Skip to Content

Not Gillette. Photo from Pexels

Gillette warns against ‘toxic masculinity’

Razor manufacturer Gillette has jumped into the #metoo movement. In a commercial, the company that has been selling shaving to men, warns against "toxic masculinity".

Published: January 16, 2019, 9:54 am

    In a related tweet, the company even questions male behaviour: “Is not it time that we stop apologising for bad behavior?” Above all, the notion that “boys are just boys” is the focus of the creators of the video.

    The tagline on YouTube where the controversial advertisement was released, reads: “Bullying. Harassment. Is this the best a man can get? It’s only by challenging ourselves to do more, that we can get closer to our best. Instead of excuses, we need to make a change.”

    Part of the advert also features a man explaining what a woman in a meeting was trying to say.

    Men are portrayed as aggressive and power-driven individuals, a breath away from the next sexual assault. Unsurprisingly, most reactions on the social media networks have been very negative. Gilette posted the ad on social media on Monday.

    “Hey, Gillette, stay out of politics,” wrote American talk show host Joe Pags Pagliarulo. “Real men already stop other guys from acting badly. A razor company should want me to shave with your product. And, by the way I’m extremely masculine. And there’s nothing wrong with that.”

    Zuhdi Jasser, who has regular guest appearances on various television channels in the US, asked the company via Twitter: “I dare you to market your new #TheBestMenCanBe campaign on your @GilletteArabia website and in Arabic? You’d already be doing that if you really cared about fighting misogyny.”

    The company is facing a huge backlash, with 250 000 dislikes on YouTube, and only 49 000 likes – mostly from feminist-leaning women who do not shave. Comments below the ad include one user suggesting Gillette “fire your advertising team and your board members”, while another asks “if your target demographic is men, why create an advertisement with feminist propaganda portraying men as bad people?”.

    Many critics – including British TV host Piers Morgan – also took to social media to say they would no longer be buying Gillette products because the brand “insulted their own user base”.

    A user in the UK tweeted: “So we just started 2019, and already a company has started pushing sexism towards Men… @Gillette have now become a Leftist Bigot Company that insulted their own user base by calling them ‘Sexists'”.

    Morgan said he would no longer be using the products. “I am not a bad person because I am male.”

    Canadian conservative Ezra Levant said he had been using Gillette products for 30 years but would no longer be buying them.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • Scaramouche

      Good. It’s good to see companies with so much business that they can afford to alienate their primary market. I wont be using their products anymore

    Americas

    Senators from both US parties push for fresh sanctions against Russia

    WashingtonUS senators from both main parties are preparing additional sanctions against Russia, despite the Senate Intelligence Committee having uncovered no direct evidence of collusion between the President Trump's campaign and Russia.

    Russian meddling in US elections never happened

    WashingtonThe alleged Russian influence campaign - or meddling - in US elections never happened but was used to smear Russia and undermine the election of President Donald Trump.

    Italy’s Deputy FM urges EU to stop meddling in Venezuela

    RomeItalian Deputy Foreign Minister on Monday joined indignation expressed by Russia and China over efforts to meddle in crisis-hit Venezuela after the EU Parliament also voted, in a non-legislative resolution, to recognise opposition leader Juan Guaido as interim president of the oil-rich nation.

    Covington: Innocent white teenagers framed by hostile media

    WashingtonAmerican mainstream media reported this week that a group of white school children harassed a group of Native American, black and minority adults when footage of the interaction shows that the exact opposite happened.

    Brazil withdraws from UN Migration Compact

    BrasiliaNew Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro announced the withdrawal from the UN Global Compact on Migration as he had promised to do earlier.

    US government shutdown could be bad for Israel

    WashingtonThe US government shutdown has continued for 18 days. Now defense contractors and lobbyists are starting to worry that it could be bad for Israel.

    US national defence hierarchy now run by women

    WashingtonThe United States' national defense hierarchy is, for the first time in history, largely run by women. According to mainstream MSNBC, women have taken over the US military-industrial complex.

    Facebook bans conservatives but fails to stop child exploitation apps

    Facebook monitors billions of posts per day in over 100 languages. The company’s solution is a network of ideologically-minded workers that ban content with the help of PowerPoint slides. That sadly does not include child porn on third-party apps.

    Columbia student defends his remarks about ‘white achievements’

    New YorkColumbia University student Julian von Abele, whose comments on Twitter about white people went viral earlier this week, released a statement on Tuesday defending himself.

    Chile pulls out of Marrakesch

    SantiagoChile has joined the growing exodus from the United Nations Migration Compact. It has become the latest country to withdraw, President's Sebastian Pinera's administration announced.

    Go to archive