new arms race”.

    The Russian response is actually an answer to a two decades-long unilateral arms deployment and NATO’s encroachment on Russia’s border. Putin had announced his intentions to counter these advances eleven years ago in Munich, at the global security conference.

    “I hope that everything that was said today will bring any potential aggressor down to earth,” the Russian leader added.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    Europe

    World Cup is destroying UK’s anti-Russian propaganda

    The World Cup in Russia is turning out to be a stunning success and a PR disaster for Britain's anti-Russian cohorts. Even BBC sports journalists and pundits are ignoring propaganda narratives and going off-message to enthuse about everything Russian, especially the welcome they are receiving.

    Migrant accused of teen’s murder boasted about everything being free

    Ali B, the alleged murderer of a German teen, as well as his family raved to relatives back in Iraq that they would not have to work and that they would be given free money by the state.

    Matteo Salvini. Photo: matteoslavini.it

    Salvini calls for Roma census as top Vatican official heads for Bilderberg

    Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini on Monday announced the intention of holding a special census of Roma people in Italy with the intention of closing all illegal Roma camps in the country.

    Head of German job centre caught rioting with extremists

    WuppertalThe German state of North Rhine-Westphalia is already well-stocked with leftists. But the chief of an urban job center has taken his ideology to the next level.

    Salvini blocks two more NGO vessels from entering Italian ports

    RomeOn Saturday Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Salvini warned that another two migrant rescue vessels arriving from the Libyan coast would not be allowed to dock with their "human cargo" at an Italian port.

    Dutch teens are drinking themselves into a coma

    Dutch teenagers drinking themselves to the point of needing to be hospitalised rose again last year, the NRC said on Friday.

    Almost half of Syrian migrants suffer from mental illness Dutch study shows

    More than 40 percent of Syrian asylum applicants in the Netherlands have psychological problems like depression and anxiety or worse, according to a study by the Dutch social and cultural planning office SCP.

    Counter-terrorism gives green light to Wilders’ Mohammad cartoon contest

    Dutch PVV leader Geert Wilders has been given the green light to organise a Mohammed cartoon competition in the Dutch House of Representatives.

    Another teenage girl stabbed to death in Germany

    A Turkish migrant has turned himself in to German police, after the fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old girl in the German town of Viersen, near Düsseldorf.

    NATO announces expansion as trade war with EU hots up

    NATO unveiled new plans during a two-day meeting of its defence ministers in Brussels, ahead of a NATO summit to be attended by US President Donald Trump as the trade war between former allies grows hotter.

    Go to archive