Skip to Content

Szilard Nemeth, Wikipedia

Hungary convenes anti-immigration cabinet as border crisis looms

Hungarian state secretary at the Ministry of Defence, Szilard Nemeth has convened a Fidesz anti-immigration cabinet for Monday. Nemeth described the migration situation on Hungary’s southern border and the West Balkans as very serious, dangerous and a warning to all at a press briefing this week.

Published: December 7, 2019, 8:10 am

    Budapest

    Fidesz’s anti-immigration cabinet was established in October 2018. The cabinet’s 17 members are MPs from all over the country.

    Almost 100 000 migrants are massing in the West Balkans and although “the situation is still under control”, it is “beginning to look like the big crisis in 2015,” he said.

    If these migrants are “let loose on the Hungarian border, there could be big trouble, and we must prepare for that possibility”. This is why it is essential, he said, that the “state of emergency” in connection with mass migration was extended in September as it provides the necessary legal basis for the protection of the border.

    It is also important, Nemeth underscored, that the Strasbourg-based European Court of Human Rights has declared that confining migrants to the transit zone does not equal imprisonment, thus, “everything that the pro-migration opposition has said about either the transit zone or the state of emergency in connection with mass migration has been proved false”.

    The West Balkans is key to the security of Europe and Hungary, the politician said, noting that this is why the government supports the accession of the countries of that region to the European Union and NATO.

    Gyorgy Bakondi, chief domestic security advisor to Prime Minister Viktor Orban, told public radio on Sunday morning that over 11 400 migrants had attempted to enter Hungary illegally from January to November this year as against 5 400 in the corresponding period of last year.

    At present there are more than 106 000 registered migrants along the Balkan route, excluding the huge number of illegal arrivals.

    Orban said in London on Wednesday that NATO has acknowledged for the first time that mass migration from the south poses a security risk that the alliance must address.

    Speaking to Hungarian public media on the sidelines of the summit marking the alliance’s 70th anniversary, Orban said NATO membership had always been important to Hungary, noting that it joined the alliance in 1999.

    NATO membership is also “an important element of identity” to the Christian “nationally minded” forces, the prime minister said, noting that it was under his first government that Hungary joined the military alliance.

    Since then, the world has seen the emergence of new challenges, Orban said, naming mass migration and the security risks that come with it, such as terrorism, as examples.

    He said NATO had already accepted in the past that mass migration was a threat but had never considered it one of the biggest challenges facing the alliance.

    “This has now changed,” Orban said. The prime minister called it a “major step” that NATO has acknowledged the need to address the issue of mass migration from the south.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • LuciusAnnaeusSeneca

      Hungary has a very proper right to be concerned about mass migration. Per media reporting, there are already up to 100,000 illegal migrants in Europe either headed toward the border of EU countries with the Balkans, or moving toward it. Hungary and Croatia are on the front line of this new migrant route (actually a bundle of individual routes) running from Greece northward through the Western Balkans. The Hungarians have already had a number of attempts by illegals to tunnel under their border fence, or find other means of illegal entry. Greece has been frustrated by the EU and the pro-migration lobby in its efforts to better secure its borders. Meanwhile, Turkey has at least 3.5 million so-called “refugees” in its territory that it could unleash on the European continent, through the Balkans. There could certainly be a repeat of the 2015 “Walking Jihad”. Or worse.

    Europe

    Nigerians terrorize Italian city

    PaduaThe Nigerian mafia has been busy in the Italian city of Padua. In less than 24 hours there were two violent episodes in the city center, and as always on via Diego Valeri.

    France: 41 percent ‘ignore’ news

    A survey carried out for a newspaper shows a growing distrust of the French towards the media.

    Gang rapes: Number of foreign suspects in Germany increasing

    BerlinThe proportion of foreign suspects in gang rapes in Germany has increased significantly in the past five years. This is despite the fact that the total number of suspects decreased between 2015 and 2017.

    Candidate recruits people of  ‘Turkish origin’ for French municipal elections

    Given the extent of the controversy, Mohamed Dine has now deleted his ad, previously posted on his Facebook page.

    Charlie Hebdo also defended pedophilia

    ParisLike part of the libertarian left at the time, the satirical newspaper supported three pedophile criminals, accused of having abused minors, before they were sentenced in 1977.

    Conservative German author’s reading cancelled in Dresden

    DresdenGerman author Uwe Tellkamp had his reading cancelled. It was not because of a lack of public interest, illness of the organiser or an important participant, or official orders for violations of the fire protection regulations. No, it had to be canceled because the author has a certain opinion.

    Pedophile personalities shake up French literary scene

    ParisThe French writer Gabriel Matzneff who has been accused by the novelist Vanessa Springora of pedophilia, benefits from low-cost housing in the heart of Paris which was allocated to him in 1994. Some other sordid facts about him and his friends have resurfaced.

    AfD sues German domestic spy agency over tracking

    BerlinThe AfD intends to take legal action against the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, the domestic spy agency.

    Dispute over German broadcaster’s “environmental pig” song continues

    CologneSeveral editors from German public broadcaster WDR have accused director Tom Buhrow of harming the broadcaster with the so-called "environmental pig" affair. On Tuesday there will therefore be an editorial meeting in which Buhrow will also take part.

    Cars in flames all over France at the start of the New Year

    The car-burnings in France continue. There were burnt cars in Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Limoges, Nantes and other cities.

    Go to archive