Biggest Black Lives Matter Facebook page run by white scammer
The biggest Black Lives Matter Facebook page was exposed as a scam run by middle-aged white Australian man.
Published: April 11, 2018, 11:11 am
The Facebook page and associated accounts and websites, had almost 700 000 followers, more than twice as many as the official Black Lives Matter page, CNN reported.
The page ran online fundraisers to the tune of $100 000 for Black Lives Matter causes in the US, but some of the money was transferred to Australian bank accounts.
People who thought they were contributing to the anti-white movement, were actually contributing to the accounts of a white Australian Ian Mackay, instead.
MacKay was a member of the National Union of Workers official in Australia until his recent suspension because of his fundraisung scam. The union represents thousands of workers across various industries in Australia.
A spokesperson for the National Union of Workers confirmed that he had been suspended together with one other official while it investigates the scam.
The fundraising campaigns on the Facebook page were suspended by PayPal, Donorbox, Classy, and Patreon after CNN contacted them. The Facebook page had consistently linked to websites tied to MacKay.
Facebook’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s is currently giving testimony before Congress on privacy. Facebook has meanwhile announced plans for verifications of identity and location. However, Facebook initially said the BLM page did not violate its “Community Standards”.
With almost 40 000 members, the BLM Facebook group was also the biggest group supporting the Black Lives Matter movement in the US.
The high-ranking Australian union official not only ran Black Lives Matter but also other domain names linking to so-called black rights to solicit donations from the movement’s supporters. The other websites were blacklivesnews.com, blackkillingsmatter.com and backfists.com, among more than 100 site names in total.
Domain records show that in 2015 MacKay registered the site blackpowerfist.com, which operated as a Reddit-like discussion forum that encouraged donations. Mackay used his union email address to register the site.
The NUW’s national secretary, Tim Kennedy, told the Guardian that the union was not involved in the scam. “The NUW is not involved in and has not authorised any activities with reference to claims made.”
In response, Facebook said: “We investigated this situation as soon as it was brought to our attention, and disabled the page admin for maintaining multiple profiles on the platform”.
“We continue to look into the situation and will take the necessary action in line with our policies.”
All rights reserved. You have permission to quote freely from the articles provided that the source (www.freewestmedia.com) is given. Photos may not be used without our consent.
Keep your language polite. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in, for example, Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.
If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violations of any law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.
If your comments are subject to preview by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.
We reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.
An Islamic State-linked media outlet says a Canadian man - not Russia - was behind the terror group’s highest-profile cyber attacks, including the takeover of the Twitter account of the US military’s Central Command.
Ahead of the 2018 midterm elections in the United States, the mainstream media were directing their campaign reporting against Republicans.
The number of US troops to be deployed at the Mexico border could reach 15 000, President Trump said on Wednesday afternoon.
WashingtonOn Monday, President Trump warned the illegal caravan approaching the US border from the south that the US military was waiting for them.
WashingtonJamal Khashoggi was not the first victim of the Saudi regime allegedly hunted down and murdered. And President Donald Trump and his family, including son-in-law Jared Kushner, have meanwhile been supporting Saudi Arabia’s bizarre explanation for the murder of Washington-based Saudi journalist Khashoggi.
WashingtonA US federal report has revealed glaring cyber vulnerabilities in US weapons systems. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) report also found that defense officials believed the security measures were able to defeat hackers, even though outside teams were easily able to penetrate systems.
According to a law enforcement official, examiners are looking at whether the mail bombs sent to US Democrats over the last 48 hours were "hoax devices". What looked like bombs seen on television, may have been fakes.
According to reports, there is now a second migrant caravan heading for the US of around 1000 people. They crossed from Honduras into Guatemala on Sunday night. The first wave comprises between 10 000 and 14 000 migrants, and includes notorious MS-13 gang members.
US President Donald Trump told a defense round-table in Arizona that he would not allow the caravan of migrants from Honduras into the United States, because there are hardened criminals in the group.
American left-wing groups are openly discussing mass executions and planned murders of prominent conservatives, and they’re using Twitter to communicate their plans.