Skip to Content

Martin Sellner; Brittany Pettibone. Screenshot from YouTube

Austrian court rules in favor of IB leader after house search

Martin Sellner is the leader of the Austrian chapter of the Identitarian movement. As early as 2018 his house was raided and searched by the police, and then the same thing happened earlier this year after the Christchurch massacre in New Zealand.

Published: December 16, 2019, 10:21 am

    Read more

    Vienna

    An Austrian court recently ruled that the search of Sellner’s house was illegal, reported Austrian daily Der Kurier.

    A court in Graz, Austria upheld several complaints submitted by the head of the Identitäre Bewegung Österreichs, The initial grounds for suspicion do not appear to have been sufficient.

    Monetary donations from the Christchurch shooting suspect were the starting point for house searches in Martin Sellner’s apartment in Vienna in March of 2019. The head of the Identitarian Movement Austria (IBÖ) had received a donation from the perpetrator several months previously.

    The case was being investigated on suspicion of his being involved in a terrorist organisation (penal code §278b (2)). Sellner then publicised the house searches on his blog. Three months later, investigators again visited Sellner. Investigations were also conducted against his then partner and current wife, activist Brittany Pettibone.

    Sellner then lodged a formal complaint against the house searches, and won this past Friday in court.

    According to information provided by the public prosecutor’s office in Graz, the court ruled in Sellner’s favor for multiple complaints. For example, access to his bank accounts should not have been granted. The court ruled there had been insufficient grounds for suspicion against the IBÖ leader for authorities to carry out these actions.

    Sellner intended to announce the good news on Saturday afternoon in the Vino restaurant near Vienna’s Rathausplatz, the same restaurant in which Heinz-Christian Strache held his resignation press conference.

    However, the restaurant issued a house ban against the Identitarian leader Sellner. “Once again we are standing outside because we are not allowed in. My office is on the street,” Sellner began his speech to the journalists present and many of his followers.

    The “damage to reputation” caused by the tabloid media was also an issue, but Sellner told the Kurier that he would not be taking any legal action, explaining that the negative headlines had not led to a decline in the number of members and supporters of  the movement.

    “Every T-shirt order was leaked, but people reacted with defiance and anger. I was very happy about that,” says Sellner. The latest legal ruling could actually pave the way for the movement to become a new party, but that isn’t what the IBÖ is striving for, according to Sellner.

    “I think that the Ibiza scandal [which devastated the FPÖ and ended Heinz-Christian Strache’s political career] may have been a wake-up call for Austria’s patriots,” he said. “They now realise that parliamentary patriotism will by no means save our homeland,” Sellner said.

    The illegal house searches were not the first time that the IBÖ had to face political meddling. A Graz criminal court had previously unsuccessfully litigated against 17 followers of the movement.

    The accused were cleared of all charges of hate crimes and forming a criminal organisation. At the beginning of the trial, the public prosecutor treated the accused very harshly. “They present themselves as a group of the law-abiding and are perpetually breaking the law.”

    There were also accusations of property damage related to various IBÖ initiatives called “Integration ist Lüge” [Integration is a lie]. This also included storming a university lecture in Klagenfurt, during which the University President was allegedly punched in the stomach. However, the Identitarians won the court case after an appeal at the beginning of the 2019.

    Keep ​your language polite​. Readers from many different countries visit and contribute to Free West Media and we must therefore obey the rules in​,​ for example​, ​Germany. Illegal content will be deleted.

    If you have been approved to post comments without preview from FWM, you are responsible for violation​s​ of​ any​ law. This means that FWM may be forced to cooperate with authorities in a possible crime investigation.

    If your comments are subject to preview ​by FWM, please be patient. We continually review comments but depending on the time of day it can take up to several hours before your comment is reviewed.

    We reserve the right to del​ete​ comments that are offensive, contain slander or foul language, or are irrelevant to the discussion.

    • Congratulations to Martin and Brittany whose movement is being smeared by the organised far-Left in an attempt to link GI (and the idea of population replacement) with terror to try to force judicial authorities to stamp on them.

    Europe

    Nigerians terrorize Italian city

    PaduaThe Nigerian mafia has been busy in the Italian city of Padua. In less than 24 hours there were two violent episodes in the city center, and as always on via Diego Valeri.

    France: 41 percent ‘ignore’ news

    A survey carried out for a newspaper shows a growing distrust of the French towards the media.

    Gang rapes: Number of foreign suspects in Germany increasing

    BerlinThe proportion of foreign suspects in gang rapes in Germany has increased significantly in the past five years. This is despite the fact that the total number of suspects decreased between 2015 and 2017.

    Candidate recruits people of  ‘Turkish origin’ for French municipal elections

    Given the extent of the controversy, Mohamed Dine has now deleted his ad, previously posted on his Facebook page.

    Charlie Hebdo also defended pedophilia

    ParisLike part of the libertarian left at the time, the satirical newspaper supported three pedophile criminals, accused of having abused minors, before they were sentenced in 1977.

    Conservative German author’s reading cancelled in Dresden

    DresdenGerman author Uwe Tellkamp had his reading cancelled. It was not because of a lack of public interest, illness of the organiser or an important participant, or official orders for violations of the fire protection regulations. No, it had to be canceled because the author has a certain opinion.

    Pedophile personalities shake up French literary scene

    ParisThe French writer Gabriel Matzneff who has been accused by the novelist Vanessa Springora of pedophilia, benefits from low-cost housing in the heart of Paris which was allocated to him in 1994. Some other sordid facts about him and his friends have resurfaced.

    AfD sues German domestic spy agency over tracking

    BerlinThe AfD intends to take legal action against the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, the domestic spy agency.

    Dispute over German broadcaster’s “environmental pig” song continues

    CologneSeveral editors from German public broadcaster WDR have accused director Tom Buhrow of harming the broadcaster with the so-called "environmental pig" affair. On Tuesday there will therefore be an editorial meeting in which Buhrow will also take part.

    Cars in flames all over France at the start of the New Year

    The car-burnings in France continue. There were burnt cars in Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Limoges, Nantes and other cities.

    Go to archive